• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Can someone explain Glide numbers?

There's a reason most pro's pay no attention what so ever to flight numbers, because those numbers can totally be skewed depending on your arm speed. Why is this? Because Simon can bomb a glide 3 disc 600 feet and make it flex, where as the normal human might be lucky to hit 300 feet and probably can't even make the disc flip up to flat.

There's a reason most pro's pay no attention what so ever to flight numbers, because those numbers can totally be skewed depending on your arm speed. Why is this? Because Simon can bomb a glide 3 disc 600 feet and make it flex, where as the normal human might be lucky to hit 300 feet and probably can't even make the disc flip up to flat.

And he can also throw a putter close to 500 with out turning it over and burning into the ground.

Low glide is all about consistency. A disc with low glide will only go as far as you throw it and that is very useful sometimes.

Basically big bomber pros have enough power to throw a low glide disc exactly where they want it. Remove glide as a variable for consistencies sake

Hmmm, ok. So are low glide discs in general better for people that throw 500 or farther? Or can it be useful to other players as well? And since we're on the topic of numbers, are the speed numbers sort of related to how far you can throw that disc compared to a higher or lower speed # disc?

So meaning, lets say I throw a max D drive 400' with a 12/5/-1/2 disc. Would a speed 10 disc go about 380? Or 360? Or 340 compared to that speed 12? All other things being equal?

And then lets add in lower glide. If I throw max D 400' with that same disc, what would the distance be if I threw a 12/3/0/3? And would the height of the shot be affected? Or the skip when it lands? Thanks

Second this. You;ll love the Berg. Fantastic for FH and BH upshots. Very resistant to turning over and drops like a rock when it's done.

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but, I believe, that higher glide also makes any nose angle issues more apparent. In my experience, this seems true. I used to love my River when I was a beginner because it gave me much more distance than some other discs I was throwing but as I got better my FD became my FW of choice as it seemed less finicky about angles in general and especially nose angle.

Good to hear. It seems like SUCH a unique great disc to bag for all sorts of weird shots as well as putting. I've read so many great things about them, so I'm really excited to get mine and see how it fly's. Thanks for the tip

There's no easy answer to those questions. I throw Outlaws just over 400' and probably all of my other drivers can get out to 380' if I really push them. But they have to take drastically different flight paths to get there. The faster and higher-glide discs can be thrown on a lower, straighter line.

Differences in speed, glide, and fade don't necessarily translate directly to distance numbers. More to the shape of the flight path than anything. If a disc has low glide then it flies more like a projectile and doesn't float as much. You'll need to throw it on a higher line to get the same distance. Discs with more fade will need to be flexed over and take more of an S-curve path to get the same D.

I use low-glide discs in the approach slots in my bag. Gator and Scale are great examples. There's less risk of blowing past the basket or getting pushed around by the wind. My beat Scale goes straight and drops to the ground. There's a use for that, no matter how far you throw.

And since we're on the topic of numbers, are the speed numbers sort of related to how far you can throw that disc compared to a higher or lower speed # disc?

The speed rating of a disc really doesn't have much to do with distance a disc will fly, but rather how hard the disc will need to be thrown in order to make the disc fly like it is designed to.

For example, a Destroyer is rated at 12/5/-1/3, so you would think the disc is a little on the understable side. And for a big arm, it will be. But if you're a bigger who is only throwing 250-350', that disc is going to be a total meathook. So it's going to hyzer the entire flight and go right into the ground. So if you're a 250-350' thrower, you're going to get more distance from 7-9 speed discs, rather than a 11-13 speed disc. The slower discs are going to flex more and glide for you, where as the high speed discs are just going to hyzer and fight their way to the ground the entire flight.

So the speed of the disc is relative to how hard you have to throw it in order to get the desired flight characteristics. So a destroyer (12 5 -1 3) speed is going to need to be thrown harder (faster) than an orc (10 5 -1 3) to get that -1 3 flight.

Low glide discs are great for everyone. A lot of my approach shots I use a lower glide putter ( I use a pa2: 3 3 0 2) to easily range in the distance. As opposed to something like a wizard (3 5 0 2) which will offer over shoot the target due to the glide.

Again that's not to say high glide is bad. Both sides of glide are useful

So the speed of the disc is relative to how hard you have to throw it in order to get the desired flight characteristics. So a destroyer (12 5 -1 3) speed is going to need to be thrown harder (faster) than an orc (10 5 -1 3) to get that -1 3 flight.

Low glide discs are great for everyone. A lot of my approach shots I use a lower glide putter ( I use a pa2: 3 3 0 2) to easily range in the distance. As opposed to something like a wizard (3 5 0 2) which will offer over shoot the target due to the glide.

Again that's not to say high glide is bad. Both sides of glide are useful

Yeah, I understand that about the different speeds and having to throw it harder for a lower glide disc. I also understand that a low glide approach disc is much more preferable to a high glide disc. I know in order to throw a speed 12 you need a lot of power, and that it takes less power to throw a speed 7.

But I'm saying, in a scenario where a player throws his max D driver 400' lets say, how much less distance (no wind, dead flat, same exact throw, etc just a normal field throw) would a speed 10 go? How much less distance would a speed 9 go? 7? Etc. I'm trying to figure out if you throw discs at different speeds like you choose a golf club in golf?

I pull out my driver to hit the ball 300. I pull out my 3 wood to hit 260-280 with much more control. I pull out my 3 iron to hit 240-250. I pull out a 6 iron to hit around 190-200, etc. The different clubs allow me to hit different distances. Where is that info for disc golf?

I don't see any information like that for disc golf. It seems MUCH more vague and complicated. I just want to know, if someone throws max D speed 12 drivers 400', how far should that person expect to throw a speed 11, 10, 9, 7, 5 disc (everything else being the same. Meaning all have normal glide and go pretty straight)? What should the gaps in distance be on avg between a speed 11 and 9? And does taking into account a lower glide, make the distances less per the same speed disc? So meaning, if I throw a 9/5/0/1 disc vs a 9/3/0/3 disc, and I throw the first disc on avg 350', how far (all things being the same) should the lower glide disc go? All of this glide, speed, etc is so confusing and too open to a million interpretations of arm speed, distance to the pin, personal preference, throwing style etc etc. It's so confusing. I just want to know aprox how far the different speed discs will go if I throw 400' max with a speed 12 driver. Thanks

Yeah, I understand that about the different speeds and having to throw it harder for a lower glide disc. I also understand that a low glide approach disc is much more preferable to a high glide disc. I know in order to throw a speed 12 you need a lot of power, and that it takes less power to throw a speed 7.

But I'm saying, in a scenario where a player throws his max D driver 400' lets say, how much less distance (no wind, dead flat, same exact throw, etc just a normal field throw) would a speed 10 go? How much less distance would a speed 9 go? 7? Etc. I'm trying to figure out if you throw discs at different speeds like you choose a golf club in golf?

I pull out my driver to hit the ball 300. I pull out my 3 wood to hit 260-280 with much more control. I pull out my 3 iron to hit 240-250. I pull out a 6 iron to hit around 190-200, etc. The different clubs allow me to hit different distances. Where is that info for disc golf?

I don't see any information like that for disc golf. It seems MUCH more vague and complicated. I just want to know, if someone throws max D speed 12 drivers 400', how far should that person expect to throw a speed 11, 10, 9, 7, 5 disc (everything else being the same. Meaning all have normal glide and go pretty straight)? What should the gaps in distance be on avg between a speed 11 and 9? And does taking into account a lower glide, make the distances less per the same speed disc? So meaning, if I throw a 9/5/0/1 disc vs a 9/3/0/3 disc, and I throw the first disc on avg 350', how far (all things being the same) should the lower glide disc go? All of this glide, speed, etc is so confusing and too open to a million interpretations of arm speed, distance to the pin, personal preference, throwing style etc etc. It's so confusing. I just want to know aprox how far the different speed discs will go if I throw 400' max with a speed 12 driver. Thanks
That info doesn't exist for disc golf. The numbers are a guideline and not always consistent manufacturer to manufacturer. I honestly like the old discraft numbers. They told you how flippy or not a disc was and that's about it. I see people online getting wrapped up in assigning .5 increments on flight numbers and think they're crazy.

That info doesn't exist for disc golf. The numbers are a guideline and not always consistent manufacturer to manufacturer. I honestly like the old discraft numbers. They told you how flippy or not a disc was and that's about it. I see people online getting wrapped up in assigning .5 increments on flight numbers and think they're crazy.

Wow, that's not what I wanted to hear, hahaha. That sucks!

The correct strategy is to buy way too many discs, try them out and see how far they go, then sell 90% of them on the marketplace so other people can do the same thing.

Alternatively, you can keep them in boxes in your basement, for the day that you decide to give that Krait/Quasar/Corvette/QuarterK a try again (probably never).

Then you'll have it all figured out.

The correct strategy is to buy way too many discs, try them out and see how far they go, then sell 90% of them on the marketplace so other people can do the same thing.

Alternatively, you can keep them in boxes in your basement, for the day that you decide to give that Krait/Quasar/Corvette/QuarterK a try again (probably never).

HAHAHAHA, I guess that is one way to go about it, haha. And where would I be selling all these extra discs I have? On eBay or is there a used disc sellers page here? Thanks

HAHAHAHA, I guess that is one way to go about it, haha. And where would I be selling all these extra discs I have? On eBay or is there a used disc sellers page here? Thanks

Facebook marketplace nowadays, though the marketplace on DGCR used to be booming with activity. Hell, DGR used to have a somewhat lively marketplace as well. Sellers market at this point, it's easier to get what you want when it's more of a public bidding war than niche forum posts.

Yeah there really are no rules for how discs fly, just kinda arbitrary numbers. However, the system vaguely makes sense. High speed numbers need to be thrown harder but go farther.

For the ball golf analogy, putters = wedges (but you can still drive with then), mids = irons (but some acheive fairway distance), fairways = woods ( but can be good for a controlled drive or specific shot shape), drivers = drivers duh (but some people use them for upshots due to the consistency of under powering a fast disc)

Ymmv

Last edited:

Don't forget that in the end you'll end up throwing Wizard/Aviar, Buzzz/Roc, or Teebird/TB clone for 80%+ of your shots anyway.

I mean, Infinite has Wizards with a 3 glide, Flight analyzer gives them a 2. Not sure where that 5 glide came from.

Wizard_Disc_Info.png

Last edited: