• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you mix Jacquard iDye Poly colors before dyeing?

sunnycheeba

Ok so this will be my first attempt at dyeing any discs. Went to buy my dye and my local store only had a few colors of the iDye Poly in stock, and they only offer the 8 original colors anyway.

So, I was wondering, is it possible to mix colors?
If so, does anyone have suggested ratios?
Do I dissolve the packet in water and then mix that liquid, or do I cut open the packet and mix the dye directly, then mix that into water? Is this even necessary if I plan to use the shaving cream method?

I want to create a teal color, a light purple, and a very bright golden orange. I have red, blue, and yellow. :\ Figures they would be out of stock of the standard green, orange, purple. Is this because you can't mix them?

I mix all of my individual colors in mason jars then mix the colors together in small batches to blend custom colors.

Especially with a shaving cream dye job, just mix small batches of color for each project.

you can mix all of the colors however you want. i find it easier to mix colors after i've dissolved the colors into whatever solution i'm using - a little bit goes a looooong way! i don't have a specific ratio, though.

i cut the packet; since i just paint with detergent, i don't like having any leftovers in my solution. i do believe there is a shaving cream tutorial on this thread somewhere as well! should get you started.

in the future, however, i would have a browse before posting new threads - if you don't, you'll catch some flak for it: most of this stuff has been answered before. :) good luck with your dye!

Last edited:
If you are doing the shaving cream method, I would mix the colors together when you make the "Shaving cream + dye solution".

If you have never used paints it is very similar the following step by step would be my reccommendation:

1: Add shaving cream to the tumbler or cup

2: Add the lighter color dye of the two being mixed to the shaving cream and stir it a bit.

3: Add a small amount of the darker color to the solution and stir it in all the way. (You can always add more of the dark color later to darken it, but once you mix the dark in you cannot go lighter.

4: If the solution is too light, continue to mix in small amounts of the darker color until the solution is the desired color.