• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Championship..

Just meant players mtg, tee times, what course players start at, etc. I got the OK from the wife, now need to find a buddy to drive up with.

Im assuming we will be playing from the pro tees at all three courses.

no worries. I just like to plan ahead. Hopefully all am players will play at the same course and not be playing w/ adv at kamloops and int. or rec at logan lake. Not sure logistically how that would work coming up in one car, lol. nice to see a few big names making there way up. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Sweet! I just registered. I'm really looking forward to this. Maybe this time I can conquer the Black Rose (it usually conquers me). :p

^Are the kamloops courses tight off the tee and then fairly wide open till the pin? Technical at times with lots of distance? Is there much elevation? Just trying to think of courses down south that are similar. I know the third course is pretty technical. Pictures made it seem like there are a lot of anny shots off the tee at the three courses.

the Kamloops ones are not super technical in terms of carving lines for a lot of a fairway IMO
they do require some line shaping and gap hitting

but you can get into trouble

Logan Lake is technical

is there any drastic elevation changes? Also, heard it can be pretty windy,is it bad in june?

JR,

From a Puget Sound perspective:

Logan Lake was my favorite - felt most at home. One or two steep grade shots, (one or two up the fall line, and one down the fall line to finish) But most felt really comfortable for a Sound region player. Not too long of shots, some force distinct shapes, but nothing crazy. I scored pretty well there. A few holes at logan require some downgrade flight "shaping" like you might see on say a Leavenworth course. Bear grass, paintbrush - great smelling mountain essence.

The Houck designed course at Rose hill was fantastic for long stretched out golf. (stretched out is not my strong point). In 2011 it was relatively wind free, so the experience was more pure to design. Not line constricted hardly at all, with length, elevation changes the primary defense. It plays along the rising terraces of the valley, which rises all the way from the river valley below, so cool views, but as you would imagine, it comes with the high likelihood of thermals and wind. The rough is scrubby skirtings around pines so not bad at all for wayward outcomes. The long downhill throws on this course should be memorable for the trip.

The other Rose hill course was more like an expected par 54 course with nested hyzer or turnover holes, many reachable, some not. Wind would likely be the big variable.

I think with either of the Rose hill courses, if the winds 'a blowin'... you could survive or get killed based on your wind play skills.

Kamloops

Born in Kamloops , the course used to be a forest when I was in hi school .
Its above the city and it could quite possibly be windy . No , I bet it will be windy!

You may want to pray for rain as Kamloops is a desert , it will be into the mid thirty and maybe pushing forty celcius . There is NO shade , thats prolly why the dress code is brought up in the registration . You will want a stocked cooler , it's a short drive down for supplies In the valley .

Minor elevation up and downs in the back nine , front nine flat .

You will see what Pine Beetles have done to the pine trees on ALL of British Columbia .

Black Rose may drive you insane as it weaves around , over , through sagebrush gullies .

The Logan lake course will be refreshing after Kamloops .

Guess I should sign up , thinking of playing my age (grandmaster ) instead of getting beat by kids half my age !

Maybe I should try to post my road trip pics from last summer on these courses!

Thank you all for the info, its much appreciated! As of now, I plan to make the trip up from Seattle with two other guys and am quite excited! My last question... I am playing adv and my other two buddies have little to no experience playing tournaments so i will have to figure out where to put them. my dilema is that we have one car and worry that they will be playing logan while I am playing kamloops. Will int/rec play the same courses as adv? Even if it is the other kamloops course that would be fine, just worried we will have to figure out how one group will make it to logan lake while the others are at kamloops or does everyone play the kamloops first and then logan sunday? Does that make sense? I guess i could get dropped off and then the other two could drive to logan lake or vice versa. Hopefully we will get the host hotel info soon as well. Thanks again to all who have helped as the furthest i have made it in the great white north is whistler so i have little knowledge of anything north but have heard amazing things.

Last edited:
LOL. I know, what's with you canadians being so nice and polite.

That makes me feel better regarding transportation. I am looking forward to meeting a lot of you from these forums. Sounds like good times ahead.

I did sign up btw.

IIRC, in the past open/advanced started on the Logan Lake course while intermediate/novice started at Rose Hill West. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will be like that this year, but there's a good chance of it.

Also, the wind can be really bad at that time of year up there. Some of the windiest rounds I've ever played were in Kamloops.

once signed up, how long did it take to get confirmation so you could then pay? I am worried I entered my email wrong unless it takes a while to process.

well I reregistered to see if it would be instant this time. thanks for the help.

The pictures on DGCR for Rose Hill West are old and a lot/most of the trees were killed off by pine beetle, have fallen, and are no longer there. I will snap a few replacement pictures in the spring, but this course is far less technical than the current photos suggest. In ideal conditions anyone that can drive 350 has a shot of 11-12 under, although club rounds usually produce 3-6 maybe 7 under, and 11-12 is very rarely acheived (estimate of maybe 5-6 times ever), but this is where you will get your birdies in the tourney as Rose Hill East (Black Rose) plays really long and it does require stamina and focus to keep mentally and physically sharp through the whole 18 holes (especially if this is your second round of the day).

^ Right on. I am now officially signed up and paid for. My two buddies should hopefully be signing up soon as well. Are any of you playing ADV? Just wondering if I will get to play a round with any of you?

Nice. Look forward to meeting/playing with you. The only two fellows I know from BC are Hector Diakow and Eric Vashon (im sure I mispelled both last names) so it will be nice to put a few more names with faces.