• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Coast Disc Golf - CCDG vids

It's 4k capable so I can do the upgrade once Youtube allows 4k at 60 fps. It also has built in ND filters, a 1 inch sensor (better low light), and higher bitrate 1080/60p video. It's got hdmi and sdi out if we ever decide to mess around with live. XLR inputs for the new mic too.
Nice upgrade but be careful about getting too excited about 4k@60. I'd wager 90% of your audience doesn't have a computer that can play back H.264 4k at 60fps.

So it might just be a bunch of extra file size for no real gain (although recording in 4k now is great for future-proofing your stuff).

Loving the vids as usual. Keep it up!

I'm lucky if I get ANY drone footage.

There are a million things that could be improved in our vids, but most of them involve money, and I'm pretty over losing money to make dg vids.

I gotta say, I'm still mixed on the drone footage. From the first time I watched a CCDG video, what caught me was Ian or Stu or Derrick (or someone else) describing the holes. To me, that verbal description from someone who has played the hole is more beneficial than any drone footage. Add to that all the awesome stories from the guys that walked with the card, and THAT's what made me feel like I played Milo, or like I was walking along with the card.

Sure, there are all kinds of fancy things that can happen to improve disc golf vids, but the real winning ticket is the commentary by guys who are just as into disc golf as I am, and maybe at a similarly "mortal" skill level. Ian, I'd love to play a round with any of you guys some time!

I wonder if drones might be better utilized by just giving 'overall aerial' shots (with graphics in post showing the 'lines') of the hole as opposed to the 'flying the line the disc will fly' method that some of the drone pilots seem to be going with.

"flying the line" works so much better in golf because of how the fairways are carved out. in disc golf that gets a bit more cluttered and can get disorientating.

I think the aerial shots for open holes is awesome. The disc path isn't too shabby either. I'll take whatever y'all give, but will say for a better overall view of the hole, minus a canopy, aerial shots are great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I wonder if drones might be better utilized by just giving 'overall aerial' shots (with graphics in post showing the 'lines') of the hole as opposed to the 'flying the line the disc will fly' method that some of the drone pilots seem to be going with.

"flying the line" works so much better in golf because of how the fairways are carved out. in disc golf that gets a bit more cluttered and can get disorientating.
This. Jomez' Nick Hyde is a good example. On an 800 foot hole through the trees I'm carsick by the time he flies to to the basket and I don't really know how I'd throw the drive.

Was watching some "course sounds" videos last night. Dare I say disc golf videos are almost boring without commentary? Keep up the good work guys.

Nice upgrade but be careful about getting too excited about 4k@60. I'd wager 90% of your audience doesn't have a computer that can play back H.264 4k at 60fps.

So it might just be a bunch of extra file size for no real gain (although recording in 4k now is great for future-proofing your stuff).

Loving the vids as usual. Keep it up!

Totally agree with this, and i'd honestly bet it's closer to 99.9% don't have 4k screens/capable computers. I bet half the people watch on phones lol.

I figured it's a nice upgrade, and some future proofing at the same time. I've really like it so far. Funny enough the built in ND filters are my favorite feature so far.

Thanks so much! CCDG is definitely doing that! Filming 3 tourneys this weekend! Can't believe it :)

I gotta say, I'm still mixed on the drone footage. From the first time I watched a CCDG video, what caught me was Ian or Stu or Derrick (or someone else) describing the holes. To me, that verbal description from someone who has played the hole is more beneficial than any drone footage. Add to that all the awesome stories from the guys that walked with the card, and THAT's what made me feel like I played Milo, or like I was walking along with the card.

Sure, there are all kinds of fancy things that can happen to improve disc golf vids, but the real winning ticket is the commentary by guys who are just as into disc golf as I am, and maybe at a similarly "mortal" skill level. Ian, I'd love to play a round with any of you guys some time!

That's really interesting to hear. I thought the drone stuff was a total win, but I can see some of those points. I think the drone footage has made my verbal descriptions lazy lately. I'll try to bring it back up par :)

Love playing with anyone that watches the vids :) If you're ever in San Diego, hit me and I'll do my best to join you. :thmbup: I'll be at GBO this weekend. If you happen to be as well, say hi!

That's not a bad idea, but I think would fall short on more wooded holes (where the canopy is total cover). I thought the drone pilot we had at Milo was unreal good. I absolutely loved how the flew the lines. It really helped having Kyle there to show him the line to take. He also flew fast enough that I didn't have to speed it up in post. Speeding it up makes it shakey/less smooth. I couldn't have been more happy with that footage.

for reference.

I think the aerial shots for open holes is awesome. The disc path isn't too shabby either. I'll take whatever y'all give, but will say for a better overall view of the hole, minus a canopy, aerial shots are great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fair enough! That said I think the Milo footage is my perfect footage, and better than an aerial overview. You can actually see the gaps this way. Just look at hole 3 west in that video. No way an aerial gives the same perspective.

This. Jomez' Nick Hyde is a good example. On an 800 foot hole through the trees I'm carsick by the time he flies to to the basket and I don't really know how I'd throw the drive.

Jomez is still learning how to fly that thing, it definitely takes some practice. That said I still think it was better to have them then not. A couple of those holes were especially tough. No real fairway/line to fly, and tons of trees.

Was watching some "course sounds" videos last night. Dare I say disc golf videos are almost boring without commentary? Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks!

I'm with you. As much as I love watching DG vids, if there isn't commentary I'm asleep or ADDing to something else by hole 3.

Keep up the good work! Favorite channel by far. Personally, I like the drones. The drone footage seems to get really lossy though. I don't know if this is a wide spread phenomena... Anybody else notice this using integrated graphics?

Keep up the good work! Favorite channel by far. Personally, I like the drones. The drone footage seems to get really lossy though. I don't know if this is a wide spread phenomena... Anybody else notice this using integrated graphics?
If you are viewing on the highest resolution its probably just Youtubes built in compression. You can deliver them a super high bitrate file.... and they will still compress the **** out of it to save space on their servers and in delivery. Youtubes defaults are slightly behind the bitrate requirements for non-artifacted HD action footage like this (and gaming footage especially) but they are more focused on reliable delivery and not OMG-SUPER-HD-120FPS-4K-MLG-420NOSCOPE-ACTION

Drone footage requires a particularly high bitrate due to all of the moving action in each and every frame of the shot. Especially if it is sped up.

Thems the breaks of Youtube.

Last edited:

Thanks so much! :hfive:

Yeah, what Anon said about the lossy footage is totally accurate. It's annoying, but Youtube is king so it is what it is :(

If you are viewing on the highest resolution its probably just Youtubes built in compression. You can deliver them a super high bitrate file.... and they will still compress the **** out of it to save space on their servers and in delivery. Youtubes defaults are slightly behind the bitrate requirements for non-artifacted HD action footage like this (and gaming footage especially) but they are more focused on reliable delivery and not OMG-SUPER-HD-120FPS-4K-MLG-420NOSCOPE-ACTION

Drone footage requires a particularly high bitrate due to all of the moving action in each and every frame of the shot. Especially if it is sped up.

Thems the breaks of Youtube.

exactly this.

Little sneak peek for you guys. Coyote Classic. No big names except the homie Peter McBride.

The Milo Flying is just incredible. But I think its more difficult for the viewers when it is a longer hole (Par 4 or 5) where even the best players have to play 3 shots to get to the hole, because the drone flies nonstop to the hole. I think the very best would be Drone Footage like Milo and a small graphic of the Hole-Design for an overview. And on top of that the great commentary of you CCDG guys.

I even wait one week just to have commentary for some Tourney-Stuff. And keep in mind that even people like me from germany are watching all your stuff. :) Keep it going. I would even pay for this.

Another thought for the really long holes.

Maybe use graphics to show the ideal 'landing areas' for each shot as the drone progresses down the fairway. Might be a bit easier to follow if you take it a chunk at a time.

Little sneak peek for you guys. Coyote Classic. No big names except the homie Peter McBride.

Hey now, I always figured more people know Shasta than Peter. At least outside of Cali :)

Mike Sale is a cool dude too and a DGCR member (he's the kid that broke the record for most holes played in 24 hours).

Maybe use graphics to show the ideal 'landing areas' for each shot as the drone progresses down the fairway. Might be a bit easier to follow if you take it a chunk at a time.

I kinda like that idea too. I noticed in the Texas State and Nick Hyde footage that the drone videos made the long tunnel shots seem even longer than they are. I'm not really a graphics guy, and I'm glad it's not me making the vids, but there's potential.

Hey Ian, are the Coyote Classic videos hitting the CCDG listing on YT anytime soon? Or would they already pop up if one were to register/log in to YT? Don't post comments to YT videos, so haven't had any need to make an account there.

Also, anything in the works for the next r/discgolf podcast?

The Milo Flying is just incredible. But I think its more difficult for the viewers when it is a longer hole (Par 4 or 5) where even the best players have to play 3 shots to get to the hole, because the drone flies nonstop to the hole. I think the very best would be Drone Footage like Milo and a small graphic of the Hole-Design for an overview. And on top of that the great commentary of you CCDG guys.

I even wait one week just to have commentary for some Tourney-Stuff. And keep in mind that even people like me from germany are watching all your stuff. :) Keep it going. I would even pay for this.

Agree on the longer holes point. I'll see about adding landing area graphics like Anon suggested. I like the idea of having the hole map up too.

Thanks so much! If you're feeling generous we have a Patreon account, and everything helps! You can donate as little as a buck a vid, and put a monthly cap of whatever you want.

Another thought for the really long holes.

I'll try to do this, if I have time! :hfive:

Hey now, I always figured more people know Shasta than Peter. At least outside of Cali :)

Mike Sale is a cool dude too and a DGCR member (he's the kid that broke the record for most holes played in 24 hours).

Dude that is my total bad on forgetting Shasta! You're too right.

Hey Ian, are the Coyote Classic videos hitting the CCDG listing on YT anytime soon? Or would they already pop up if one were to register/log in to YT? Don't post comments to YT videos, so haven't had any need to make an account there.

Also, anything in the works for the next r/discgolf podcast?

Nah it has nothing to do with being logged in. I put them up unlisted but someone posted them on Facebook, so I had to make the private for reasons. I've been trying to do commentary with Lewis Bitney, but it's been tough to get our schedules alinged. I'm hoping we can do it while we're both at Masters Cup.

My 0.02 for the production queue

haha Word. I think it's number 2 on Ben's editing list after the Vintage Cup. So Stoked to see that stuff.

In other CCDG news Ben filmed the Utah Open this weekend, and new CCDG memeber Matt Mangini filmed a tourney at Sward's Ranch in Montana. Both courses looked sick, and way different.

This weekend we'll be at Masters Cup! Can't wait. We'll have next day videos, and maybe even some kind of same day video for you guys. (Don't wanna ruin the surprise too much). Then Monday we're filming Champ vs Chumps the rematch, and Starter pack challenge if there's time after that. Should be fun! Paul is flying Hannah (his gf) out to be his doubles partner. :thmbup:

In other CCDG news Ben filmed the Utah Open this weekend, and new CCDG memeber Matt Mangini filmed a tourney at Sward's Ranch in Montana. Both courses looked sick, and way different.

Here's a pic of what's to come from the Swards Ranch tourney, absolutely amazing country!

Hole 5 "Grumpy Old Man" from the tee box. Yellow band is just visible about halfway up the left side of the large rock face, just into the right edge of the trees.

Big thanks to CCDG for continuing to show love to MT disc golf!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 54
Big thanks to CCDG for continuing to show love to MT disc golf!

I'll second that! I'm super excited to see the Sward's footage. The course is very scenic and there are some monster throws out there; I'm sure the guys on the top card were just bombing it all day.

I have a CCDG complaint. Every time one of you guys posts and brings this thread to the top 10 list, and there isn't a new CCDG vid, I get depressed. Sigh....

Latest posts