• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion plastic more stable?

Jeb3

Hey guys I was searching through about 10 pages of threads and I couldn't seem to find one talking about champion plastic discs stability in general. I have been trying out my drivers in a couple different plastics lately (Teebird, Valk, Leopard, Sidewinder, etc..) No higher than 9 really still working on my arm speed. I have tried DX,Pro,Star,Champ for almost each of these discs and almost always my champion plastic disc is more overstable. Is this a known fact that I've missed? Or maybe they need just a little more speed then the other plastic because they don't seem to glide as much either. Does anyone else feel the same?

you are correct. innova uses the same mold for various plastic types and they all come out flying differently.

simple rule of physics
the harder plastic flies faster but glides less
this goes for all manufacturers
So your disc will fly faster into the earth

Yes champion is more stable than star or gstar. Take the Tern for example ..the 3 discs even have 3 slightly different flight numbers printed on them. Most molds aren't marked differently like that but its true for all innovative discs that I've tried. I carry a flat champion teebird, a star teebird, and a gstar teebird and select which one to throw based off wind direction.

Champion is usually the most Overstable unless the PLH is lower on the run.

That can cause a fairly overstable disc to fly a little less so.

For the most part your surmise is exactly correct. If you had To rate the plastics by our of the box stability I'd put them like this;

Champion
Star
E*
DX
G*
Pro
R-pro

To my knowledge, it has not been that long since Innova finally started changing the flight numbers for some of the champ plastic. I think they should have been doing this for years in my opinion and it is true for almost all if not all of the molds. If you look at their flight chart, some of the molds will show more stable numbers in red for the champ plastic. I was once where you are and I found it frustrating but have learned to live with it and use more champ plastic now due to the durability.

I found this thread in a search trying to find out why by champion t-bird like an over stable 12 speed disc for me. Is Innova's Champion plastic still over stable or have they changed this in the last few years?

As others above have said, Champion plastic is usually more stable. However, there are exceptions. I find my Star Thunderbird more overstable than my Champion Thunderbird, and the PLH is not different. I also have a Factory Second Star Mamba that is more overstable than my Champion Mambas, though the Star Mamba might be an aberration.

As to flight guide numbers... yes, Innova finally started making changes. The Boss and the Tern are two discs where the turn number was reduced on Champion plastic discs, and there may be others but I can't think of them right now...

Some champion Teebirds mold up super overstable for whatever reason. My old champion was like this, it was a hog that wanted to go left early. My current champion is a bit more like a normal Teebird tho, there's a slight turn at full power and a moderate fade at the low end. So it's not the plastic itself that makes the discs more overstable, but it probably has more to do with how a certain run cools down (fast cooling discs have a tendency of having their leading edge pulled up making the disc more OS)

Thanks guys. I bought a Champion Teebird from Dicks and have hated the disc from day one. However everyone here loves them so I might have to try another in a different plastic.

Thanks guys. I bought a Champion Teebird from Dicks and have hated the disc from day one. However everyone here loves them so I might have to try another in a different plastic.

This may end up hijacking the thread, but what about your Teebird do you not like? Is it just the plastic, and you like the flight otherwise? Or think you'll like the flight in a different plastic?

I currently have 3 champ Teebirds, all with normal dome. Stability is perfect, just as advertised.

I experienced the same during my first year playing. Keep that disc around. How far are you throwing now? While your form improves and the disc wears in I promise it will develop into a great flier for you :eek:

This may end up hijacking the thread, but what about your Teebird do you not like? Is it just the plastic, and you like the flight otherwise? Or think you'll like the flight in a different plastic?

I can get a beautiful "S" out of my leo 3. When I throw the teebird it starts off turning right and keeps turning right (LHBH) just like a Boss or Wraith does but with even more turn. I believe I have a 7-8 power arm, no more, thats why I was hoping the teebird would work for me.

I can get a beautiful "S" out of my leo 3. When I throw the teebird it starts off turning right and keeps turning right (LHBH) just like a Boss or Wraith does but with even more turn. I believe I have a 7-8 power arm, no more, thats why I was hoping the teebird would work for me.

Sounds like both your Leo3 and Teebird are doing what they were made to do. Except for a DX Teebird, you may still have more fade than you want in any Teebird plastic, especially until it's beaten in some.

Based on what I've been reading and your answer to my question, you might look for something a bit less overstable than a fresh-out-of-the-box, premium-plastic Teebird. The Discmania FD (S- or C-Line), the Champion or Star TL (especially in max weights), maybe the Prodigy F3, might be good alternatives for you.

Edited to add: and yes, hang on to your Teebird(s) and revisit it/them in the future...

Last edited:

Latest posts