• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ching strategy. crazy new basket.

I imagine this basket isn't meant for serious disc golfers. I would bet it's more for PE programs and/or people who want to play casual "Frisbee" golf with lids.

Jim Palmeri (Disc Golf Hall of Famer), introduced a basket of somewhat similar ilk a few years ago. I believe it was not widely accepted. Actually I have heard nothing of it since.

Which does not mean that there is not SUBSTANTIAL room for improvement over what passes for baskets at the moment. Current baskets are arbitrary and fail to reliably catch solid putts to the center of the chains. Well, no reason to understate the problem: our current baskets suck.

So I have never tested the Ching design. It does not appear all that promising but really, how much worse are they than what we have at the moment? Who knows, maybe they are better.

Mark Ellis said:
Jim Palmeri (Disc Golf Hall of Famer), introduced a basket of somewhat similar ilk a few years ago. I believe it was not widely accepted. Actually I have heard nothing of it since.

Which does not mean that there is not SUBSTANTIAL room for improvement over what passes for baskets at the moment. Current baskets are arbitrary and fail to reliably catch solid putts to the center of the chains. Well, no reason to understate the problem: our current baskets suck.

So I have never tested the Ching design. It does not appear all that promising but really, how much worse are they than what we have at the moment? Who knows, maybe they are better.
Mark, I admire your optimism.(or lack of in some spots) I really don't believe however, that these baskets are going to be better. Just judging by the design they will be far worse. We should improve our current baskets before jumping into a new realm also.

I dislike the design. Imo, it makes it look more like basketball than disc golf.

riverboy said:
We should improve our current baskets before jumping into a new realm also.

Just a thought, but has anyone ever thought about using nylon rope as a secondary measure for stopping a disc? My idea is to use nylon rope right behind the first set of chains and continue to alternate chains and rope.

The reason why I think rope may be a good substitute is that it may create more friction between it and the disc. The initial set of chains absorb the force and the nylon rope may possibly slow the disc to a stop.

What do you all think?

sunspot said:
I dislike the design. Imo, it makes it look more like basketball than disc golf.

riverboy said:

Just a thought, but has anyone ever thought about using nylon rope as a secondary measure for stopping a disc? My idea is to use nylon rope right behind the first set of chains and continue to alternate chains and rope.

The reason why I think rope may be a good substitute is that it may create more friction between it and the disc. The initial set of chains absorb the force and the nylon rope may possibly slow the disc to a stop.

What do you all think?

give it a shot

With the current standard, you can make a putt from all sides of the basket without changing your putting style. You can't say the same thing for this netted thing.

Mark Ellis said:

But in that line of thinking the PDGA needs to be coming up with a real set of standards for what a basket should be and using them as a tool to improve basket design, not approving pretty much any basket that a company sends to them.

Pat said:
sunspot said:

riverboy said:

What do you all think?

give it a shot

maybe make the inside chains out of rubber

That Ching is truly a turd.

The basket argument is really old and annoying. If everyone plays on the same baskets (on a particular course or in a particular tournament) and spit outs are random and arbitrary, then they will affect each player the same. If it is not arbitrary, then there is another factor – speed, angle, spin etc. If those come into play, then it's the person putting and not the basket that is the problem and the person putting should adjust to the particular basket being played. I played ball golf for 25 years, and never blamed a missed putt on the hole, but accepted that every putt that "should" have gone in and didn't wasn't the hole's fault.

my point being, that I'm fine with the current baskets.

Jerry R said:
Frank Delicious said:
Improvement is for losers.

Define improvement....

Define "is"...

2rxchon.jpg

Jerry R said:
That Ching is truly a turd.

The basket argument is really old and annoying. If everyone plays on the same baskets (on a particular course or in a particular tournament) and spit outs are random and arbitrary, then they will affect each player the same. If it is not arbitrary, then there is another factor – speed, angle, spin etc. If those come into play, then it's the person putting and not the basket that is the problem and the person putting should adjust to the particular basket being played. I played ball golf for 25 years, and never blamed a missed putt on the hole, but accepted that every putt that "should" have gone in and didn't wasn't the hole's fault.

my point being, that I'm fine with the current baskets.
It would seem you need a lesson in probability. If it is random and arbitrary, then it could affect only one player. Unlikely, but possible.

riverboy said:
Jerry R said:
If everyone plays on the same baskets (on a particular course or in a particular tournament) and spit outs are random and arbitrary, then they will affect each player the same.
It would seem you need a lesson in probability. If it is random and arbitrary, then it could affect only one player. Unlikely, but possible.

It has been a loooonnnng time since my last stats class. Just sayin' that if there is a fundamental problem with baskets, it will affect everyone playing them the same.