• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chumpsac

Thunderchumpy

Alright, so I'm a noob, playing about a year, and I throw rhbh 99%. My fh/sidearm shot is shit. Here are the contents of my bag. Please feel free to comment/suggest.

z-XS 174g- This is my main driver. An XS is what I was given when I started playing, and I am now comfortable with this disc. I can throw this disc 325-340'.

x-XS 176g- An understable complement to the above. I can throw this disc a little further, but it seems to flip(?) and go right on me alot.

Ti-Stalker 174g- This is a new shorter straight driver for me. This disc is money for me 250-300'. It has pretty much replaced my 175g z-xpress, which I still carry and like.

ESP-Buzz 176g - My main approach disc. I have no idea how far I can throw it because I haven't really tried, but it fades a bit for me if I try to stretch my distance with it. It replaced a Ching Legacy someone gave me.

I putt with a Rhyno. I carry two, one in Champ and one in Dx plastic. Both 175g.

In the bottom of the bag are assorted cigarette butts, bottle caps and tears.

Coming In the mail are:

Gold Line Striker 175g- This forum seems to think this disc came from the Lord Jesus Christ himself, so I hope it flys for me.

Blizzard Wraith 150g 150g- Why you ask? It's pretty obvious I don't have the skills to throw a disc that fast. I know. I'm an idiot and I get exited by shiny things.

I have recently lost a Discraft Spectra, which I was never able to throw the same twice (seriously, WTF? 400' once, 275' and hard left or right the next 5 throws).

I used to throw an Avenger ss for all my tee shots, but now when I try to throw it it just turns over right and flies away.

Alright. That's my sad Crunch-sack. Thoughts?

Welcome. Coongratulations you throw the Spectra and the ASS (Avenger SS) well! That is how they are it is not you it is them (buggers). I'm not so sure that you should use anything else for a while after you get the new discs. At that weight the Bliz Wraith should work at least for straight then hard left finishing shots and s-curves. Both are valuable flight lines to have so a disc that can do those is definitely baggable. Your bag looks good for a new player. Don'tgo crazy buying all discs in the market. You should learn what you have well first to get an idea if they suit you and if not in which direction in flight components the new disc should be adjusted. Asking about which disc is like the one you have but with added or diminished speed, turn, glide, fade should give you good advice so that you could save money searching for the best fit for a role a disc needs to fill.

Thanks, JR. I am hoping the Bliz Wraith can be a good overstable disc for me. After they get here, Iwill continue to focus on technique (getting more snap off the tee, and not thinking every approach shot is a big hyzer), and not think a new disc will improve my game. I see you guys play with a lot of base plastic. Up here in Nor-Cal we have a lot of trees and rocks, so I have always been told not to bother with base plastic, because it's going to be taco-ed before it even beats in. Should I continue to buy premium plastic? Are the flight characteristics really that much different between plastics?

Howdy & welcome!

The xs is a neat disc and underrated nowadays. It can be a lot of fun. If you are only using the stalker around 275 I would say it is just overlap with the buzzz.

As for the striker, well it used to be the cat's meow. Now they are a crapshoot. At least lately. The Lord's control driver right now is the PD. it is similar to the good striker. I still like the striker. At your current power level it should serve you well.

Blizzard discs are nice but you have to be smooth when you throw them. Don't try to muscle them.

The spectra is crap. The ass is a natural roller (read flippy).

Happy hukking and always work on your form.

Some Blizzards need to be babied and Destros take all you can give them without flinching. I've thrown a 155 Boss into moderate headwinds with only around 5 degrees of compensatory hyzer to flip to flat. Light Katanas may flip in your bag if look at the wrong. Base plastics in putters and mids may work. All drivers should be in primo materials when thrown to rocks.

the xs is my favorite control driver i have been playing for 9 years now and still throw the xs several times a round. the striker if it is a good one will compliment the xs's really well. bring the ass back for learning roller very valuable shot.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Just as an update, I guess I got one of the "good" strikers, because this disc is working out really nice for me. Not quite as overstable as I thought it would be, but not flippy either.

I can get about 40-50' extra when I throw the Bliz Wraith, but it's not very consistent. Or at least I'm not very consistent throwing it. Man, does it fly without a lot of effort though.

Blizzards get made up to 159 so there is plenty of extra weight to be had with a Bliz Wraith. So more stability and reliability at the cost of distance. You have enough power to get at least straight then hard left and s-curves with even longer Blizzard discs. The obvious choice would be Boss in the same weight or even 5 grams less depending on the normal wind speeds around you. That means very golfable lines in different winds. Katana at higher weights would be less beefy than the Boss but on par with the Wraith 150 only going farther and not handling the wind so well.