• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stop asking if you are outside the circle!

Good to know about the cheap rangefinder vs the more expensive one. I figure an objective reading from said is likely more palatable to the card than me subjectively guessing. Help them make the best decision.

Yesterday, I was at a course that has a practice basket with markers at different distances. Maybe starting at 20 ft and going out to 33 ft. All of that looked a whole lot shorter than what I would have thought it was!! Indeed, I would have thought 33 feet was 20.

For a truth, I will not be winning any "name that measurement" trophies!!😅 Definitely not.
One of my buddies and I wind up betting on distances a lot (we will bet on pretty much anything)- I am definitely better at eyeballing them than he is. :)

I feel like I must reiterate this point. A modern rangefinder (unless you have a military grade device) cannot establish if you are in the circle at any questionable distance circles edge due to the plus / minus reading tolerance of 3 feet on (probably the best) of commercial devices.

Know the limitations of your tools and apply them appropriately.

If questioning between 25' and 40' might be a good tool to maybe help to gain depth perception?

(BTW I have a Bushnell and enjoy playing around with it, mostly to verify when tee sign distances seem out of wack with my visual estimations).

I feel like I must reiterate this point. A modern rangefinder (unless you have a military grade device) cannot establish if you are in the circle at any questionable distance circles edge due to the plus / minus reading tolerance of 3 feet on (probably the best) of commercial devices.

If questioning between 25' and 40' might be a good tool to maybe help to gain depth perception?

(BTW I have a Bushnell and enjoy playing around with it, mostly to verify when tee sign distances seem out of wack with my visual estimations).
Agreed. I use my rangefinders all the time when I am working on designs but I don't even carry one around when playing.

Eliminate 10m circle and allow players to jump or step putt if they first mark their lie back one meter. No runup allowed, just allow one step prior to the jump or step putt. No need to worry whether they released the disc precisely before they landed. The only stance violation would be when the group observed the player did not mark back a meter before executing a jump or step putt.

This proposed rule change eliminates: (a) the need for a timing call, (b) the player getting an advantage releasing the disc in front of their original lie, (c) a running long jump putt, (d) the time and expense for marking a 10m circle around each target, and (e) the current discrimination of the arbitrary 10m circle that prevents lower powered players and kids who need to jump closer than 10m to generate enough putting power, especially uphill, for accurate putting like the big boys.

Last edited:

If the rangefinder is no good at C2 and inward, would you please elaborate on your comment about using it for depth perception? If ultimately, I'm not going to be able to come to a number, then I guess I better carry some twine with a loop.

I didn't mean to be rude, just reacting to your comment about being confused about 20' vs 33'.

Actually I've seen the string stretched out from the basket pole and think that is the most fool proof method to establish the circle.