• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I love me some XLs though none of them flew comet like compared to those domey esp cyclones.

Generally though I found XLs to have slight turn and fade where comets and some cyclones were just neutral.

The success of the discmania FD always made me chuckle cause the same people probably wouldn't have given the XL the time of day. Old pearly XLs are one of the closest things I have thrown to a 2nd run FD and most XLs are so similar to other runs of FD.

When I got my wife into disc golfing with me and let her pick some discs to try she goes through all my stuff and picked out an esp cyclone and a flx xl lol. She's got expensive taste. That cyclone is money though I'm surprised they haven't done a 25 dollar ledgestone version yet.

I love me some XLs though none of them flew comet like compared to those domey esp cyclones.

Generally though I found XLs to have slight turn and fade where comets and some cyclones were just neutral.

The success of the discmania FD always made me chuckle cause the same people probably wouldn't have given the XL the time of day. Old pearly XLs are one of the closest things I have thrown to a 2nd run FD and most XLs are so similar to other runs of FD.

The XL was every bit as good as the FD but wasn't thrown by a Crush Bro or whatever. Kind of same thing as the Avenger. All the fanboys are gushing over the Anax...but it's just an Avenger.

The XL was every bit as good as the FD but wasn't thrown by a Crush Bro or whatever. Kind of same thing as the Avenger. All the fanboys are gushing over the Anax...but it's just an Avenger.

I love my anax, but I also bagged the hell out of Avengers when they were new. Not sure whether they tweaked anything but Pred-Tsunami-Avenger-Anax sure share some mold pieces or something. (I know the relation between pred/tsunami, the others have never been so public)

When I got my wife into disc golfing with me and let her pick some discs to try she goes through all my stuff and picked out an esp cyclone and a flx xl lol. She's got expensive taste. That cyclone is money though I'm surprised they haven't done a 25 dollar ledgestone version yet.

I still want to see a Passion and Cyclone side by side. I am still convinced the Passion is just a slight retool on the Cyclone to make it flippier, or maybe not even a retool.

I still want to see a Passion and Cyclone side by side. I am still convinced the Passion is just a slight retool on the Cyclone to make it flippier, or maybe not even a retool.

Same. I have the cyclone but nobody around me throws a passion and I don't feel like buying one. If someone has a passion and wants to compare I'll post the cyclone side profile next to a referenced height gauge so we can flip the image over itself and see what the profile change is.

Yup, I have yet to hold a passion in my own hands. It's probably been on the shelf when I was at a store, but it wasn't on my mind when I was there. I have asked about it elsewhere and never got pictures side by side but I think someone said the passion is a little lower profile overall?

Yup, I have yet to hold a passion in my own hands. It's probably been on the shelf when I was at a store, but it wasn't on my mind when I was there. I have asked about it elsewhere and never got pictures side by side but I think someone said the passion is a little lower profile overall?

I held one back when it came out and it definitely felt lower profile than the cyclone.

The Passion is a retool of the Cyclone. Notch at the outer rim, and curve to the inner rim. The cyclone was a double notch.

The Avenger wasn't the Anax or Tsunami (which was a prototype for the Predator, that didn't come out overstable enough), but the Anax is a Tsunami. The Avenger was its own disc, trying to be a faster Teebird. It was more overstable than a Teebird, but good enough that they kept it. I miss it so...

Back to Comets - anyone see the Z Swirl MJ ones coming in today's Ledgestone drop? :D

The Passion is a retool of the Cyclone. Notch at the outer rim, and curve to the inner rim. The cyclone was a double notch.

it's also 0.5cm wider, and that's where I feel the most noticeable difference is. more sweeping turn and the fade is definitely floatier than an esp cyclone (iirc) doesn't move off the line a rapidly on a hard/flat release.

Back to Comets - anyone see the Z Swirl MJ ones coming in today's Ledgestone drop? :D

I did not, but now I have to go look.

I'm over the whole "new plastic combo every week" and everything about Heinold but dang that new ledgestone comet stamp is legit

Same, also what did Heinold do?
Heinold has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. By the appearance of some of his online comments, he's a Christian of the "we are going to tell you how you can live your life" variety. There has also been some grumblings from people involved in disc golf clubs in areas where he has served as the TD for a major event; he seemed to tick off a lot of people in Michigan at least. I forget what those issues were, though. In the more current sense, he lead the PDGA toward the ban of women who are transgender from major dg events, so if you have progressive views on that issue he's not going to be your favorite.

I'm sure he's done some good things. He's managed to convince a lot of people that a dumb gimmicky shot around a water tower is an "iconic hole" and he sells a lot of discs with his website that has terrible shipping times. So he's...dang, I was supposed to think of good things. Well, none jump into my head but I'm sure there are some.

Just got this lovely in the mail. Moderate dome. Kind of between old school and new school shoulder shape. Can't wait to toss it!

P0j6fAs.jpg

R0PGLiw.jpg

(yes I know I need to redo my nails. That's on the to-do list before this weekend's tournament! :D)

I love the stamp and am intrigued by semantics. My impression was that meteors are parts of an asteroid in our atmosphere. Trying to read up, that seems to be the case but I cannot find anything talking about an actual comet crossing earths path and entering the atmosphere. A part of a comet or asteroid is a meteoroid which then of course becomes a meteorite upon entry.
Asteroids are rock/mineral while comets are ice/dust but a part of either can become a meteor. I am assuming that technically a whole comet or any other celestial body entering the atmosphere would still be classified as a meteor, but I am not finding a clear answer or example.

LE Comet stamped Meteors $700/each I know what I got:popcorn:

Ha, I did always like the Meteor but I never bonded with or trusted them. Always switched to something else that made me happier/suited my own game better.

Latest posts