• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I can't provide that kind of history unfortunately. It is old though, and I believe TP predates Elite Pro. I know the TP Cyclones are THE Cyclones, but I don't think the Comets have that same reputation.

I'm the same way. I'll buy just about any old DX bar stamp no matter how beat. Still waiting to find a DX Totem TB in the used bin one of these days.

What's TP?

My brother in law has at least one of this old Saturn comets. His would have been from mid to late 90's for sure. Whatever the old 90's discraft plastic was.
He's got a couple MRXs also, one of which was a first run I traded to him. It's chalky to the point where you get residue on your hands holding it.

Tournament Pro plastic. That's what plastic your brother's Comet is.

Koda, found this making sure the name was right

...Tournament Pro which went OOP in 2002ish...Word to the wise: DO NOT throw them in the cold. Old plastic breaks, and Tournament Pro is notorious for splitting in the cold.

Has anyone thrown the Ti Comets yet? It's far too cold here to give mine a solid try.

Yes. They're wonderful. Feel pretty close to the same shape as the Big Z Flaming Meatballs. Seems to have a very minimal amount more of stability it seems. I really like them. Unfortunately, we have snow here now, so the butter comets have been shelved until March.

Bringing this thread back because I added a Z comet to the bag a week ago and it is already taking shots away from my rocs. I added it to the bag because I play at a wooded course as my home course and it is crazy straight. It is great at threading through wooded courses and at about 70% power it is dead straight with no fade. Loving the comet and wishing I had found it earlier. Mine is a max weight Z, how does the x compare?

Bringing this thread back because I added a Z comet to the bag a week ago and it is already taking shots away from my rocs. I added it to the bag because I play at a wooded course as my home course and it is crazy straight. It is great at threading through wooded courses and at about 70% power it is dead straight with no fade. Loving the comet and wishing I had found it earlier. Mine is a max weight Z, how does the x compare?

I always found a new Z to be dead straight with a gentle fade in the end. With that in mind, a new X will find dead straight with absolutely no fade. After 10-20 rounds it will start misbehaving and another 10-20 rounds after that will become a reliable turnover disc. The Z would take many, many more rounds to get to the turnover phase.

For reference- I used Comets for shots in the 270-330 range.

My X Comet is a 170g and has seen a couple seasons of use. Its durability has been great, slowly picking up more turn over time. It's a utility disc for low power and finesse shots. I can put some power into it for high anhyzers or turnover-to-zero-fade. It's definitely understable.

Yup. Feeling the same way here. My max weight Z Comet will not forgive the bad form I have but it will go very straight when powered down with smooth form and that is a good thing. It is understable for sure. Buzz forgives my effed up form so it is taking the open shots from 250 ft in.

Last edited:
Comet love here.

They now have their own special section in the bag as they have been hiding drivers now and then causing disc count panics.

Bagging a semi beat z and a pretty fresh esp.

i've got both an x and big z comet... i just noticed the other day that the big z is a good 1/4" larger in diameter. is this normal? aren't they the same mold? assuming they *are* the same mold, does it have something to do with the curing process of the different plastics? :confused:

They now have their own special section in the bag as they have been hiding drivers now and then causing disc count panics.

Bagging a semi beat z and a pretty fresh esp.

Yeah, I keep my Z Comet to the far right of my Grip. Only place it sits comfortably. Biggest disc I have and as time goes on it becoming one of the most important.

The Big Z meatball comet was a flat, squirrelly disappointment. Got rid of it. The replacement hot pink and rainbow stamped Z Comet is a glorious and seductive stable sweetheart. *drool*

Whenever I can throw again after I heal up that is the first thing I'm throwing. And I might just start bringing it to bed with me. It won't get sweaty when I cuddle it like my fiancé does.

Cannot praise the comet enough. I bag z and esp. Yesterday was my first round of the year at Solitude and threw my esp comet over 1200 feet on hole 18. A 1250 foot downhill bomb!

It's such a versatile disc and I feel it does things no other disc does. This and my firebird are my all time staples.

Picked up a Big Z Comet recently. Love the pearly plastic for its grip. Out of the box, if flew somewhere in between the two regular Z's in my bag: one newer stable one, and another seasoned nicely over the years for a consistent turnover. The Big Z already flipped out of the box. It didn't dump necessarily, but it flew pretty close to my regular Z that has been seasoned for years.

Also, I wiped that stamp immediately because it looked ridiculous

Also, it was Matt (Scooter, who started this thread) who originally turned me on to Comets around 4-5 years ago. Funny how this thread is still kicking years later

Last edited:
^^ It's interesting how different everyone's tactile sensations are. I found the Big Z to be slicker than I liked and regular Z seems mostly fine. *shrug*
I also didn't like how the flatter Big Z turned out of the box. I want stable Comets, at least initially, and manipulate the angles and such myself. So I look for the domey Z and X now.
Just interesting how preferences are different.