• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
DPJ88 said:
I got my hands on a buddy's old comet that he disliked- I threw one throw with it today on uphill anny drive and parked it. impressed me because it held the line without landing on a serious roll, just a nice flat landing. it's not z or esp, but I doubt it is elite X either.

it is very old- the stamp is a purple stamp of 2 planets with a disc flying around it. old font- not a stamp I have seen discraft use as of late. (before my time in the sport for sure)

any idea what plastic this is?

Probably X. I had a few like that.

pretty large diameter disc, isn't it?

good size, indeed. looks to be about the same diameter as my pred.

scoot_er said:

It's more like Tourney/Cyclone plastic than X if it's got that stamp. I've got one of those (which would probably be in my bag if it hadn't been tacoed to hell and back before I got it). It feels like the Tourney plastic in my X-Clone and Cyclones...

scoot_er said:
DPJ88 said:
I got my hands on a buddy's old comet that he disliked- I threw one throw with it today on uphill anny drive and parked it. impressed me because it held the line without landing on a serious roll, just a nice flat landing. it's not z or esp, but I doubt it is elite X either.

it is very old- the stamp is a purple stamp of 2 planets with a disc flying around it. old font- not a stamp I have seen discraft use as of late. (before my time in the sport for sure)

any idea what plastic this is?

Sounds like the older power plastic Comet. Beat in to be understable, but may be the best plastic in the rain outside of Gateway S.

SkaBob said:
scoot_er said:

It's more like Tourney/Cyclone plastic than X if it's got that stamp. I've got one of those (which would probably be in my bag if it hadn't been tacoed to hell and back before I got it). It feels like the Tourney plastic in my X-Clone and Cyclones...
Not more like...IS! What he described was exactly a Tournament Plastic Comet. I used to draw little "Heaven's Gate" logos and write "Got Phenobarbital?" on mine, which used to piss off a guy in my league. He had a problem with my disrespect for the gullible dead, I suppose.

When I came out of my Comet haze and returned to the mother Roc ship, I used to give my old Comets to new guys I'd meet who had crappy disc selection. It looks like I only have one left and it has a '97 KCWO stamp, otherwise I'd post a picture of my tasteless artwork.

Comet haze :lol: :roll: It'd take a pretty special disc to replace the Comet in my bag. No Roc I've ever thrown no matter how beat flies like it!

Comet <3

Tourny Pro (I think), X, Z, ESP
SSCN0832.jpg

I had been carrying the Comet for about 3 years and tried to cut down molds and replaced it with the Ontario Roc about 6mos ago well it's back in the bag to stay and for good. It's bad when you get up to a particular shot and think about the Comet and see the Roc and try and make it do the same thing. The flight of a Comet is just so gracefull I will never let it down again by removing it from the bag.

jeremy said:
I had been carrying the Comet for about 3 years and tried to cut down molds and replaced it with the Ontario Roc about 6mos ago well it's back in the bag to stay and for good. It's bad when you get up to a particular shot and think about the Comet and see the Roc and try and make it do the same thing. The flight of a Comet is just so gracefull I will never let it down again by removing it from the bag.
That's why the Comet was so successful when it was released. The regular production Roc at the time was the Ontario. Lots of folks I knew at that time dropped the Roc for the Comet. I was one of them.

Man, I'm jealous. I had a dozen of those...I must have given 'em all away. All this Comet talk has me sentimental to take some out to throw, but I can only find one.

Oh, I just remembered! I DO have another Comet...a nice tasty 1st Run Glow Comet! :D Now I feel better. Of course, it's unthrown. How much of a putz would I be to throw a 1st Run Glow Comet just for grins and giggles? I don't feel so good any more. :?

do they hold up decently well? it is old. still very domey and does not appear to really be warped- but it has seen some use for sure. held nice anny line like previously mentioned- seemed to level out after the turn, didn't get the full flight because it was an uphill anny-shot, so right when it landed is right where I needed it to land.

It holds up OK, but Tournament AKA Cyclone plastic was a little different...where the standard Competition plastic would scuff and scrape from an impact, a lot of times Cyclone plastic would take a hard tree whack and look like nothing happened. But looks would deceive. The discs were somewhat more durable than base plastic but they would beat flippy while still on the outside appearing to be in really good condition. I've got old Cyclone plastic discs that appear to be a 6 or 7 on the Sleepy scale, but they fly like a 4 or 3. So you really have to go by how it flies...if it looks good but flies like a beat POS, it's a beat POS.

Toward the end the stuff got stickier and had "Cyclone dust," which was a lot of chalky looking resin all over the disc. Even when wet, the stuff had fantastic grip. Right now the closest thing to it is X if you want to replace it.

I hear ya about the looks of tourney plastic. I found an awesome condition Cyclone at PIAS and when I went to throw it, it flipped over faster than (insert your favorite joke here)

Working Stiff said:
Man, I'm jealous. I had a dozen of those...I must have given 'em all away. All this Comet talk has me sentimental to take some out to throw, but I can only find one.

Oh, I just remembered! I DO have another Comet...a nice tasty 1st Run Glow Comet! :D Now I feel better. Of course, it's unthrown. How much of a putz would I be to throw a 1st Run Glow Comet just for grins and giggles? I don't feel so good any more. :?

1. I know people I can pick up those Comets from for $10-15...

2. Uh...so...what do you want for that Glow Comet?

sleepy said:
I'm not saying I'm ditching my Rocs just yet, but the throwing the Comet was a definite eye-opener.
sleepy

DPJ88 said:
I am a Z wasp thrower

I easily find a spot in my bag for both the Roc/Wasp and the Comet. My Wasps get thrown quite a bit every round but the Comet is definitely my goto.

SkaBob said:
1. I know people I can pick up those Comets from for $10-15...

2. Uh...so...what do you want for that Glow Comet?

1. Mark Ellis had an ass load of them as well whan I was at his house for the putting clinic (all were max weight). Thats where I got that one at......I still havent thrown it though

2. I was thinking the same thing :lol: I dont play glow though so let me know how it is when you get it

What other midranges do you guys use to compliment your Comets?
I have several Wasps in different plastics for when I need a hard flare at the end of the flight or in winds more than 10 mph. I am also experimenting with Rocs to see the similarities/differences with the Wasp.

i just got an X Comet.
I currently have a Z Glide.

how do these 2 discs compare.

i havent thrown the comet yet. hoping to get to a field this week.

I compliment my Comets with Buzzzes and a Wasp for varying degrees of windy.

The Glide turns like a Comet, but has much more low-speed stability than a Comet. If you turn a Glide over, it'll fade back. If you turn a Comet over it's staying turned (or if it's brand spanking new at best fading to straight and still carrying to the right)

Latest posts