• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
marmoset said:
What other midranges do you guys use to compliment your Comets?

I use D and an ESP wasp's along with my Comets.

I Use the D when I need to use more power then the comet with handle (and I like D wasps more then any buzzz)

I use the ESP when I need to throw into wind

My Z-Wasps are my go to midranges.

I throw a 170 for very straight lazers with little fade and a 175 for more of a cutback (the 175 transparent yellow is noticably more overstable toward the end of its flight than the 170 pearl pink)

then for hyzer-flips and annies I throw a ESP comet.

my tourney plastic comet took a tree hit and split right in the middle of the dome. old disc, but it was enough to convince me that the Comet was the right disc to complement my Wasps

Does anyone skip the Roc/Wasp/Element X (slightly overstables) and compliment with a Gator/Drone/Pig/Zone (more overstable)? It sounds like most of us are using a slightly overstable...
I have some D and FLX Drones and I can get the same amount of hyzer out of my new heavy Z Wasp through careful manipulation.
I feel like I have everything covered with the Comet/Wasp combo but I wanted to hear others' opinions, too. Particularly those who use Comets and Buzzzes and when they use which.

I've picked up my Comet again and find myself using more than my buzz or wasp because I find it has more glide. I know somebody who throws a buzz for a ton of shots and if he needs more fade, he just puts more hyzer on his buzz.

I'm starting to believe that a disc like the Drone is really only useful for those folks throwing 450'+ and want a midrange that they can throw and won't just flip. I suspect a wasp or buzz might flip if somebody with that kind of power wanted to chuck it. Either that or it would just take all the fade out of it.

I am finding that the Comet needs a good bit of snap but not a lot of arm strength. Real sensitive to form.

black udder said:
I am finding that the Comet needs a good bit of snap but not a lot of arm strength. Real sensitive to form.

QFT

I throw my buzzzes when I need something to fade, or I'm throwing into a wind the Comet won't handle. I only carry a wasp because I was playing a tournament earlier in the summer (the one with the explodey trees) and the buzzz just couldn't hold up to the winds that day (35mph). I figure I'll throw the wasp more in the winter than the summer, but I mostly throw it for the same things I'd throw the buzzz on a hyzer for.

When I find myself really pulling out the buzzz or wasp is when I need a particular line shaped. Either a big hyzer with no skip (wasp) or a long anny that fades back (buzzz). For everything else I throw the Comet. Straight shots, flips, hyzers, annies and turnovers.

marmoset said:
Does anyone skip the Roc/Wasp/Element X (slightly overstables) and compliment with a Gator/Drone/Pig/Zone (more overstable)?

Cale Leiviska throws Z Buzzzes and Drones for midranges. But his go to driver is also the Z Pred.

banzai7 said:
marmoset said:
Does anyone skip the Roc/Wasp/Element X (slightly overstables) and compliment with a Gator/Drone/Pig/Zone (more overstable)?

Cale Leiviska throws Z Buzzzes and Drones for midranges. But his go to driver is also the Z Pred.

What I meant to ask is:
Most of us seem to be using the Comet and Wasp (or slightly overstables). Does anyone use the Comet and Drone (or heavily overstables)?

I tend to use the Comets in the woods for finesse. When I get out of the woods I tend to use my Wasps because they are (1) more wind resistant and (2) can handle the increased snap of the longer throws required on the longer unwooded holes. I am wondering if the Buzzz could be my Comet on unwooded holes.

I don't believe the buzz has as much glide as the comet. It's also not the same disc. Could you use it? Sure, it's not hard to throw. It'll take a little more speed on your throw and it's a good disc. Just dunno if it would be worthwhile adding it along with a comet. I say that having a Z wasp, z buzz, crystal buzz and comet in the bag (oh and a 169 roc). So far, the comet works the best, followed closely by the crystal buzz. The crystal buzz takes a lot of speed and power and just goes straight with a predictable fade.

I only throw 350'ish, so the wasp probably does that for players throwing 400'.

The Buzzz gets used for more shots than the Wasp in most bags my friends throw that also include a Comet. It's straighter and longer than the Wasp, and in the right hands is nearly as far as a Comet. We only break out the Wasps when the wind is kickin'.

SkaBob said:
It's straighter and longer than the Wasp, and in the right hands is nearly as far as a Comet. We only break out the Wasps when the wind is kickin'.

My wasps seem to carry a long way. I bombed one 300 feet on a flat/slightly uphill hole the other day, it was probably one of the biggest rips I have ever had with a midrange, but god it felt great.

no doubt the comet can go forever, I parked my comet on a 382 ft. downhill (pin was nearly 20 feet below tee. so probably played more like a 285ish), skidded to a hault no more than 2 feet from the basket. that was thrown with about 30 degrees of hyzer, it flipped up, turned slightly, and just carried forever.

To me, the Buzzz always seemed squirrely. sometimes mine would fade hard and sometime it would flip or do something stupid. that is why it surprised me that my Comet was so much more consistant- while still being less stable.

Can anyone confirm that about the Z Comets next year? I was thinking about picking up an ESP Comet while they're $12.95 at Prime Discs, but I can wait for Z if they're coming...

adamschneider said:
Can anyone confirm that about the Z Comets next year? I was thinking about picking up an ESP Comet while they're $12.95 at Prime Discs, but I can wait for Z if they're coming...

I emailed Discraft asking them so once I hear back I'll post their reply.

Personaly I hope it is true...Im a comet whore :D

marmoset said:
gremlin75 said:
...Im a comet whore :D

You should see my harem!

Do show :p

Ok here is the response I got back from DC

Discraft e-mail response said:
Hi Gregory,

We may be doing it, it has yet to be decided. Keep tune to our web site for information.

Peace,

Pad

Pad's a comet thrower (and just a great guy as well) so hopefully he'll help push then to decide to do it......Im sure if more comet lovers e-mailed Discraft and asked for them to do the run it wouldn't hurt there decision making process either :mrgreen:

Oh and heres some comet eye candy (i cant seem to find the pic of my eps comet stack though)
SSCN0832.jpg

Those older "powder" comets are sweet. They've got some of the best grip in the rain.

My bin of Comets isn't really impressive... I think I have about 15-20 in total. I have a few Xs, a D, some Zs and a bunch of ESPs. IIRC I don't have as many as you and the ones I have aren't particularly lust-worthy. But I love them just the same...

The ones I want are the blue sparkle Ron Russell, a TP, and some more Ds. If DC releases more Zs then I will definitely get some more of those.

Latest posts