• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Connecticut -> ?official thread?

Yeah there's another thing you probably won't find in Wisconson... liquor stores that close at 9 and aren't even open on Sundays.

my buddy lived in Boseman, Montana.
he says that when the bars close, you can negotiate with the bartender to buy an open bottle of liquor from behind the bar, or you can buy bottles of beer to go. also, basically every bar in town (i think there were 3) had a dancer in the corner dancing on the table. and there is no open container law, you just cant be driving drunk. the truckers love to drink Sparxx because its like a RedBull with 5% alcohol.

PDGA says UConn has a new 9-hole. Anyone played it, or know anything about it?

http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=3101

banzai7 said:
PDGA says UConn has a new 9-hole. Anyone played it, or know anything about it?

http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=3101

Of course they make one the year after I graduate.

I saw something about it this spring, it's all object-golf. Right through the campus, (I don't know if you're familiar with UConn, but) on the fields across from East Campus. Maybe they'll incorporate Mirror Lake into it, that'd be sick. Except you'd never want to get lost discs out of there, and your shoes would get covered in goose shit.

Anyone ever played the St. Paul's course right down the road? Talk about a tough little 9-hole. I played it one day in between classes and felt like I'd played about 36 holes. They have one hole where you have to throw onto the side of a 50 degree-slope cliff. If you miss (you will) or your disc rolls (it will), it falls about 25 feet to the ground right into an impossible-to-escape thicket of evergreens. Ridiculous.

kmanoni said:
my buddy lived in Boseman, Montana.
he says that when the bars close, you can negotiate with the bartender to buy an open bottle of liquor from behind the bar, or you can buy bottles of beer to go. also, basically every bar in town (i think there were 3) had a dancer in the corner dancing on the table. and there is no open container law, you just cant be driving drunk. the truckers love to drink Sparxx because its like a RedBull with 5% alcohol.

My boy lives in Boseman too, he said they just passed an open container law, like six months ago. Makes sense that they didn't have one, there's no one out there to hit anyway.

nice drive kid said:
I saw something about it this spring, it's all object-golf.

Object golf? As in no baskets? Doesn't sound like what I hoped.

nice drive kid said:
Maybe they'll incorporate Mirror Lake into it, that'd be sick. Except you'd never want to get lost discs out of there, and your shoes would get covered in goose shit.

I'm a grad. student at UConn, and my building is right next to Mirror Lake. My shoes can handle the green goose goo, but I don't want that crap on my discs!

Yeah, I played the St. Paul 9-hole for the first time the other day. It looked like it was in transition -- could find the tee for one of the holes, and the distances seemed off. That ridge hole was unreal. I ended up off to the right of the ridge with about a 40 foot near-vertical putt! Ended up bogeying.

It was pretty decent, but tough! A little overgrown lately, but I bet it's a blast late fall.

Cross Farms is by far the best course to train on out of any of the courses I've ever played. My game improved fifty-fold after spending a whole winter playing that course. Best thing to do is play worst-disc and practice your escape shots. If you can get good at escape shots in the Cross Farms woods, you'll be able to pull them off anywhere. I love that course, can't wait to move back to Manchester so I can play it again.

I've played there once in the winter, and was not liking it. I'm not a big fan of tight courses. But yeah, I guess playing them all the time can seriously help you with learning escape shots (and line shaping). Maybe I should get out there more often.

One thing I noticed: in the winter with no leaves on the trees I couldn't even tell where the fairway was "supposed" to be. It just looked like a free-for-all through the woods on most holes with no real intended lines. Is this better in the Summer? The leaves on the trees might help aid finding lines by eliminating possibilities.... Or is the course just *that* tight?

banzai7 said:
I've played there once in the winter, and was not liking it. I'm not a big fan of tight courses. But yeah, I guess playing them all the time can seriously help you with learning escape shots (and line shaping). Maybe I should get out there more often.

One thing I noticed: in the winter with no leaves on the trees I couldn't even tell where the fairway was "supposed" to be. It just looked like a free-for-all through the woods on most holes with no real intended lines. Is this better in the Summer? The leaves on the trees might help aid finding lines by eliminating possibilities.... Or is the course just *that* tight?

It gets tighter in the summer. Hanging branches that are bare in the winter have leaves that spread out eliminating some lanes, but mostly making the established lanes even smaller. The possibilities are what makes it fun for me, it really teaches you to look for lanes even when none seem to be present. Plus, everyone knows that you're supposed to train harder than you play. After playing Cross Farms, the wooded holes on pretty much any other course will start to look like the Serengeti.

The people who say they hate Cross Farms are the ones who aren't man enough to embrace failure and learn from it. :D

definitely don't hate cross farms. I think some of the holes are incredibally well designed from a shot making standpoint.

however, I personally feel that the removal of just a few select trees on a handful of holes would make them tremendously better. some of these holes are just a bit too tight and too long for my taste.

but I love the use of elevation and the natural terrain that the course sits on.

Anyone heard anything or played at the course at Lyman Orchards? One of my friends told me he heard that theres a course in there now but I haven't been able to find much info on it

HomeSweetHolmes said:
Anyone heard anything or played at the course at Lyman Orchards? One of my friends told me he heard that theres a course in there now but I haven't been able to find much info on it

call em -> 860-349-1793
their website has one sentence thats says disc golf is fun.

<edit>
so i called lyman orchards and got the scoop on the disc golf.
there are NO BASKETS. its a "post" with markings on it.
18 holes. open 9am-5pm.
costs $7 for adults.
sounds like they expect people to not have their own discs because she told me the course is in the "front" of the orchards and you get your frisbees where you pay to play.

sounds pretty weak.

Let me ge this straight...

Lyman Orchards wants to charge us $7 a pop to play a course that doesn't have any baskets??

I'll stick to playing Wickham for $3-$4.

Connecticut - potential sites for new courses?
where do you fellow Connecticans think we can build some new courses?

Eisenhower Park in Milford is very similar to Cranbury Park and i personally think it would make a great location. Also the state colleges like Central and Southern.

i think Lyman orchards could have made a GREAT course, but it sounds like they have no clue.

so, what do you guys think?

Off topic but I had to post.

I just played Cranbury Park this weekend for the first time. I have to say that it was the most fun I've had playing in a long time. The old lady at the gate was awesome. She solicited our help carrying boxes, hooked us up with a map and a little history lesson, and mentioned that Utopia sells 'drug accessories'.

The tees are the best I've ever played on. WIDE and LONG! I didn't once think about my footing. The course is a perfect mix of everything. A couple good wide open holes in there. My fave had to be the basket up on top of the pile of boulders. I ended up 4 putting that for a double-bogey. :? I just wanted to say hats off to whoever organized the recent improvements. I never played the course prior, but in its current state, it is one of the nicest courses I've played. Definitely going back -- a lot.

banzai7 said:
Off topic but I had to post.

I just played Cranbury Park this weekend for the first time. I have to say that it was the most fun I've had playing in a long time. The old lady at the gate was awesome. She solicited our help carrying boxes, hooked us up with a map and a little history lesson, and mentioned that Utopia sells 'drug accessories'.

The tees are the best I've ever played on. WIDE and LONG! I didn't once think about my footing. The course is a perfect mix of everything. A couple good wide open holes in there. My fave had to be the basket up on top of the pile of boulders. I ended up 4 putting that for a double-bogey. :? I just wanted to say hats off to whoever organized the recent improvements. I never played the course prior, but in its current state, it is one of the nicest courses I've played. Definitely going back -- a lot.
Ryan Brunell and Cranbury Park disc golf club with a lot of sponsors and help. Utopia also sells discs, although I did buy one from them at the Cranbury Classic and the disc still smells like a head shot.

kmanoni said:
Connecticut - potential sites for new courses?
where do you fellow Connecticans think we can build some new courses?

Eisenhower Park in Milford is very similar to Cranbury Park and i personally think it would make a great location. Also the state colleges like Central and Southern.

i think Lyman orchards could have made a GREAT course, but it sounds like they have no clue.

so, what do you guys think?

I'm working on one in East Hampton CT. Got to finish getting through the red tape but it's easier when you are on the inside (I run all of the programs for the Parks and Recreation Dept.).

Latest posts