• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

consistantly or distance?

Discgolfer219

Banned
I seem to play with numerous players and most of these players can of course throw it 300 ft almost everytime, but 400 ft they can, but... they say I can't throw it that far consistantly. They tell me to just working at it. I do. I can occasionaly rip one 350. Mostly 275 to 325. I throw about 5 strokes better it seems when I just play conservitive throw a drive, and settle for 50 ft birdie oppurtunites. I am a great putter. Most of the courses I play only have a couple I can not reach. I mostly play Crooked Creek, and mix it up with a little Owens Field and Earlwood. I also play rock hill courses and charolete 2-3 times a month. PS I am taking 5 day disc golf course around the South East. any ideas where to go? only southeast. wow i ranted about some weird stuff.

i would rather be consistent then have a huge drive. you can drive 400' but not be able to putt and easily lose strokes over someone who can put but only drives 250'

I like to try to be consistent, I can't throw monsters and have to know I can try the long birdie. When you get near 60 years old and the kids you have taught kick your butt, you have to keep plugging along.

Research how many championships Ken Climo has won over people who throw further than him. Then how many times the distance contest winner at Worlds, also won Worlds.

For your southeast tour, consider Augusta. Like Charlotte, it's just a day-trip, so you might want to save it for later. But you've got the IDGC, Riverview & Lake Olmstead, plus a few others, so you can spend 2 of your days right there. You should also hit Lake Russell (Elberton, GA), and Richmond Hill (Asheville) gets high reviews. High Country (West Jefferson, NC) looks great. Fontana Village, deep in the mountains, is fine but it's not near any other courses. After that, it's a question of how far you want to roam.....as far as Florida? Nashville?

Every one of the top players I've seen share one common trait. Their short game is magnificent. I'd gladly take their P&A skills over driving 400'+ any day.

If you are hitting the Atlanta area the up and comers seem to be White Oak Park (Dallas GA (west side), and JP Moseley (south side).

Alexander Park opens in Lawrenceville (NE ATL) next weekend and promises to be a pretty tough and deceiving course (I have been told that it is harder than Redan...which wasn't too bad).

Lots of Ams bomb it 400+ or 500+... they ain't pros for a reason. Distance doesn't mean squat if your accuracy and short game aren't together. Throwing far often just means you have the power to be way, way, WAY off the fairway and deep into the schule.

Lots of Ams bomb it 400+ or 500+... they ain't pros for a reason. Distance doesn't mean squat if your accuracy and short game aren't together. Throwing far often just means you have the power to be way, way, WAY off the fairway and deep into the schule.

My wife comments on this a lot.

We will be playing and some dudes will catch up to us and we think crap, we probably need to pull over and let them pass through and we will stand on the tee for the next hole and watch them drive 400' and make it 10' from the pin. Then they proceed to shoot from one side of the basket to the other for another 5-6 strokes before finally getting it in.

By then we are 2 holes ahead.

The only way distance over rules accuracy is if you are playing 500 ft holes and longer and they are mostly wide open. I mean a person that throws 250 accuratly on a 700 ft hole still does not have the advantage over someone who throws the first shot 500 even if it is 50 ft off line. But holes 400 and under I believe accuracy is key.

When I was starting out I used to play with this guy who had even more of a noodle arm than I have. I would out-drive him all over the place, yet when we added up the scores at the end of the round, his score was always better than mine.

I started looking at what part of the game was different between us and what I found was that it was the mid-range shots that really told the tale. He could consistently place the disc well within easy putting range while for me, it was a matter of sheer dumb luck.

Now that I've gotten my drives under control - so I don't have to approach from deep schule - I'm getting my share of wins. Now, when I play with young guns who can rip 400-450 feet but don't have the upshot skills, I make up the difference with improved approaches.

So yeah, it would be nice to be able to drive every hole under, say, 450' but with tight fairways, doglegs, mandies, and flight paths forced by trees all getting in the way, having a reliable upshot will save your bacon more than a cannon arm.

Guess it depends on what kind of course you're playing - out in the flatlands where D is the name of the game, long drives become the moneymakers. On tight courses, accuracy is where it's at.

:: stops preaching to the choir ::

Dang, Matt - you said iggzackedly the same thing I did only in way fewer words!

Accuracy is better. Say you have two guys, one who can throw 450' and one who can throw 300'. However, the 300' guy has accuracy, whereas the 450' guy has none. the only holes the 450' guy has a better shot on are holes around or over 1000'. Why? Because the 450' guy has to take an approach shot on almost every hole, whereas the 300' guy has to take an approach shot only when his distance doesn't allow him to make it to the hole. so, on a 500' hole, 300' guy takes a drive and a long approach, and 450' guy takes a drive and a medium range approach. At this point, they are both in putting range, but the 300' guy has better accuracy and a better chance at making his putt.

I'd go with accuracy any day over distance-although i'd like to have both.

I have played with a guy who can out throw me by 60-100ft, but he has a lot of trouble on tight fairways, and he can't putt to save his live. He has a big arm, but he has little accuracy.

until lately ive always had one of the shorter drives on the card, but my accuracy was always better than the rest, as far as drives and approach shots go...(my putting sucked)...but somehow i always seemed to finish ahead of everyone else.....accuracy has always been the key for me, and it has worked for me quiet well....now everythings starting to fall into place and my drives, putts, and accuracy are all workin for me....and just when i think ive hit the top, i get put into open division and get slapped right back down to the bottom *sighs* :)

I have one of the bigger arms in the group of friends I play with, It is hard to be accurate with long drives. I can consistently throw 350-400, with my longest 487. I practice my long drives in a field and work on keeping it within a 40ft path. If only my putting was as good as my drives id be throwing negatives more often, I guess it really depends on what course your playing and how comfortable you feel with your shot selection. I would take accuracy and consistency over a long drive any day, but if I am confident and dedicated to that long drive, ill go for the deuce. Its always good to know your discs even when they are worn in, I always stick with the ones I know and keep multiples of them.