• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crazy playing styles/throwing techniques... That work?!

saw a guy throwing rollers with the flight plate facing the side of his face and thumb tucked inside the rim like we was trying to put forward spin on the disc before it hit the ground yet couldnt control angle or speed much at all... I dont think this is even a real shot it is like the reverse grip FH roller? Lol.

I can say out of the many times used it was often followed by swearing.

I learned this shot from David Greenwell, and I use it fairly regularly. He uses it quite a bit and does it very well. He talks about it in this video.

I just looked at the players at the Gentlemen's open, and saw Azie Rogers. Like a few other folks mentioned, I saw the video of her playing the Phoenix Open late last year. I honestly cackled when I saw her first drive.

Then I saw how far it went.

Then I found out that she was 13.

Holy... :eek:

If she gets her putting in order, she's going to be killing it.

I'll bet she loses that frenetic run up eventually. It brings nothing to the throw and will be a long term detriment to accuracy.

I saw a guy throw a skip shot faceplate down with a forehand. It hit the ground on the top of the disc, flipped up while turning right, and then faded out left at the end. It was in a heavily wooded 250' hole and he parked it.

There was confused silence followed by a ton of questions. I never could replicate the shot because I could never get that kind of spin with my thumb on the rim.

I've played a few rounds with HB Clark, his putting technique I've never seen replicated. He calls it a push putt, but it's unlike any push putt you've ever seen. Start with a power grip, then extend your pointer finger like you're pointing about 90* right of the target and lay it along the rim, hold the disc at eye level and push it towards the target, using your index finger to push it forward. I do believe he beat me every time...

Not super crazy but interesting. I played three rounds with this kid at the 2002 pro Worlds in Houston. He threw a green Discraft X2 on most holes. He threw it for hyzers, sky annies, rollers, upshots, etc. One disc very effectively for probably 70% of his throws. We were around 30th place in Open so playing well too. That kid was Nate Doss. I saw him a couple of years ago and we laughed about it. He said, "I loved that disc".

When my buddy from WI lived in NC we would occasionally play Kentwood. On hole 8, a 288' downhill shot, he would throw an upside down (flight plate down) forehand shot that would skip about 2/3 of the way down the fairway. After the skip the disc would turn completely over and finish its flight to the basket right side up. Reminded me of a corkscrew loop on a roller coaster.

I saw a guy throw a skip shot faceplate down with a forehand. It hit the ground on the top of the disc, flipped up while turning right, and then faded out left at the end. It was in a heavily wooded 250' hole and he parked it.

There was confused silence followed by a ton of questions. I never could replicate the shot because I could never get that kind of spin with my thumb on the rim.

This sounds like what Billy Crump has called "The Quisenberry," I assume after the side-arm relief pitcher from back in the day.

There's a video out there somewhere where Brian Schweberger throws one and Crump gets amped.

I've played a few rounds with HB Clark, his putting technique I've never seen replicated. He calls it a push putt, but it's unlike any push putt you've ever seen. Start with a power grip, then extend your pointer finger like you're pointing about 90* right of the target and lay it along the rim, hold the disc at eye level and push it towards the target, using your index finger to push it forward. I do believe he beat me every time...

If I follow correctly, its a putt that looks like the person is going to flick it, but it comes out spinning clockwise, like a backhand (RHBH) putt? If so, that's what I learned as the push putt way before I nerded out online and learned all the standard terminology we use today. I've mostly only used it as a novelty when playing catch or something, but it actually comes in handy in certain situations.

For instance, if you're behind an obstacle and can't get a decent line with a straddle, and a flick is too dangerous because of blow by/roll away potential, you can reach out and basically give a little hyzer push putt. My accuracy is spotty since I rarely do it, but even if I miss, the disc will most likely be right next to the basket.

People who have not had extensive experience with 'Frisbees' and the history of flying disc sports really miss out on a lot of these 'odd' techniques. The relatively narrow range of throws that are actually 'rewarded' in disc golf reinforces this myopia.

Consider that there are 4 main grips for a disc and 2 basic/main stances. Combine that with the range of motion of one's shoulder and you have a nearly unlimited variety of releases and potential disc flights. More or less all of which have had a practical (and fun) use in another less popular disc game. They also have potential utility for disc golf, if for nothing else than allowing your imagination for potential solutions to specific 'golf situations' to grow.

The solid execution of one of these 'creative' type shots in response to a difficult situation is one of the supreme pleasures in this game. I should know. I started out very wild, so the first part of my game to really develop was 'scrambling' ability...

I've used a Ultimate "push pass" for a short approach around an obstacle. That confused my card mates. Ive also played with an older guy who putted by facing the basket with his putter held across his body and he would just fling the disc recklessly at the basket. He was inconsistent from all ranges.

Kneeling, reach out to arms length turbo putt weird hybrid thing yesterday to pick up a 2, Couldn't see it go in, but the annoyance/disbelief of my card mates gave immediate feedback on the result ;)

First one that comes to mind is Ms Azie Rogers from this video from the 2016 Phoenix Ladies Open posted today- what a run up!

See 1:10

I'll bet she loses that frenetic run up eventually. It brings nothing to the throw and will be a long term detriment to accuracy.

I agree. It looks like she mostly stops when she plants her right foot, losing all or most of her momentum from the runup, not translating it into her throw. On one hole, #9, she does not do the runup, and that shot is more accurate than most of her other shots.

Define crazy.

Ron Russell has a patent pending (aka backwards facing) anhyzer spin putt -- and he's a World Champion.

And how any age-protected championships has Brad Hammock won?

Last edited:
Define crazy.

Ron Russell has a patent pending (aka backwards facing) anhyzer spin putt -- and he's a World Champion.

And how any age-protected championships has Brad Hammock won?

Good examples. I don't know about "crazy" but Ron's putting style and Brad's preshot routine are certainly unique and seem to work rather well.

I've used a Ultimate "push pass" for a short approach around an obstacle. That confused my card mates

I do this a lot now. It really is a nifty shot to have when you're behind a wall of crap on a guarded green. Way less likely to skip or roll crazily far than a flick or something similar that's hard to finesse.

First one that comes to mind is Ms Azie Rogers from this video from the 2016 Phoenix Ladies Open posted today- what a run up!

Check out Ohn Scoggins's skip jump putt @9:45:cool:

She might have had some gymnastics training there, definitely nailed the landing:clap:

Latest posts