• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Creative disc retrieval ideas....

jon_boi

I've been pretty solid about not loosing discs lately, but i got stuck up in a tree.... pissed of 30 minutes later after throwing rocks I got it down, but it sorta got me thinking about creative disc retrieval. Wondering if anybody has cool ideas. Obviously the golden retriever is a hit and It's common for folks out here to carry a baseball for trees, but what else....

Here are a few of my ideas, wondering if anybody's tried/seen/or can top these:
1) Discs in Trees- Anybody tried an airsoft pistol? Seems like the ammo is soft and biodegradable and I can't imagine 200-300fps would put a dent/hole in disc. I would think it could move a disc pretty well though... I've been keeping my eye on prices, but it seems like 25-30$ could get you there, and they have some pretty small pistols that would fit in a bag...it would also be pretty fun.

2) Disc on Ice - RC car with a hook to get discs off of the ice. Seems like they are light enough to stay above water. You'd need a good enough one with decent control reception range, but it seems feasable...CONS- you'd probably have to leave it in your car and the cost may prohibitive to get one that works well.

3) disc in water- Remote contol submarine with a claw, infared lighting, urethane sensors, and wireless camera to get to the hardest places....Not feasable, but I salivate when I think about all the CE plastic deep in the depths of various courses. Finding a first run CE teebird that has been wet for a couple years, would really test my conscience on calling the name on the back.

Based on the posts I see I am pretty confident at least a few of you dream of the sunken CE/first run treasure 10" out of reach....

jon_boi said:
I've been pretty solid about not loosing discs lately, but i got stuck up in a tree.... pissed of 30 minutes later after throwing rocks I got it down, but it sorta got me thinking about creative disc retrieval. Wondering if anybody has cool ideas. Obviously the golden retriever is a hit and It's common for folks out here to carry a baseball for trees, but what else....

Here are a few of my ideas, wondering if anybody's tried/seen/or can top these:
1) Discs in Trees- Anybody tried an airsoft pistol? Seems like the ammo is soft and biodegradable and I can't imagine 200-300fps would put a dent/hole in disc. I would think it could move a disc pretty well though... I've been keeping my eye on prices, but it seems like 25-30$ could get you there, and they have some pretty small pistols that would fit in a bag...it would also be pretty fun.

2) Disc on Ice - RC car with a hook to get discs off of the ice. Seems like they are light enough to stay above water. You'd need a good enough one with decent control reception range, but it seems feasable...CONS- you'd probably have to leave it in your car and the cost may prohibitive to get one that works well.

3) disc in water- Remote contol submarine with a claw, infared lighting, urethane sensors, and wireless camera to get to the hardest places....Not feasable, but I salivate when I think about all the CE plastic deep in the depths of various courses. Finding a first run CE teebird that has been wet for a couple years, would really test my conscience on calling the name on the back.

Based on the posts I see I am pretty confident at least a few of you dream of the sunken CE/first run treasure 10" out of reach....

I could see problems carrying a pistol around with you in a sport known for drinking/ smoking up. Police would be all over you.

For discs on Ice my friend tried an RC helicopter once with a hook on it. It didn't work but probably because he was bad a flying it. Usually I just slide branches across the ice at the disc to try to move it close enough to a side to get.

A golder retriever works great for water I bet it would also work for ice.
Always have at least one climber in your foursome. True climbers will not resist the chance to go get a disc out of a tree even if it is not theirs.
B

It's not perfectly clear in the below pic, but the Creekside course we play at has a disc retriever that is nothing more than a straight paint roller on the end of a telescoping swimming pool pole. The paint roller is pretty much a hook, and the pole is 15 feet long or so... maybe longer.

2008-11-29_pick1.jpg

A friend of mine always kept a small, foldable slingshot in his bag for some of the high-tree retrievals. You can always find some rocks for ammo, and it doesn't risk hurting the disc. Also much smaller to transport than an airsoft gun, and less likely to get you in trouble.

I'm going to bring a full (and extra) nalgene bottle (unbreakable)

Also, I got a golf ball retriever which telescopes out to 10' long (and collapses to 19")
I've read someone trying a tape measure, which is clever because of how compact it is (some models extend to 11' without collapsing)

An airsoft gun is a really good idea. One of the wal-mart type airsofts that's made of clear plastic wouldn't draw attention. People would realize it's a toy.

Your rc car is a good idea. I'm thinking about built an rc boat to dredge winthrop lake. A big boat could be built using car batteries and a slow motor. A net could be attached to a heavy piece of wood of metal (to drag the bottom), then the line attached to the net could be pulled up slowly. (Hopefully pulling up disc.) Of course a john-boat could do the same thing, but it's less portable.

seadoc said:
nalgene bottle (unbreakable)

LIES!!! They're hard to break, but not unbreakable. I've gone through about 3 of the so far. One broke while filled by a simple drop off the table. (They do ricocet pretty far when you toss them at pavement, or kick them w/ steel toes though...)

SkeeterBuzzzonaut said:
An airsoft gun is a really good idea... Of course a john-boat could do the same thing, but it's less portable.

Would an airsoft pellet really have enough force to dislodge a disc? Them things are pretty light. Also, use a canoe. Very portable, but less stable. Or, one of those fishing float tubes.

pd

A local course with LOTS of water spawned the best H2O retrievers I have ever witnessed. The Local crew, known as The Trojan Nation (the course is on the grounds of the old Trojan nuclear plant), are the masters; every member carries a spool of very thin nylon twine. When a disc hits the water (a floater that is) they grab a nearby stick, tie it to the twine, huk it out beyond the disc and reel it in. Sounds easy I know, but it's not. With the amount of practice the Nation has had there is no down time playing the hole. I don't worry about it, in that I don't throw floating plastic, if it hits the water, I let it go. As for treed discs, I carry a Lacrosse ball. As for ice, throw skip shots.

I remeber Midnight Biker posting some pics of stuff he made, pretty ingenious. I dont carry anything, I just throw my discs in the fairway :p

When I don't have my tree climbing maniac buddy with me, I use a 60 foot length of small diameter polypro rope attached to a large (3") metal washer. A swing over the offending branch and a few tugs work wonders. For more difficult discs trapped in-board on the tree, I'll play out the line until I can grab both ends and really give the branch a shake. It has never failed me, although sometimes more than a few swings are necessary to "grab" well hidden discs. :wink:

I have a home made retriever "loosely" based on the Golden Retriever. It's not as nice as the first one I built. We were fishing a disc off the ice and neither one of us held the free end of the rope.....Next day ice melted. Disc and retriever were gone :?

I have had good luck with my retractable golf ball retriever for getting discs out of trees though.

I've somehow gotten addicted to tree climbing. I don't know. I used to be afraid of heights and I still am a little bit. I think by climbing trees, I may be trying to make up for sucking so bad at rock wall climbing when I was younger. I wait for someone to get their disc stuck all the way in the top of a tree so I can see how fast I can get up there. Something is seriously wrong with me.

Jesse B 707 said:
an airsoft gun does not shoot nearly hard enough to get a disc down

Don't ask me how I know that a BB pellet must hit the wing to have a chance of dropping a disc down. Hitting the flight plate just gets absorbed by the flight plate flexing. At least if a disc is lodged between pine needles or branches. So I'm wary of suggesting an airsoft gun. If one works it's gonna be hitting the wing and probably even then only discs that aren't stuck. I'm not hopeful.