• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique

BennyDC13

Been playing DG since last summer, but I don't play much in the winter. Although I just created an account here, I've been reading a lot about technique on the forums for the past few months. I know I'm having some weight transfer issues but I feel good about how my form has progressed so far. This video only shows two throws. The first being a 165g DX Teebird, and the 2nd being a beat up 175g DX Archangel. In both throws I was trying to throw flat with nose down as best I could. Distance was about 300-350 ft for each throw.

Regular Speed

Slowed Down

Feel free to critique away!

You are trying to reachback too far and leaning away out of athletic posture and your weight gets stuck behind your rear heel and then you are throwing your head and shoulders past your front foot/knee so posture and leverage have left the building. Go to 2:05 and watch how Paul keeps his body more forward and balance and posture more upright and turns/torques his upper body against the lower body much later in the backswing. Look at the difference in your positioning in the top of the backswing(when your front heel lands), and the difference in the finish position.

I believe you have the problems I've been working on. I think I'm doing better now, and what it feels like to me is reversing what my torso is doing. Instead of moving back with the disc, it's moving forward with the body. Not sure that's right, though. Or I'd be working on something else, probably ...

Do you think I need a little bit longer stride?
Opposite. Your x-step behind is very long which gets you out of balance/posture and makes it hard to really load the rear hip properly, and also makes you then stride long.

I believe you have the problems I've been working on. I think I'm doing better now, and what it feels like to me is reversing what my torso is doing. Instead of moving back with the disc, it's moving forward with the body. Not sure that's right, though. Or I'd be working on something else, probably ...
Could you explain what you mean a little bit more? I don't quite understand.

When I'm reaching back, I used to be trying to get the disc as far behind my front foot as possible. Now, I'm trying to extend my arm as quickly as possible by moving my torso towards the target (away from the disc) on reachback. So at max reachback, the disc is closer to my front foot than it used to be, but just as far or farther from my chest.

I'm not a pro by any means, but I think if you had your left arm by your body instead of swinging it around like you do, you could increase your rotation speed.