• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

Grippenripp

* Ace Member *
I'm looking for a mid to cycle that isn't a roc, I prefer a beaded mid and I like the wasp more than. Any other disc I've ever thrown, cycling Z plastic isn't really a thing. What are some other molds that are good to cycle and beat in to achieve different lines and keep the same feel across the board with my mids? Thanks for your advice, looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Could try the Legacy Ghost, though it's very similar to the Roc. Doesn't latitude have a beaded mid, too? I do t know their lineup that well.

If you really like the wasp then you could try to find it in a different plastic than Z. ESP, TI, and Jawbreaker are out there. Not sure if pro D and X Wasps were ever a thing.

With Teebirds and wraiths I cycle Star and use one in champ plastic as the most stable of the cycle. No reason you couldn't do that with Wasps. I prioritize mold consistency over plastic consistency.

The Gila is really cool as well, a little faster, but it beats in well and Forehands great for a big beaded disc.

Classic Suspect from DD
Small bead feels great
Throws great FH or BH
0/3 turn/stability which beats down to 0/2 and 0/1 quickly in Classic plastic

Could try the Legacy Ghost, though it's very similar to the Roc. Doesn't latitude have a beaded mid, too? I do t know their lineup that well.

If you really like the wasp then you could try to find it in a different plastic than Z. ESP, TI, and Jawbreaker are out there. Not sure if pro D and X Wasps were ever a thing.

With Teebirds and wraiths I cycle Star and use one in champ plastic as the most stable of the cycle. No reason you couldn't do that with Wasps. I prioritize mold consistency over plastic consistency.

To Wasps are like Z in the sense that it takes forever to beat them in, therefore it's not really cycleable. ESP wasp is discontinued and JB is the only baseline plastic it comes in and it's only SE runs(ledgestone, GMC) so I'm scared to start the cycle with JB because 1) beats in way too quickly, gouges and scuffs way too easily 2) who knows when they'll decide to do the SE discs in another plastic? I really do wish it could be the wasp with a Z as the beefcake.

To Wasps are like Z in the sense that it takes forever to beat them in, therefore it's not really cycleable. ESP wasp is discontinued and JB is the only baseline plastic it comes in and it's only SE runs(ledgestone, GMC) so I'm scared to start the cycle with JB because 1) beats in way too quickly, gouges and scuffs way too easily 2) who knows when they'll decide to do the SE discs in another plastic? I really do wish it could be the wasp with a Z as the beefcake.

That's supposed to be Ti**

If you love the Wasp that much, my honest advice would be to keep throwing Wasps and pair them with Comets to fill out your midrange lineup. If you just really want to try a Roc cycle with something that doesn't say "Roc" on it, then check out the Legacy Ghost in Gravity or Protege plastic.

I second the Legacy Ghost recommendation. I just discovered that disc and am thinking about replacing my shark with it. And I've carried the same shark for 8 years.

If you love the Wasp that much, my honest advice would be to keep throwing Wasps and pair them with Comets to fill out your midrange lineup. If you just really want to try a Roc cycle with something that doesn't say "Roc" on it, then check out the Legacy Ghost in Gravity or Protege plastic.

I understand that it was the roc first, I was just curious as to what other people have cycled, currently I'm throwing Wasps and Buzzzes and I'm not totally unhappy with that setup, I just have this thing in my head where I really want like one mold to cover everything and I really like the beaded feel. The Roc isn't out of the question still.

The Roc isn't out of the question still.

Dude.. KC Pro Rocs. Can't go wrong with them, in my opinion. I have had a really good experience with them after switching in '16. One of them is beat into that 'unicorn roc' spot, and the lines it can pull off are sights to behold (when I'm throwing well :p)

Just out of curiosity, why exactly are you steering away from Rocs?

Dude.. KC Pro Rocs. Can't go wrong with them, in my opinion. I have had a really good experience with them after switching in '16. One of them is beat into that 'unicorn roc' spot, and the lines it can pull off are sights to behold (when I'm throwing well :p)

Just out of curiosity, why exactly are you steering away from Rocs?

Well, I'm not sure honestly, I think it's because I've not liked any Innova disc I've thrown. I am considering the roc tho.

KC Rocs are amazing, as are Champ and McPro Roc3s. Add a couple DX and you should be good to go, if not I'll take em. I tried various things that weren't Rocs for mids, and if I didn't have at least one Roc in the bag, I was going to have a bad round. A beat Roc is the only thing that can achieve the same things a Comet can.

Are you avoiding the Roc because everyone says throw a Roc?
I get that, but really, Rocs are made to cycle.
Try a DX and a KC to start, you might be surprised.

I'm not against offering other options though
Lat64 Mace
Legacy Ghost
DD Suspect - Smaller diameter and if you like flat or puddle top, these may work, but they don't have that nice beat Roc type flight and glide when beat in.

You can also cycle Comets. MJ does! And keep the wasp for the beefier end.

Lat64 Mace
Legacy Ghost
DD Suspect - Smaller diameter and if you like flat or puddle top, these may work, but they don't have that nice beat Roc type flight and glide when beat in.

To an extent, yes. Also because I've had bad experiences with Innova, I DK however understand and respect that there's a reason everyone says "throw a Roc" so there's that. I kinda am that obscure dude, rooting for the underdogs as well. So in the interest of being me, just looking around. If the Roc wins then it does but the Wasp being my favorite disc kinda leans me toward the Comet cycle with the Wasp on OS duties. The ghost was a consideration but for the flide factor I think it's either coming down to Roc. Or Comet cycle.

Last edited:

Lat64 Mace
Legacy Ghost

Thanks for the mace suggestion, I forgot about it. And if it's glide I'm worried about I know that sweet swedish plastic does that well.

Could try the Legacy Ghost, though it's very similar to the Roc.

The ghost is probably the right answer. Wide variety of plastics that you can cycle even. Excel is DX, Gravity is soft pro, and Protege is hard pro (kc pro-like) Then you can add in a pinnacle ghost to top off the cycling. I personally prefer gravity for cycling, and carried a cycle of ghosts for a couple of seasons.

Now, I use the comet as my main midrange with 1 z and 1 z flx wasp to compliment. I don't feel any gaps in my midrange lineup and have a short cycle of comets with a beat x, a beat z, and a new MJ z comet.

That being said - there's a good reason why everyone says DX Rocs are the way to go. If you like a bead they will work, period. Everything else to consider is personal preference.

Last edited: