• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

The ghost is probably the right answer. Wide variety of plastics that you can cycle even. Excel is DX, Gravity is soft pro, and Protege is hard pro (kc pro-like) Then you can add in a pinnacle ghost to top off the cycling. I personally prefer gravity for cycling, and carried a cycle of ghosts for a couple of seasons.

Now, I use the comet as my main midrange with 1 z and 1 z flx wasp to compliment. I don't feel any gaps in my midrange lineup and have a short cycle of comets with a beat x, a beat z, and a new MJ z comet.

That being said - there's a good reason why everyone says DX Rocs are the way to go. If you like a bead they will work, period. Everything else to consider is personal preference.

Any difference in an mjntour Z Comet and my Z or Z Glo Comets?

If you love the Wasp that much, my honest advice would be to keep throwing Wasps and pair them with Comets to fill out your midrange lineup. If you just really want to try a Roc cycle with something that doesn't say "Roc" on it, then check out the Legacy Ghost in Gravity or Protege plastic.

The Ghost is a Roc, basically.

OP: If you like the Wasp so much, why don't you like the Buzzz? If I threw Discraft, I'd pair those two up in a second.

Kind of an opposite point of view I have on this...I throw all Innova except midranges. I throw BuzzzOS-Hornet-Buzzz-BuzzzSS, all in Z plastic, because I don't want to cycle Rocs. This series covers *almost* every stability need. I say *almost* because I am currently trying the Meteor to add an even more understable option. To me they all feel almost the same in the grip (except a couple are beadless), so it's really easy to throw this series.

They fly the way they're supposed to, straight out of the box, and hold that flight for a long time. Easy to replace when one goes in the lake. Whereas the Rocs are constantly changing, it seems needlessly complicated to keep track of all the different runs and to learn how to manage all the seasoning they need. And god forbid you throw a perfectly seasoned one into a lake...irreplaceable.

BTW I stopped carrying the Wasp because for me it overlapped too much with my Hornet and Buzzz. Great discs though

The Ghost is a Roc, basically.

OP: If you like the Wasp so much, why don't you like the Buzzz? If I threw Discraft, I'd pair those two up in a second.

I do like the buzz. But the goal here is to find a beaded (I like beaded better) mid that I can cycle one of (I like consistency also) this is just what step of making my perfect bag that I'm on.

Kind of an opposite point of view I have on this...I throw all Innova except midranges. I throw BuzzzOS-Hornet-Buzzz-BuzzzSS, all in Z plastic, because I don't want to cycle Rocs. This series covers *almost* every stability need. I say *almost* because I am currently trying the Meteor to add an even more understable option. To me they all feel almost the same in the grip (except a couple are beadless), so it's really easy to throw this series.

They fly the way they're supposed to, straight out of the box, and hold that flight for a long time. Easy to replace when one goes in the lake. Whereas the Rocs are constantly changing, it seems needlessly complicated to keep track of all the different runs and to learn how to manage all the seasoning they need. And god forbid you throw a perfectly seasoned one into a lake...irreplaceable.

BTW I stopped carrying the Wasp because for me it overlapped too much with my Hornet and Buzzz. Great discs though

I do not carry a hornet and it's the next step up from my Buzzz (also don't carry an OS) maybe in just complicated and cycling isn't going to be right for me in the long run and I'll continue to throw my Z Buzzz, X Buzzz, wasp Combo and maybe add a Comet in there.

I got my first Roc a few months ago just to see what all the fuss is about. It's awesome. A beautiful straight flight and reliable but not excessive fade. I love the Warrant/Truth combo that I bag and just rounded out my set with a Verdict, but I totally get the appeal of the Roc cycle and could see myself going down that road in the future. The Roc really does live up to its billing.

I also get the iconoclasm instinct. If the Ghost is a good Roc clone, that's the obvious answer.

Go with the Wasp/Comet pairing. Easy to replace, with no wear in time or need to search for used discs beat to a certain degree. Also they'll run LE Wasps and LE Comets yearly and you can squeeze those into the lineup as they come out, just for kicks, and always fall back on the old reliable Zs. On the right Wasp, left Comet:

Attachments

• Wasp and Comet.jpg
    Wasp and Comet.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 57
I throw Buzz, Buzz OS, and Buzz SS. In titanium. Here it is, titanium, like GStar is soft and pliable, and lasts forever. None of the Champ style plastics are as gummy or as holdable. Most of the cheap plastics are slippery and hard too. Till I can get an Innova range that covers all angles, that I don't have to wear in, in a good style of plastic, not too interested. BTW - the mako in G Star might fly like a Buzz SS from what I read. If I had to switch to Innova, that's where I'd start. I like Innova, they are a big part of my bag, but in this area, I'm not a fan.

Next, I like flat top discs. They feel better in my hand. The Buzz in titanium is flat flat flat. I like that. The humpy variations in the Roc would make me nuts.

I'm lucky, not a fan of beaded anything. :)

"I flunked flank." Left is the Wasp, right is the Comet. (You'd know, being a Wasp thrower, but just wanted to correct that...)

Yeah, I looked at that and was like "nope" but it's all good I like that you post profile comparisons quite often. I just wish the Wasp was in esp and x it'd solve all my problems in life right now.

"I flunked flank." Left is the Wasp, right is the Comet. (You'd know, being a Wasp thrower, but just wanted to correct that...)

The worst part is that I didn't even pay attention to what you said, I just assumed the Wasp was on the left and the Comet was on the right. I've only thrown one Comet, and saw a Wasp briefly. I based my assumption based on Roc and Wombat logic.

Yeah, I looked at that and was like "nope" but it's all good I like that you post profile comparisons quite often. I just wish the Wasp was in esp and x it'd solve all my problems in life right now.

Well the Comet gets a lot of love for good reason (use to be a Comet thrower till I found the Buzzz) and will fill the role till those LE Wasp runs hit. For instance, right now, you should be buying up some Jawbreaker Wasps:
https://infinitediscs.com/Discraft-Wasp/Jawbreaker

You're going to get a LE run every year. The year before, it was the ESP Wasp, and this year you Wasp throwers are getting a sweet run (Luckily for me, also in the Buzzz and BuzzzSS):
output.jpg

wasp.jpg

Well the Comet gets a lot of love for good reason (use to be a Comet thrower till I found the Buzzz) and will fill the role till those LE Wasp runs hit. For instance, right now, you should be buying up some Jawbreaker Wasps:
https://infinitediscs.com/Discraft-Wasp/Jawbreaker

You're going to get a LE run every year. The year before, it was the ESP Wasp, and this year you Wasp throwers are getting a sweet run (Luckily for me, also in the Buzzz and BuzzzSS):
output.jpg

wasp.jpg

Screw the JB where do I get this bad boys??!

Also I'm throwing buzz wasp and comet right now, I can't decide if I wanna use the x buzz or the comet, I almost aced with the comet the day I put it back in my bag last week and I do use it for form work. I'll figure it out eventually.

Infinitediscs is the official vendor this year. They'll release them in waves and the first wave was just shipped out to vendors. The Wasps are in wave 2, around April 2nd.

Yeah, a little research after posting that and I found what I wanted to know I want a slarlle glo Buzzz a big z zone and an esp Wasp (or as many of these all as I am allowed to buy) those things were pretty and my wife thinks they're pretty enough to support me spending as much as I want LoL, good times.

Latest posts