• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

Again, in what plastic? For Star and Champ, it's more like 2-3 years, not months. Maybe you play on really rough courses that tear your discs up. Even with a lot of use, I've yet to beat in a Champion plastic disc to any change in flight pattern.

I haven't found this to be true in my experience. Champion plastic usually breaks in pretty quickly(I don't mean to beat stage). But once it gets to that slightly broken in stage, it WILL tend to stay there for a very long time, if not for ever. But, stable to over stable discs tend to lose some of that dumpy-ness and hard fade fairly quickly. Maybe if you play in a completely open course you might never see ANY change, but a few(dozen) tree hits should do the trick for most players.

What is all this talk about "knowing discs"? I need all of a dozen throws to "know" a disc.

I have done extreme mold minimalism and also had 20 different discs in the bag. I can honestly say that I knew exactly how each of those 20 different molds flew, probably better then cycles because the cycles are always changing.

The idea that you need independent practice time with each different mold is rediculous. The muscle memory doesn't change all that much with the grip.

You must play/practice a huge amount to really know 20 different discs and what they do on different lines and in different conditions.

100 throws with one disc on a variety of angles/lines will always be better than 33 throws with 3 different discs.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

If I wasn't going to cycle mids, I would bag a KC Pro Roc and an X-Comet. (I hate premium plastic mids)

Well, that is actually what I did.

Then, the Comet beat into the sweetest turn over disc.
Winter came along so I changed out the KC for a DX Roc.
The DX beat into cover a new Comet, so I added another new DX Roc.
Warm weather came and the KC went back in the bag.
Then I lost my perfectly seasoned Comet!!:eek:
But my beat DX Roc was able to cover that!!:thmbup:
Meanwhile, I did a lot of Roc field work
So in the end, I have a stack of Rocs
I know how they wear, I know how they fly and I know how to work them.

So, why change? What would be the advantage in chasing new mids given that I have found what works for me?

I've tried it both ways, had lots of different mids at one time.
Just my opinion from my own experience.
This makes sense, you went into a cycle organically, it just happened. What doesn't make sense to me is to try to force a cycle. Either way, why change something that works?

A cycle like this wouldn't work for me tho because the Roc feels so horrible in the hand. I don't really like any beaded discs, they get hung up on my ring finger when I try to power them up, so I'm sticking with shallower discs ... except the Harp which I'm only throwing sidearm

Last edited:
The purpose of this thread wasn't actually for everyone to describe their current cycles, although a thread like that would probably be pretty awesome.

I would say ORDB's description of his Roc cycle was a great example of cycling, but not necessarily of bag minimalism since no one really needs 7 mids in their bag to make all their midrange shots. I'm not trying to pick on ORDB and I know he can tear it up with only 2 or 3 Rocs as well, just trying to pick an example.

Excellent post, no need to quote it all.

That thread would be a good one. For those of us that have found cycling useful. Except it would be full of posts saying that NOt cycling is just as good. Which is fair. Myabe there could be a partner "here's my bag full of all different molds" thread too. To keep the riff-raff out.

I appreciate your confidence. Not sure I "can tear it up" with 3 Rocs or 23 Rocs, but 7 is a silly number. I was trying some stuff out and doing rainy-empty-course fieldwork. It's neat to try to throw one hole with 5 different KC Rocs, just working release angles or looking for alternate lines.

Usually, I'm a 5 Roc kid of fellow--a Champ Rancho and 4 KC/DX. But, the more time I spend throwing Rocs the more I realize I can do well with them. I used to carry a Zone (Gator for a while too, and Harps for a while, and Sentinels for a WHILE) but over time have realized that I am more confident working 90% of those Zone type shots with a beefy Roc. And it makes me better at other Roc shots--really learning how to make that one mold do so many different things. Sure, in 30mph left-to-right headwinds, I sometimes wish I still had true Zone beef. So I have one in my trunk, just in case, but I am better at throwing ALL Roc shots because I try to make a Roc work for ALL midrange/approach type shots.

I cycle. I minimize choices and molds. I carry too many discs.

Start that cycling thread. And keep up the good posts.

While field testing, if one stands out as covering particular shots for me better than one of the ones I'm currently bagging, then they may get swapped out in my main bag when I get home.

Aren't we all doing it this way, no matter what discs or molds?

You must play/practice a huge amount to really know 20 different discs and what they do on different lines and in different conditions.

100 throws with one disc on a variety of angles/lines will always be better than 33 throws with 3 different discs.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

That makes no sense. If you're getting all the lines you want who cares what Discs you use? It's 100% personal preference. None is better than the other. Not only that but your analogy is backwards. You're first comparing more throws than discs to more kick styles than kicks. Not only that if you can only kick one way in a fight you're screwed. Your only kick is countered then you get the **** beaten out of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes no sense. If you're getting all the lines you want who cares what Discs you use? It's 100% personal preference. None is better than the other. Not only that but your analogy is backwards. You're first comparing more throws than discs to more kick styles than kicks. Not only that if you can only kick one way in a fight you're screwed. Your only kick is countered then you get the **** beaten out of you.

WTF?!?!

A cycle like this wouldn't work for me tho because the Roc feels so horrible in the hand. I don't really like any beaded discs, they get hung up on my ring finger when I try to power them up, so I'm sticking with shallower discs ... except the Harp which I'm only throwing sidearm

Yes it would, you just don't cycle beaded mids.

Buzzz
MD2 or 3
M2 or 3
Truth
blah
blah

There are lots of beadless mids out there

Yeah, that obscure, little known martial artist named Bruce Lee he was quoting really had no idea what he was talking about. He really got the s**t beaten out of him all the time. That guy was such an idiot. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that obscure, little known martial artist named Bruce Lee he was quoting really had no idea what he was talking about. He really got the s**t beaten out of him all the time. That guy was such an idiot. :rolleyes:

Please, Bruce Lee was an actor, not a fighter.

There is ***NO*** advantage at all to cycling over non-cycling. None.

Until you spend a few years throwing lots of molds to cover shots (which I did early on) and a few years committed to cycling (which I have for a few years now)...

...you have ***NO*** idea what the hell you are talking about. None.

Please stop.

While both approaches have their proponents, which is valid and worthwhile, you add nothing to this conversation.

Until you spend a few years throwing lots of molds to cover shots (which I did early on) and a few years committed to cycling (which I have for a few years now)...

...you have ***NO*** idea what the hell you are talking about. None.

Please stop.

While both approaches have their proponents, which is valid and worthwhile, you add nothing to this conversation.
You have to admit though, it is rather entertaining seeing cut and dry comments posted with an end all be all kind of attitude toward the situation as if the poster is some kind of authority on the subject

To contribute to the thread:

I do a new school cycle for each slot in my bag. Champ + 3 mid + baseline. So for teebirds I have a brinster bird, 3 echo star, and a DX.

Just out of curiosity;

How many former mold cyclers do we have here?
Have any of you dropped cycling mids and gone the one disc one shot approach?

If so, how has it worked out?

Just out of curiosity here;

I'm currently not cycling mids. I used to cycle kaxes and then ghosts, but I've had trouble forehanding ghosts. I'm planning to switch to a matrix for the fresh ghost slot and since gyro doesn't cycle well I'll use a theory and alias if I like the matrix.

I'm currently not cycling mids. I used to cycle kaxes and then ghosts, but I've had trouble forehanding ghosts. I'm planning to switch to a matrix for the fresh ghost slot and since gyro doesn't cycle well I'll use a theory and alias if I like the matrix.

How long did you spend cycling those molds?

Just out of curiosity;

Excellent question. I'd be curious to know how many folks have switched one way or the other. But only people who were doing one or the other for a year or more and THEN switched. Saying "I used to cycle" but for 5 months doesn't tell me you really did.

I'm curious about this.

3-4 months on each

There is a Roc in my bag that has spent 7 years going from fresh to flippy. And I sometimes throw a 22 year old DX Ontario Roc.

Without judgment: you can't "cycle" anything for a few months.

I switched TO CYCLING. can't really comment on how it's worked out too much but I know I don't wanna go back. So there's that.