• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] DD Help!

Sonormcneal

Par Member
So I've always been interested in Dynamic Discs and have recently thought about creating a whole DD bag, but I'm not really familiar with the plastic types per say. can anyone help me out? I mainly throw Innova now so if you know the similarities to that, it would be helpful. i'm guessing Prime is more DX type, maybe pro? seems like Lucid is Champ? and Fuzion is Star? if that's the case, what's biofuzion? TIA

also, if anyone has switched to DD from Discmania or Innova, can you tell me similarities b/tw discs and what they might fly like? i know just cause something has a certain flight rating, it doesn't always throw that way

BioFuzion is similar to Echo Star. Justice=Gator, Trespass=Seasoned Destroyer, Enforcer=Xcal, Emac Truth=Roc3/MD3 there is probably more but I haven't experimented much more with DD.

Renegade is like the TD (and maybe better). Freedom is like the Daedalus (not an exact match, but in the ballpark).

Yes, Fuzion is like Star (IMHO Fuzion is better); Champion is like Lucid (I like Champion better); Fluid is supposedly like GStar, but that's not an exact match.

Prime is more DX type, maybe pro? seems like Lucid is Champ? and Fuzion is Star? if that's the case, what's biofuzion?

Prime: DX
Lucid: Softer Champ/Gummy Champ
Fuzion: Star
Biofuzion: Echostar

No real Pro comparison that I've found.

Now, if you're familiar with Innova/Discmania flight numbers, take Trilogy numbers with a grain of salt as all manufactuer's numbering systems differ. I find most Trilogy is less stable than you'd expect the same numbers to compare with Innova.

For DDs, I'd say a Trespass is a good ringer for Destroyers. A touch less stable on the whole, but a bit more glide. Also, they have the same range of stabilities that Destros have. I have a 174g Lucid that's straight meat market, and a 175g Fuzion that is very easy for my 400' of power to hyzer-flip. The Sword (Westside, but still Trillo) is a straight BOMBER! A bit understable and finicky in the wind, but daaaaaamn does that thing go! It glides for about a country mile past where you expect it to land and has enough stability to hyzer out at the end after a nice, smooth, long "S-Turn" in open fields. I threw one as my open-distance disc for a while because it was just so easy to get distance. However, it doesn't fair well in wind and can be pretty easy to turn over, so I didn't keep it bagged in the long run.

Renegade is basically a flippy Roadrunner. Not great for anything other than extreme hyzerflips, sky annys, or rollers in my experience.

The Breakout (understable) Escape (stable) and Felon (straight-to-overstable) make a great fairway combo. Solid discs.

Where I found DD shines is their mids. I haven't thrown one that I didn't like for any certain role. The Claymore is a turnover champ! Hyzerflip for dead straight shots, high and flat for long swooping turnovers, or throw a short roller for money. The Truth is a GREAT Roc clone, holding most any line, long-range mid shots with a decent hyzer finish, and super great feel in the hand. The Verdict is a shorter midrange with it's overstability, but gave me a lot more use than the brick that is the Justice. The Verdict is not quite utility overstable, but vicious enough that you can flex it through woods for a great shot-shaping disc that will always come back to a hyzer finish.

The only putter I really tried was a Judge and I did love it for a while. High glide, very straight, stable enough to resist flipping, and super consistent. However, after using Prodigy Pa1s and Reptilian Scales, I prefer something a little more stable and lower glide. The Judge is a superb disc (look at what Drew Gibson can do with it) but in the end, didn't suit my preference. I have a Warden but haven't really tried it out a lot. For a beadless putter, it seems a little deep in my hand. That's all personal preference and the thing is straight as an arrow, but I didn't dig it enough to give it a chance.

Anyway, that's my 2¢ on DD. Hope it gives a bit of insight.

I thought that the Trespass had a 21mm rim unlike the 23mm rim on the Destroyer ... isn't it more like a Wraith than a Destroyer?

So I've always been interested in Dynamic Discs and have recently thought about creating a whole DD bag, but I'm not really familiar with the plastic types per say. can anyone help me out? I mainly throw Innova now so if you know the similarities to that, it would be helpful. i'm guessing Prime is more DX type, maybe pro? seems like Lucid is Champ? and Fuzion is Star? if that's the case, what's biofuzion? TIA

also, if anyone has switched to DD from Discmania or Innova, can you tell me similarities b/tw discs and what they might fly like? i know just cause something has a certain flight rating, it doesn't always throw that way
Maybe you could tell us what discs you throw from Innova/Discmania, we could suggest a replacement or something as close to it as possible.

Also, are you only interested in Dynamic Discs, or are Lat 64 and Westside also companies you would consider? Since all three companies are manufactured together just like Innova, Millenium, and Discmania, you may be able to replace what you throw now better than if you just stick to Dynamic.

Lastly, Biofuzion is like Echostar as stated before. It is made from recycled plastic and almost always is slightly less stable than the Lucid or Fuzion versions of the same disc. Really great if you want the same mold is slightly different stability right out of the box.
I thought that the Trespass had a 21mm rim unlike the 23mm rim on the Destroyer ... isn't it more like a Wraith than a Destroyer?
Destroyer is 2.2cm according to the PDGA (obviously that should be the same as 22mm, but who knows if the original Destroyer submitted was even measured right or the same for the Wraith and Trespass for that matter), but yes to your question. However, people don't throw the Wraith as much anymore, and the Trespass is listed as a speed 12 disc, thus the Destroyer comparisons. Not that it really matters much.

I'd say Renegade is closer to a Wraith than a Trespass is...although Renegade is flippier, maybe somewhere between Wraith/Krait.

(DISClaimer: I've only thrown the Trespass in Lucid, and it was brand new, but that one was very OS. Like in the realm of Champ Xcal.)

I'd say Renegade is closer to a Wraith than a Trespass is...although Renegade is flippier, maybe somewhere between Wraith/Krait.

(DISClaimer: I've only thrown the Trespass in Lucid, and it was brand new, but that one was very OS. Like in the realm of Champ Xcal.)

Most are not that stable, but I do have one that is. It is one of the older Lucids before they started stamping the weight on the bottom. It also has a noticeably higher plh than the other five I own.

Maybe you could tell us what discs you throw from Innova/Discmania, we could suggest a replacement or something as close to it as possible.
My main ones i use are Destroyers for BH and wraith for FH. I use the Thunderbird a lot and the leopard for my fairways. I have tried any and all mids and find places for them in the bag. i currently have a King Cobra which i love and flies dead strait for me; i use a Buzzz and a BuzzzOS to complement it and then a Gator for stupid OS stuff

Also, are you only interested in Dynamic Discs, or are Lat 64 and Westside also companies you would consider? Since all three companies are manufactured together just like Innova, Millenium, and Discmania, you may be able to replace what you throw now better than if you just stick to Dynamic.
The only Trilogy disc i've ever tried was a River and i loved it for a long time, but from what i've read, they're very finicky from disc to disc. I'm not opposed to trying the other manufacturers but everyone that i've talked to that throws DD loves the fact that most of the discs , especially mids, feel the same so its not a huge adjustment. I like trying new things and have always liked the logo of DD :D and have heard good things about them so i was thinking of giving them a shot

With the Lucid vs. Fuzion don't expect as big of a difference as Star vs. Champ...so buy the color and feel you like for discs. But Biofuzion is often a bit less stable (think Echostar), and their flexible blend (Fluid) is often more overstable (whereas Gstar is usually less OS).

In general with DD I'd lean on their midranges a lot more than fairway drivers...their mids are great (Truth, Verdict) and go very far, and their fairways seem to be more tweeners/long fliers. So get the putters and mids sorted, get the distance drivers sorted, and see what fairways/control drivers you need to fit between...at least IMO.

For drivers the Trespass is kind of the Wraith/mellow Destroyer disc, it's great for most throwers. The Defender is awesome as an overstable driver that is still capable of great distance...look into this as your stable and overstable Destroyer slots. The Enforcer can be ridiculously OS. The Felon is the Firebird equivalent, although on the more workable end of Firebirds (depending on your Thunderbird maybe the Felon, or Convict might work as a similar slot...I have not thrown the Convict).

all lists are from least to most stable

Destroyerish things:
Trespass (DD)
Sword (Westside)
Defender (DD)
Giant (Westside)
Enforcer (DD)

Fairways
River is a great replacement for the Leopard.
Stag (Westside) makes a good EagleX
I always hear Saint Pro for Thunderbird, but I'm not a big fan of either one.
Felon (DD) is a great moderately OS Firebird.

Mids I would go
Truth (DD) or Claymore (Lat64)
EMac Truth (DD)
Verdict (DD) or Bard (Westside)

I dont think the Justice flies anything like a Gator. I'm not sure what to recommend there. I'd throw a Gator I think.

Let me add to this that I putt with a Classic Warden. Innova has no equivalent to Classic, Classic Blend, and Classic Soft plastics (no, KC, Yeti, and JK pro are not the same). And the Judge and Warden are IMHO better than the Aviar series of putters; some will disagree, I'm sure. The Marshal is also a good putter. Paige Pierce seems to like it a lot.

So try out some things, go to the store and hold some discs and feel the plastics. As always, it'll be fun finding out what works.

I dont think the Justice flies anything like a Gator. I'm not sure what to recommend there. I'd throw a Gator I think.

The Justice is a great disc, in my opinion. But I don't know what Innova I'd compare it to. Maybe a Commander. It's a super-overstable mid-range disc that is great as a utility disc when you need a really sharp turn, or you want to go high over a tree and then drop sharply, or you're throwing in a strong headwind. It certainly isn't a "beginner friendly" disc though.

Does innova make a boomerang? Because that's what the justice would compare to ;)

With the Lucid vs. Fuzion don't expect as big of a difference as Star vs. Champ...so buy the color and feel you like for discs. But Biofuzion is often a bit less stable (think Echostar), and their flexible blend (Fluid) is often more overstable (whereas Gstar is usually less OS).

In general with DD I'd lean on their midranges a lot more than fairway drivers...their mids are great (Truth, Verdict) and go very far, and their fairways seem to be more tweeners/long fliers. So get the putters and mids sorted, get the distance drivers sorted, and see what fairways/control drivers you need to fit between...at least IMO.

For drivers the Trespass is kind of the Wraith/mellow Destroyer disc, it's great for most throwers. The Defender is awesome as an overstable driver that is still capable of great distance...look into this as your stable and overstable Destroyer slots. The Enforcer can be ridiculously OS. The Felon is the Firebird equivalent, although on the more workable end of Firebirds (depending on your Thunderbird maybe the Felon, or Convict might work as a similar slot...I have not thrown the Convict).
Nailed the plastics portion for sure :thmbup:

The Innova thing I throw instead of a Justice is a Champ Viper / Recon MOAB. They do not feel or fly the same. What they have in common is that they're all omgwtfbbq overstable.

The overlap for me is utility flex shots that need to pan out fast and hard. Otherwise they're pretty different, and I dont know that either has a strong analog from another manufacturer.

I think I liked the Mercy a little better than the Warden for PnA clones, but I like the original best. Classic is pretty nice though.. I wish XT was Medium Classic! And also that Lunar ET was Glow Classic Medium (which not exist at all...)

Verdict is DD's best disc IMO. A little faster and more stable than a Roc3. They encroach fairway distance but power down surprisingly well. The Verdict is actually my favorite OS mid from any company.

Destroyerish things:
Trespass (DD)
Sword (Westside)
Defender (DD)
Giant (Westside)
Enforcer (DD)

Fairways
River is a great replacement for the Leopard.
Stag (Westside) makes a good EagleX
I always hear Saint Pro for Thunderbird, but I'm not a big fan of either one.
Felon (DD) is a great moderately OS Firebird.

Mids I would go
Truth (DD) or Claymore (Lat64)
EMac Truth (DD)
Verdict (DD) or Bard (Westside)

Culverin is identical to the thunderbird. I had one, lost it, bought a thunderbird, could not tell the difference. Lost the thunderbird went back to the culverin, same thing. Another good mid is the Compass.

As far as the stability goes its all over the place on the top chart for sure. My sword is definitely less stable than either of my trespasses. My defender is beefier than my Giant. Enforcer I agree with its crazy OS. The Saint can be a great fairway, starts out real straight and goes a mile. Get it in Opto though. The Biofuzion plastic is wonderful btw but its pretty soft so when it breaks in it really breaks in. But yes recycled innova plastic has similar qualities, my recycled teebird is pretty understable.

A lot of suggestions have made their way in from Lat 64 and Westside, I'm not sure if OP is interested in throwing plastic from all 3 companies with a heavy lean towards DD, or if he's trying to just use the DD lineup? If you are willing to add in discs from any of the 3 companies, then you must try the Compass, it's a fantastic midrange that can cover your Buzzz/Roc slot (beadless, stable, controllable ranging, etc.). As well for your Tern you can try a Sword or Sorcerer, and for the Rhyno there is the Harp.

FWIW I throw a completely mixed bag, but I feel like the Verdict, Compass, and likely the Defender (haven't thrown a beat one yet) are some of the top discs for those slots, and other discs like the Harp and Trespass are loved by tons of people. If you're willing to throw not only DD, then these ones are really worth checking out IMO, depending on if they are the correct fit for you.

Latest posts