• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] DD Help!

When I go throw DD heavy and don't have my Legacy or PDs I enjoy bagging;

Judge for putting and approaches. Classic, classic blend and hybrid. Hands down favorite putter and plastic blends (classic, classic blend, classic soft, hybrid, lucid, fuzion)
Glow warden for straight and straight to turn up shots.
Suspect for allot of long putter or short midrange shots. And flick ups. I throw them in lucid and classic soft for sticking landings. Love the suspect and it's solid stability and flattness.
Truth is an amazing disc and paired with the verdict it's a great one/two. I throw the classic truth for straight and turnovers and the fluid or lucid for straight to finish. Just feels better in my hand than the roc. I like the buzzz but I like the truths reliable stability just a little better.
The justice was just too much stability/utility for me. Couldn't find a use but once a round, and I could totally get by powering down a felon or trespass. The novelty was fun, but wore off.
The witness I'll throw lucid max weight for big hyzer flips or rollers. Really understable disc but great for those two shots.
Escape is one of my favorite discs being made. The feel and flight are right in my wheelhouse. I bag quite a few in various weights and plastics and various stages of wear. I have a lucid air for big slow turnovers or hyzer flips. And fluid for more stable finishes. I also bag fuzion and lucid.
And the felon boy the felon... I fell in love with this disc and I think others hit the nail on the head saying it's a more workable firebird. This disc is great for skips or spike hyzers and amazing for thinners and sidearms. The disc is stable and reliable in the wind but able to achieve distance too. It's also stable enough to not doubt in the wind. It won't turn over. Very reliable disc. First runs were fingerprinty and flaaat!
I don't really throw the renegade although I really want too? The disc feels great and has nice s turn flights. It's good for shots with lateral distance and getting height on the disc. But just isn't reliable enough or useful in the wooded courses.
Trespass I love. Great disc. I think slightly worn destroyer is a good description. Very very straight and good glide with a subtle but reliable finish. I fee they're a little flatter too. And I like that.

DD has an extremely solid lineup and great plastic offerings. Anyone would feel complete with their lineup really. So if you are going to test them out have fun and enjoy. I'm sure you'll find some discs that you'll enjoy throwing!

Last edited:
I did this exact change after falling in love with the feel and durability of trilogy plastic as well as a few of their key molds (truth, river). GL/fuzion is my favorite driver plastic while lucid/opto is my pick for mids and base for putters with a few variations here or there.

First off I would say don't go into it trying to replace individual innova discs with DD counterparts. Go in with a rebuild in mind. Its ok to use comparisons as a starting point (i.e. Emac Truth to Roc3) but if you go in wanting to build a DD bag of your innova discs it won't match.

I also would widen to trilogy as there are lat64 and westside discs that I feel are needed to round out a bag (harp, river, spark, XXX, etc).

I second starting with their midranges. Verdict/Emac Truth/Truth/Warrant is a fantastic combo that feels identical in the hand while covering almost every mid shot.

Trilogy's putter lineup is strong and should cover any shot needed or feel desired. I love the judge/pure as throwing putters and the warden as my main putter with a soft swan as a utility anhyzer putter and/or sit down and stay down disc. Also the harp is a must and is my go to approach especially for flick shots that just seek out the basket and want to be right under it.

For drivers they tend to fair more understable in the lineup save for their real meaty stuff then what you will be used to with innova. They get knocked for this but I am working toward a smooth is far kind of thrower so I prefer to perfect my form with a well shaped shot then muscle through an overstable disc.

The glide is pretty crazy with these discs. When thrown right (smooth) they defy gravity and seem to hang in the air like no other.

My longest disc is the bolt which can get squirly but if you give it that smooth anhyzer release it just seems to jump out to distance and always has a reliable late fade for me. It is easy distance in my mind.

My usual distance drivers are the Saint, Saint Pro, Flow and Escape. I can work most lines I need with these discs and they all forehand well too.

My Fairway drivers are the river and Jade. I can power these down and hyzerflip them predictably for tunnel shots with the river having a forward fade and the jade a little more dramatic fade finish.

The one area I am struggling with is the workable S fairway shot that wont run right on me if I give it too much. The one disc that I have held on to (or revisited since I lost it and had to buy a new one recently) is the Innova Eagle. That is one disc I have always loved the feel and flight of that I can't replicate. When throwing multiple fairway shots back to back though the trilogy glide is blatantly apparent over the eagle.

A lot of suggestions have made their way in from Lat 64 and Westside, I'm not sure if OP is interested in throwing plastic from all 3 companies with a heavy lean towards DD, or if he's trying to just use the DD lineup? If you are willing to add in discs from any of the 3 companies, then you must try the Compass, it's a fantastic midrange that can cover your Buzzz/Roc slot (beadless, stable, controllable ranging, etc.). As well for your Tern you can try a Sword or Sorcerer, and for the Rhyno there is the Harp.

i'm not necessarily looking either way, but the OP was more geared towards only DD, but this is helping me.:hfive:

Another great resource is Dynamic Disc's YouTube page. They have a whole series of "Is This Disc Right for You?" videos where they review and demostrate a disc thrown by a pro and an am, showing difference in flight for each. Quite a few discs have been show this way;

I was throwing mostly Prodigy, but now have a mixed bag with a lot of DD creeping in. For putters I use P2s, however, I like the Warden as I prefer beadless.

For mids, I throw a Verdict and a Prodigy M2 and M4, mainly because I have used them so long. However, the Verdict/Emac Truth/Warrant combo I can switch in and not miss a beat. The Verdict, to me, is one of the best discs made.

For fairways, I use a Felon (can't be beat for wind, skip shots, and forehands, it is my go-to flick disc). For general purpose I use an Escape or Saint Pro. Normally an Escape, which is another incredible disc. If I had only one driver it might be this. It powers down well but can still put it way out near distance drivers if I need to. If you have less than 400' of power, this disc rocks due to incredible glide.

For drivers:

1. Renegade is a disc I recently added to the bag. Great for turnover shots, downwind, and hyzer flips. I also use this if I need to throw a really straight drive, just take some off the power and slight hyzer-flip FTW.
  2. Trespass is a great driver as many have said, like a beat Destroyer. A must for a DD player. I use Lucid in the 167-170 range as go-to.
  3. Defender I've tried to like, but I am not a big fan of wide rims and this one is on the large side to me. It does fill a nice slot between the Enforcer and Trespass though ... although I personally prefer a bio-fusion Enforcer there. Many people love it...
  4. Enforcer is one of, if not the best, wind-fighting discs there is. I have a Fluid one that is so OS it doesn't even get used unless the wind is howling. In Texas, sometimes dealing with 20-30+ mph winds is necessary, and this disc is a must for that. I usually carry a Lucid, which is still super beefy, and a bio-fusion which is a OS driver that is still usable for normal arms.

Reniger's point about the videos is great, that is where I started!

Slow and Reinger summed up very nicely.
I will echo the part about flight numbers and stability. I personally really like the Lucid plastic feel more than champ or star.

The river is the first trilogy disc I tried and fell in love with it. Since then i've been building more and more trilogy into my bag. Besides my Wizards which a lot of people prefer Judges or Pures but I don't feel like switching, and my Envy/Proxy combo the only disc I haven't been able to replace is my Teebirds. Some are saying the River Pro is going to be Teebird like but we will just have to see, as has been stated Trilogy stuff in general tends to be a tad less stable than advertised.

If you need a fairway that can drive long the Escape is money. Mine flies straight with a bit of fade at the very end. It is fairly fresh 2 weeks old. A Westside Hatchet flies like a beat Roadrunner at my armspeed. (right at 300' with a bit of wiggle on the flight)

Atison's advice on not going whole hog on one manufacturer is good advice imo. I tried to go all Trilogy for novelty's sake and it hurt my game until I put my Teebird, Aviar, and Viper back in the bag.

There are certain awesome, unique, or best in class molds that I think people should at least try from almost every manufacturer. For Trilogy I would say the Pure, EMac Truth, and Harp are those molds. They make tons of great discs, but those are best in class for a lot of folks I think. For Innova, imo, thats Aviar, Teebird, Destroyer.

For me, the reason I throw as much Trilogy as I do is because of the plastic. If I can find a comparable mold in Opto, or even better, Frost, that's my first choice over Champ, or Z, or Proton, etc.

would anyone say that the Escape flies somewhere b/tw a TeeBird or Thunderbird? or maybe the Convict?

Never thrown a Convict, but it should be closer to Teebird/Thunderbird. I have and do throw the Escape, and it starts off less stable than any Thunderbird I have thrown (I actually pair the Thunderbird and Escape in my full bag). Not a ton of difference, but enough to notice. To me, the Escape falls between the Thunderbird and Valkyrie.

would anyone say that the Escape flies somewhere b/tw a TeeBird or Thunderbird? or maybe the Convict?

I have 7 Escapes in four plastics and none of them are as stable as my Thunderbirds. For the most part, I would say in general, an Escape flies more like a new DX Teebird, but longer.

From my experience, Fluid is the most stable and Bio the least. My Bio was a hyzer-flip off the shelf, flew more like a longer Leopard. The Fuzions have been nice.

I suggest based on what you said you throw:
Destroyer=Trespass
Wraith=Boatman/Riot
Thunderbird= Convict/Culverin
Leopard= Seer/River
Gator=Justice
Buzzz OS= Verdict
King Cobra= ?
Buzzz = Emac Truth/Original Truth
Whatever putter that feels the most comfortable in the hand.

I suggest based on what you said you throw:
Destroyer=Trespass
Wraith=Boatman/Riot
Thunderbird= Convict/Culverin
Leopard= Seer/River
Gator=Justice
Buzzz OS= Verdict
King Cobra= ?
Buzzz = Emac Truth/Original Truth
Whatever putter that feels the most comfortable in the hand.

King Cobra = Core.

does anyone know what the new Sheriff is like? like where its at in the stability of DD and if anyone knows if it files similar to any Innova/Discmania discs?

so i'm thinking of starting with all DD for now. I'm planning on doing about 10 discs and want to cover most of my shots in these 10 and then maybe replace what doesn't work with other trilogy discs or fill the empty slots with trilogy. These are my thoughts. Please let me know if there's too much overlap somewhere or if i might benefit from a different line of thought on these:

long range:
Enforcer-OS
trespass-main Driver
renegade-US/FH

control/Fairway:
felon-OS
convict-main
thief-straight/US

mids:
verdict-OS
Emac Truth- straight
Truth-US

putter: Judge

That looks pretty good to me. My only suggestions are dependent on what you consider US.

I haven't thrown the normal Truth much, but I don't know that I would call it US. I use a Warrant in that slot, and the Evidence is another great disc that I believe is in between the Warrant and the Truth stability-wise. Likewise, you might consider Breakout instead of Thief.

The Truth has a slight turn, kind of like the s-line FD. It's actually stamped -1/1 now, which I think is accurate. I don't got a big arm, so if you got a lot of punch then it might act understable

That looks pretty good.

You could throw a Freedom instead of the Renegade in the understable driver spot. Depends on what you're looking for. the Freedom is much wider rimmed and more stable, but its a pretty nice tail wind driver.