• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] DD3

I have a red, 172g, not too domey, not too overstable (although still my Echo & 169g beat OG S-lines are the longest ones), whats not to like? A little more armspeed and this thing would be a rocket.

Anyone throwing the new DD3s or Cloudbreakers? How do they compare to destroyers, rives, wraiths?

Anyone throwing the new DD3s or Cloudbreakers? How do they compare to destroyers, rives, wraiths?

I have a few new c-line DD3s, two Cloudbreaker 3s and three new Cloudbreakers. I haven't thrown a long Halo wraiths, but they're all more stable than a stable star wraith. I'd put the Cloudbreaker 3 as the most stable, new Cloudbreaker slightly less overstable and the DD3s just a bit less overstable again. But - I've also thrown the DD3s much more often, so the Ccloudbreakers are pretty fresh.

I like slight anhyzer and they will stay straight, maybe a bit of turn drift, lotsa stability. I can throw them as far as any disc, but that's only 375' maybe. If you an throw 450 then they're all workable!

If anyone has a Royal Grand Rive and the new Cloudbreaker that was released this week, please provide a comparison.

I have read/heard multiple comments saying the plastic feels the same, and the specs are almost exactly the same per the PDGA website's Technical Standards for Approved Discs, only difference is Rim Configuration, and I am not sure what that refers to.

Very interested in a comparison as well.

Would also like to hear that. I like the rim size of the Rive and new DD3s being a little smaller than a destroyer. Looking at my rive and CB3. the blue CB3 def has a lower PLH than the rive whereas the pink CB3 has a slightly higher PLH than the rive.

Would love to hear more input on the different runs of discmania manufactured DD3s

Agree with seedlings in that the CB3 plastic is more gold line-esque than royal. Looking at the CB3 and Rive side by side the seem pretty close to identical mold wise.

Would also like to hear that. I like the rim size of the Rive and new DD3s being a little smaller than a destroyer. Looking at my rive and CB3. the blue CB3 def has a lower PLH than the rive whereas the pink CB3 has a slightly higher PLH than the rive.

Would love to hear more input on the different runs of discmania manufactured DD3s

The new runs feel more like a proper star plastic just a little softer overall but not gummy by any means. Nice grip too.

Swedish DD3

Finally tried one of these. 173g. Clear, Lucid type plastic. Very shiny and smooth. Good looking disc.

Obviously, I wanted to see how this new DD3 flew compared to the older, Innova-produced ones. First off, the Swedish DD3 is fairly flat, flatter than any Innova DD3 I've seen.

As such, the disc flies pretty overstable. Most throws had no turn, but a few really hard ones would wiggle right a tiny bit. This is a driver for professional level arms for sure.

Glide was a bit lacking, and I think that has to do with the flatness of the disc. Fade came fairly early, and it was abrupt.

Overall, the Swedish DD3 didn't do badly, but I feel like it was shorter, beefier, and had less glide than the older Innova DD3s. I don't know how the new plastic will break in over time, but right now the disc is definitely overstable. I just wish it had more dome and more glide.

Swedish DD3: 12, 4, -0.5, 3. This disc must be thrown HARD to generate any big distance. The lack of glide and heavy fade are noticeable. Overall I'd have to say I like the Innova DD3s better so far. Top distance was probably right at 400'. A little more glide and less late fade would add 40' to that easily.

Finally tried one of these. 173g. Clear, Lucid type plastic. Very shiny and smooth. Good looking disc.

Obviously, I wanted to see how this new DD3 flew compared to the older, Innova-produced ones. First off, the Swedish DD3 is fairly flat, flatter than any Innova DD3 I've seen.

As such, the disc flies pretty overstable. Most throws had no turn, but a few really hard ones would wiggle right a tiny bit. This is a driver for professional level arms for sure.

Glide was a bit lacking, and I think that has to do with the flatness of the disc. Fade came fairly early, and it was abrupt.

Overall, the Swedish DD3 didn't do badly, but I feel like it was shorter, beefier, and had less glide than the older Innova DD3s. I don't know how the new plastic will break in over time, but right now the disc is definitely overstable. I just wish it had more dome and more glide.

Swedish DD3: 12, 4, -0.5, 3. This disc must be thrown HARD to generate any big distance. The lack of glide and heavy fade are noticeable. Overall I'd have to say I like the Innova DD3s better so far. Top distance was probably right at 400'. A little more glide and less late fade would add 40' to that easily.

Ive run into 3 variations of the new c-line DD3... Flat/OS less glide, Soft Dome / more turn, Stiff Dome / more os.

If anyone has a Royal Grand Rive and the new Cloudbreaker that was released this week, please provide a comparison.

I have read/heard multiple comments saying the plastic feels the same, and the specs are almost exactly the same per the PDGA website's Technical Standards for Approved Discs, only difference is Rim Configuration, and I am not sure what that refers to.

I was a big Rive thrower since the Rive dropped. The plastics are VERY similar, though I think the Cloudbreaker Special Blend S-Line is a bit softer. Cloudbreaker seems to be breaking in much faster than my Rives, which I kind of enjoy, but I have a big gash in my Cloudbreaker already, where I barely noticed damage on my Rives (same goes for the Graces I used to throw)

The Cloudbreaker feels deeper in the rim than the Rive, maybe due to the CB having more of a sloping shoulder. The nose of the CB is definitely lower than on the Rive

I find that the CB has more glide and more of a bitting fade (low speed stability). Rives flew much straighter for me with a softer fade.. Kind of flew like a longer Teebird or PD. Where the Cloudbreaker stays in the air longer, but has more low speed stability. I definitely notice the high speed turn more on the CB.

Numbers for both based on my arm speed: Rive - 12/4.5/-.5/2 Cloudbreaker - 12/6/-1/3

Ultimately, I get more distance out of the CB than the Rive. I prefer the CB more for my backhand, and the Rive on forehand.

I just received my two new Cloudbreakers today. One is a "stock" run and the other was professionally dyed.

I am baffled by which one was the fluke and or if the dyed one was altered by the dyeing process.

For reference, they are currently battling for a spot against my Star/Halo Star Destroyers. My average open field distance is 380-430 for reference.

The orange "stock" was a touch more hss and lss than the Destroyers but otherwise nearly an identical line. The only difference was that this Cloudbreaker was consistently 5-10 feet further.

The dyed, which feels identical in the hand, almost instantly flips and will not fight out of it before it runs itself into the ground. I usually get about 270-280 before it burns out. So, it requires a touch of hyzer release to get it flat. Then, it might track right but has a fighting chance to catch up with the other discs. On ideal throws, it can match the other Cloudbreaker in distance, which is still further than the Destroyers I was throwing in comparison. For reference, I have a Halo Shryke that has more HSS than this disc, so I am not sure I have a place in the bag for this one.

On the final throws of the evening, there was a noticeable but not aggressive crossing right to left headwind. Anything that flexes (rhbh) was being knocked down quicker and earlier than normal. Most of the Destroyer throws were topping out at 385 because of the wind. The dyed CB finished farther to the right and only made 360. The orange CB was the best for being on target with the basket and topped out at 406 feet.

I clearly want most Cloudbreakers to be like this orange one (so I immediately ordered another) because I need to have 2-3 discs of everything I throw. That way I can practice, rotate so I can slow the seasoning of the discs, and just have back-ups that are ready to go. I play in Minnesota 365, so there are plenty of ways to lose discs.

I was perfectly content with the five Star/ Halo Star Destroyers I was rotating, but the other day I found a Cloudbreaker 3. I always wanted to give it a try. So, when I did, for whatever reason I thought it was going to be understable and threw it as such. I learned quickly that was not the case. Then I threw it like my Destroyers; first throw - same flight, easier to hit the line, five more feet. The problem, this was an ugly matte charcoal. It will take almost no effort to lose this disc. I have been playing for 17 years - I am a disc snob and want to throw pretty discs. Hence jumping on the dyed Cloudbreaker. A dyed CB3 was well outside what I am willing to pay, but this one dyed new Cloudbreaker - I was willing to take the risk.

That is where I leave this post - does the understable Cloudbreaker represent most of this run? If so, I am having a little buyer's remorse. If they are more like the stock orange I also got, I feel better because I am willing to buy more of those.

I just received my two new Cloudbreakers today. One is a "stock" run and the other was professionally dyed.

I am baffled by which one was the fluke and or if the dyed one was altered by the dyeing process.

For reference, they are currently battling for a spot against my Star/Halo Star Destroyers. My average open field distance is 380-430 for reference.

The orange "stock" was a touch more hss and lss than the Destroyers but otherwise nearly an identical line. The only difference was that this Cloudbreaker was consistently 5-10 feet further.

The dyed, which feels identical in the hand, almost instantly flips and will not fight out of it before it runs itself into the ground. I usually get about 270-280 before it burns out. So, it requires a touch of hyzer release to get it flat. Then, it might track right but has a fighting chance to catch up with the other discs. On ideal throws, it can match the other Cloudbreaker in distance, which is still further than the Destroyers I was throwing in comparison. For reference, I have a Halo Shryke that has more HSS than this disc, so I am not sure I have a place in the bag for this one.

On the final throws of the evening, there was a noticeable but not aggressive crossing right to left headwind. Anything that flexes (rhbh) was being knocked down quicker and earlier than normal. Most of the Destroyer throws were topping out at 385 because of the wind. The dyed CB finished farther to the right and only made 360. The orange CB was the best for being on target with the basket and topped out at 406 feet.

I clearly want most Cloudbreakers to be like this orange one (so I immediately ordered another) because I need to have 2-3 discs of everything I throw. That way I can practice, rotate so I can slow the seasoning of the discs, and just have back-ups that are ready to go. I play in Minnesota 365, so there are plenty of ways to lose discs.

I was perfectly content with the five Star/ Halo Star Destroyers I was rotating, but the other day I found a Cloudbreaker 3. I always wanted to give it a try. So, when I did, for whatever reason I thought it was going to be understable and threw it as such. I learned quickly that was not the case. Then I threw it like my Destroyers; first throw - same flight, easier to hit the line, five more feet. The problem, this was an ugly matte charcoal. It will take almost no effort to lose this disc. I have been playing for 17 years - I am a disc snob and want to throw pretty discs. Hence jumping on the dyed Cloudbreaker. A dyed CB3 was well outside what I am willing to pay, but this one dyed new Cloudbreaker - I was willing to take the risk.

That is where I leave this post - does the understable Cloudbreaker represent most of this run? If so, I am having a little buyer's remorse. If they are more like the stock orange I also got, I feel better because I am willing to buy more of those.

"Should" be something like this, but this is also a smash

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChXoXcnpUos/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

If you have no use for the flippy one, message me and I'll buy it from you or trade for another stable Cloudbreaker that has been thrown in the field. I have a Blue and a dark Grey Cloudbreaker as spares.

I think your dyed Cloudbreaker was just a total fluke, and I doubt the flight of the disc was affected by the dyeing process.

I've thrown probably 10-12 DD3s. Most of them are S line, but I've also dabbled with a couple recent C lines as well as an OG Cloudbreaker and a Cloudbreaker 2. I've found the DD3 to be pretty consistent in terms of flight, and none of them have been flippy. The OG Cloudbreaker I have is flat, and pretty beefy/glideless.

The DD3 is overall a very good mold. I don't have any complaints about it. Pretty damn consistent from disc to disc.

I have two Cloudbreaker 3 and three newer Cloudbreakers. The Cloudbreaker 3 are both a tick more stable than the Cloudbreakers off the shelf. One Cloudbreaker I have used as much as possible and thrown it into the chains several rounds, and it goes basically straight now. I can throw 400' with ideal conditions, but more like 360-380'.

With a weeny arm, how I can tell is with turnover/flex lines. The Cloudbreaker3 will not hold turn as long and will fight out into fade. Cloudbreakers will hold turn and flatten out straight. This is off the shelf, not beat up.

I think your dyed Cloudbreaker was just a total fluke, and I doubt the flight of the disc was affected by the dyeing process.

I've thrown probably 10-12 DD3s. Most of them are S line, but I've also dabbled with a couple recent C lines as well as an OG Cloudbreaker and a Cloudbreaker 2. I've found the DD3 to be pretty consistent in terms of flight, and none of them have been flippy. The OG Cloudbreaker I have is flat, and pretty beefy/glideless.

The DD3 is overall a very good mold. I don't have any complaints about it. Pretty damn consistent from disc to disc.

I got some more reps in with it again today.

There is no mistaking how completely different their stabilities are.

I attain my 380-425 by flat to slight anhyzer release. I am not good at hyzerflipping for distance - I end up throwing more up than forward, if that makes sense. I can hyzerflip fairway drivers to hit lines, but trying to get max power out of the wrist for distance is not a consistent skill for me. So, I throw flat to slight anhyzer. I cannot do that with this flippy Cloudbreaker.

I did mash one good hyzerflip, and it out-performed all but the other Cloudbreaker. Otherwise, every throw I am becoming more and more impressed with the CB that has the stability I was expecting.

This is where my buyer's remorse comes in. The stock one I paid 30 dollars for. I would gladly do it again as long as it is a nice-looking disc - as there are certain colors I completely detest. The remorse comes from paying 60 dollars for the dyed disc. The person did a great job, but the disc is all but unthrowable to me for the role I want it for. Do I keep it and try to find a role for it? Can I find someone to buy it for at least 45? Someone willing to trade two stock CBs to me? I do not know.

52461647364_07921fc7d6_z.jpg

The top are the two Cloudbreakers. The bottow are the two Destroyers they are being semi-retired if I like the Cloudbreakers. I carry at least two in the bag for rotation and back-up. If the orange one is the stability I like, eventually I want one, if not two, dyed CBs in the bag. I am not ashamed to admit that I want everything in my bag to be unique.

Last edited:

I attain my 380-425 by flat to slight anhyzer release. I am not good at hyzerflipping for distance - I end up throwing more up than forward, if that makes sense. I can hyzerflip fairway drivers to hit lines, but trying to get max power out of the wrist for distance is not a consistent skill for me. So, I throw flat to slight anhyzer. I cannot do that with this flippy Cloudbreaker.

I did mash one good hyzerflip, and it out-performed all but the other Cloudbreaker. Otherwise, every throw I am becoming more and more impressed with the CB that has the stability I was expecting.

This is where my buyer's remorse comes in. The stock one I paid 30 dollars for. I would gladly do it again as long as it is a nice-looking disc - as there are certain colors I completely detest. The remorse comes from paying 60 dollars for the dyed disc. The person did a great job, but the disc is all but unthrowable to me for the role I want it for. Do I keep it and try to find a role for it? Can I find someone to buy it for at least 45? Someone willing to trade two stock CBs to me? I do not know.

The top are the two Cloudbreakers. The bottow are the two Destroyers they are being semi-retired if I like the Cloudbreakers. I carry at least two in the bag for rotation and back-up. If the orange one is the stability I like, eventually I want one, if not two, dyed CBs in the bag. I am not ashamed to admit that I want everything in my bag to be unique.

I will buy it for $45. Sent you a PM.

I throw about the same distance as you, perhaps a tad further. I also prefer throwing flat to slightly anny for max distance. I can hyzerflip understable discs just fine, but it's inconsistent. Sometimes the disc will flip too much, other times too little.

I wouldn't totally give up on Destroyers. There are so many different varieties of Destroyers that you can find something to suit your needs. The newer Sockibot and 2X Wysocki signature ones are actually pretty good.

Honestly, the best DD3s I've thrown have all been older S lines with the regular stamp. These discs are made by Innova, not the newer ones made in Sweden.

I throw about the same distance as you, perhaps a tad further. I also prefer throwing flat to slightly anny for max distance. I can hyzerflip understable discs just fine, but it's inconsistent. Sometimes the disc will flip too much, other times too little.

I wouldn't totally give up on Destroyers. There are so many different varieties of Destroyers that you can find something to suit your needs. The newer Sockibot and 2X Wysocki signature ones are actually pretty good.

Honestly, the best DD3s I've thrown have all been older S lines with the regular stamp. These discs are made by Innova, not the newer ones made in Sweden.

Despite playing for 17 years, I find I am susceptible to trying something new that can always get me 5 more feet. I guess that is the reason I give myself to still feel the desire to get out and play every day - that I am still trying out new discs and want to see what they can do once they are seasoned in.

I have three Destroyers that I definitely will not part with even if they are "retired" for now. I can always go back. But I really like that orange Cloudbreaker