• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

So I picked up a wiggins destroyer hoping it would have the nuts to stand up to wind and 450'+ power and still keep from flipping over but I have not been impressed. What is my best bet as far as buying an OS destroyer sight unseen?

In my experience, an AJ Destroyer or a Glow Destroyer. I'm willing to bet that the Metal Flake Destroyers out there are pretty stable too. Either way, understanding the PLH of each would help get you what you want. But unseen? Probably AJ Destroyer.

Also forgot to mention I would like to stick to star plastic and close to stock prices!

So I picked up a wiggins destroyer hoping it would have the nuts to stand up to wind and 450'+ power and still keep from flipping over but I have not been impressed. What is my best bet as far as buying an OS destroyer sight unseen?

The DX Text bottom stamped star destroyers are pretty beefy. My buddy had one and it was one of the most Overstable Destroyers we had ever thrown. It was a meat hook

His was one of the first runs of the bottom stamp, dont know if the current runs are the same beef

I've been around that range but for control a regular star destroyer does just fine on not windy days since you're not going for max d. You want something like a bottom stamp or a pd2, which you already have bagged.

Pick up a Millenium Sirius Scorpius.

It's basically an OS Destroyer.

In my experience, an AJ Destroyer or a Glow Destroyer. I'm willing to bet that the Metal Flake Destroyers out there are pretty stable too. Either way, understanding the PLH of each would help get you what you want. But unseen? Probably AJ Destroyer.

Depends on the run. There are lots of flippy AJ Destroyers out there. Metal flake Destroyers start out pretty decent but beat in pretty fast.

The DX Text bottom stamped star destroyers are pretty beefy. My buddy had one and it was one of the most Overstable Destroyers we had ever thrown. It was a meat hook

His was one of the first runs of the bottom stamp, dont know if the current runs are the same beef

That was the case with the late 2012/early 2013 run. The regular AJ Destroyers from that era are also super overstable. Think 12 speed FAF Firebird. The neon yellow Destroyer McBeth has been cranking on all year is from that run. They're getting harder to find now though because there have been 2 additional runs made since then.

The most current runs are plenty stable, but I wouldn't call them overstable. Honestly, sight unseen you probably are going to have to gamble or shell out $$ for the starlite SDS/*DS pop tops from around 2009-2010 in the 167-170g range. I would at the very least ask for a profile shot - those really overstable ones are easy to spot with a profile picture.

any pd2 topped destroyer will be cheap because those were a fairly recent run and they are all pretty beefy

i think the S DS pre avery destroyers were the beefiest. definitely more than the *D ones.

i think the S DS pre avery destroyers were the beefiest. definitely more than the *D ones.

The pop top S DS pre-averys in the 160s (as well as some *DS that were from the same run - you can tell them apart by how *DS is written) are awesome wind fighters but I'd say they are 2nd most overstable. The most overstable is the run from late 2011 into early 2012 that flew like FAF Firebirds. They are so overstable when new that they're almost useless to most people. You have to beat them in just to get them to fly over 400.

That being said, the pop top 160s S DS/*DS that you're talking about are probably the best overstable Destroyers. Mostly because they could handle winds (I've played in tourneys with gusts to 45mph and they were fine), but they still had enough glide to fly a long ways. I have on in my bag that is pretty trashed and is the straightest Destroyer I have. It started out pretty overstable but it's so beat now that I can flip it up from a hyzer and it doesn't really turn much and has a gentle fade. If you force it over it will hold the turn to the ground. Definitely the least side-to-side play out of any of my other Destroyers. Took forever to get to that point though.

Here's the image I've been sending to people to compare the recent Destroyer runs. Hopefully this will help you picking them apart (note that my post above incorrectly stated that super overstable Destroyers were produced sometime from late '11 until early '12 - I noticed my mistake after my edit time window expired):

FNlhsTQ.png

The white one on the left from the '13-14 run is the closest in stability/flight to the old pop top SDS Destroyers. Most have a bit more high speed turn that the SDS but they are still plenty stable and go pretty far.

Also keep in mind that all of these runs came in regular stock stamp AJ variants and bottom stamps. Most of the Firebird-like runs were stamped with the two-line AJ signature with the J's not overlapping, the stamp was changed to a 3-line stamp with overlapping J's in 2013, and was further modified half way through that run (the Avery signature was made smaller). All of these were also made with bottom stamps. Innova transitioned from the old bottom stamp to the DX font bottom stamp in 2012 around the same time as the Firebird-like Destroyers came out, which is why a lot of people associate that bottom stamp with extremely overstable Destroyers. The two runs that followed also had bottom stamps (I have a couple bottom stamps from the '13-14 run), so you can't assume that your newer bottom stamp will fly extremely overstable.

Last edited:
Or, instead of searching around for that special OS Destroyer, you can just get a Sirius Scorpius like I said.

It's a modified Destroyer. 0 turn.

They feel the same in the hand.

Or, instead of searching around for that special OS Destroyer, you can just get a Sirius Scorpius like I said.

It's a modified Destroyer. 0 turn.

They feel the same in the hand.

This^

I liked the Destroyer for its long holding pattern and turning drift that always fades back and when i tried the scorpius it did not have the long hold like a normal destroyer, more like a beefy s/ds.. but if thats what you want, then its perfect.

If I ever run through my backups of OS Destroyers I'll give the Scorpius a try. I've been meaning to throw one but nobody around here has one I can try. Can someone post a side by side profile shot? Preferably with one of the newer Destroyers?

Anyone thumb thru the Christmas stamp Destros? How did they come out PLH/ dome wise?

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this...But did anyone get pink Destroyers this year that faded? I bought a nice big stack last spring and one of them has been my main driver this year while the rest of them sat in a box. The fading was so subtle it took me forever notice. However, now it's blatantly obvious - the two discs below were twins this past spring:

RHDigpK.png

I've seen dyed discs lose color over time, but never a solid color one. That is strange. I almost wonder if that disc got a lot of sun. Only explanation I can think of to fade that significantly.

I have one of those pinks, and my story is pretty similar to you. The color is definately faded.
Mine is one of those "Stable boomers" as the pic shows.
I was throwing those "straight wing" ones that are less stable and was like meh but still kept them in my bag. This spring I bought couple of those boomers and these things are magic. Nice and overstable (for ref. my D's go 400') new, but when they beat in, they have so much glide while still not showing any turn, much more than my other runs. Now i can see the term "good destroyer". I just can't wait for one to turn over for me!

I've seen dyed discs lose color over time, but never a solid color one. That is strange. I almost wonder if that disc got a lot of sun. Only explanation I can think of to fade that significantly.

Not any more sun than my other discs. I've played with it all season but it has always been in my bag. All the sun it saw was from just laying in the fairways after being thrown. I remember Prodigy had a particular run of proto M3s that didn't have UV protection that faded super quick. Maybe this is a similar story.

I have one of those pinks, and my story is pretty similar to you. The color is definately faded.
Mine is one of those "Stable boomers" as the pic shows.
I was throwing those "straight wing" ones that are less stable and was like meh but still kept them in my bag. This spring I bought couple of those boomers and these things are magic. Nice and overstable (for ref. my D's go 400') new, but when they beat in, they have so much glide while still not showing any turn, much more than my other runs. Now i can see the term "good destroyer". I just can't wait for one to turn over for me!

Yes, this run is awesome and I stocked up on it. The pinks/whites/blues all fly very similar and beat in similar. Purples are flippy. The dayglo green ones were most high speed stable and are excellent wind fighters. I wish I ordered more of those. I have highlighter yellow, regular yellow, oranges, and reds that I have not thrown yet.