• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

The below course description should bring crowds of people;)
"Scenic course in a neighborhood setting, almost entirely wide open with no intersecting fairways. "

oh my friend, there were two concrete pads there for years. Then the neighbors next to the course got so fed up with the shanked discs that went into their yards, and people going into their yards without permission that hole #6 was totally pulled for a while. They even worked the tee pads being taken out.

Well, now the basket is back, but replacing those pads will be a chore. I think they are waiting to be sure they never have to pull it on account of people invading neighbors over a $15 piece of plastic that was the player's fault to get there. I heard one guy even climbed on one of the house's roof to get his plastic. Sheeesh!

Oh, well people are generally dumb. Why throw a hole if you have a chance of throwing it in the backyard, it's a 21 hole course, just skip it haha. Only play it if you can control your drives x_x Not having a teepad on that hole bothers me, I don't want to roll my ankle on those rocks.

The below course description should bring crowds of people;)
"Scenic course in a neighborhood setting, almost entirely wide open with no intersecting fairways. "

Yeah, but there is water that snakes throughout the course, and comes into play on about half the holes.

Yeah, but there is water that snakes throughout the course, and comes into play on about half the holes.

The waterway is shallow and clear with a steep bank, making disc retrieval a snap with a golden retriever only. You WILL need a retriever.

Greenbelt 2012
4-10 are different. The creek is rerouted and has rocks. Looks like the land will be less prone to low muddy areas also. We have a sidewalk/creek crossing near 4s basket. Sidewalks come into play on most of the new holes, playing sidewalk and beyond OB will give these holes some teeth, though it is not marked on the tee signs, I think that is the best way to play, also the safest with other park users. Lots of trees gone and shade will be even harder to come by in the summer (I hope they plan on planting some trees, but I have no idea).

My initial impression isn't too good, I'm going to give it some time to let the grass recover before my final judgment.

4. Not a fan. 200' over low trees and a creek with sidewalk behind the basket. Thumber is probably the best shot.

5. Not a fan, uses the same tee box off the hill but is now a 300' shot with water in play if you go long. This used to be a fun shot to air out a big drive.

6. Probably the best of the new holes. plays about 330' cuts off the big hyzer

7. I don't understand this one. Tee off under Frankfort in an area that looks to be prone to being under water. Has a unneeded mando on a pylon that screws a lefty and takes the harder turnover shot out of play. Just a short forced hyzer.

8. meh, this will be tricky, 200' with the basket on a small strip of land creek in front, sidewalk behind. Probably could use a drop zone for ob tee shots else it is an ace run then take the easy circle 3. When the grass grows in it will play better giving a disc a chance of stopping on the thin strip. It would also be nice to have a 6" curb/wall in front of the sidewalk so that a disc on the ground wouldn't slide out.

9. I need to play this one again to figure it out. 420' creek left sidewalk right. Smart play is a layup off the tee leaving a routine under 200' upshot. To go for a two, you need to hit a narrow gap off to the right then hyzer way back safe. I would have liked an easier tee shot to tempt people to go for the two, it would still be difficult to land between the creek and sidewalk.

10. no better or worse than the old hole. Short forehand or BH turnover with OB punishing any bad shot.

The tee signs are nice, would have liked to see sidewalk OB on them. Not a lot could be done with the land so I don't fault the designers.

Raul posted to a facebook page:

The Colony (Bill Allen) tee boxes 1,2,3,10,15,16,17,18 concrete poured n ready to play

Hey, has anyone heard any rumors about the old Z Boaz municipal golf course? Someone at work had heard that the plans were currently for part of it to be a dog park, and part a DG course. I'm sure it's hearsay, but I wanted to check :) Figure it's just a misunderstanding due to the Z Boaz name

I recall someone saying they had a good chance to get another DG course put in on the land that was the ball golf course, so I wouldn't count it out.

I'm going to be in Austin from the 19th to the 22nd. I was wondering what courses I should go play? Based on the reviews i'm going to goto Roy G, Circle C, Met Center and Austin Ridge Bible Church. Are there any others that are worth going to down there?

Williamson County Park (Wilco) is on the north side of town but is a solid course. East Metro Park in Manor is just East of Austin but is one of my favorites in the area. I would consider Manor a must-play along with Roy G. and Circle C.

yeah, Manor is the other good course I would try and play. I haven't played Met or Austin Ridge.

Wilco is great, One of the best dead-flat courses I've played. Not sure how much it has changed after the dead tree removal and reopening.

Circle C is a great course...it's the only Austin one I've played. Not sure that there's a DFW course I like more

i think i need to take a camping trip down to austin and play some of the courses i have heard they are all mostly great and a few a must play

I've been reluctant to play the McKinney courses for awhile, and I think I just figured out why. Every time I play there it seems I lose some discs in the creek, and not because I can't see them. It's because by the time I get my retriever out of the car and come back, or by the time I get around to the other side of the creek, or by the time I come back after the tournament round, some local has taken my disc. And no one has ever called the number. I'm told there is a local smoke shop where the kids take the discs and sell them, but I don't know where it is, and I can't see driving an hour and 15 minutes to check it regularly to see if my discs show up. Last tournament I played there, a bunch of us sat around afterwards moping over the lost discs. One player from Austin lost some 4 and 5x ce plastic, iirc. So until TDs start getting volunteers to stand in the creek during rounds at certain locations and immediately retrieve discs for players during tournaments, I doubt that I will be back there. I'd be surprised if I'm the only one who feels that way, but you never know.

Last edited:
Jen,
I think of locals as club members and people who play the weekly minis. I don't believe the "locals" are creeking and selling marked discs, especially during tournaments. Efforts have been made to keep kids from grabbing discs but...

You should probably carry a golden retriever in your bag in McKinney, go straight to the lost disc after the round. I'd also recommend a "water disc" that you can loose on holes that you find problematic. I typically have an extra mid in my bag that I don't care too much about.

The smoke shop is on the NE corner 75 & 380 off service road. 380 is on the North end of town. Less than 10 minutes from either course. but no, you shouldn't have to check this place for your discs.

...and if someone can't keep his disc out of that creek, he has no business throwing expensive ce plastic.

I agree it isn't right that people essentially steal discs before the owners even get a chance to get them, but this isn't a McKinney problem, it is a disc golf problem. Years ago I had a friend pull my disc out of the creek at a Carrollton Open and toss it in the lost and found. He told me and when I went to collect it, it was gone. It hadn't even been 10 minutes.

Is it just me, or is anybody out there worried/concerned/apprehensive about tournament over-saturation in our area? Any thought that this could be actually hurting the sport overall?

Is it just me, or is anybody out there worried/concerned/apprehensive about tournament over-saturation in our area? Any thought that this could be actually hurting the sport overall?

It's a far cry from last year. The calendar was basically empty for fall/winter last year until the last minute.

Every tournament used to fill more or less automatically, and now we are seeing lower turnouts at most tournaments. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

But I don't think it is hurting disc golf.

Latest posts