• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG DIY hacks

Not really a "DIY" hack but hack nontheless for our cheap disc golfers.

If you collect enough spare change, go to a Coinstar that has the option for an Amazon gift card (some dont so keep an eye out). There wont be a fee like you would for a cash receipt and you can input the code into Amazon and get some disc golf stuff.
Although Its usually a gamble whether or not youll get it exactly the color and weight you want, you can try out new molds you've been thinking about but havent pulled the trigger on without feeling like its coming out of your budget. Or you can buy some other gear like minis or disc retrievers.
Ive actually saved up to nearly $100 in change and bought a UPD Rebel bag and took a big chunk off of what I was going to pay otherwise!

Alcohol wipes. Come in handy for wiping off fingers and disc when they hit poison ivy.

I carried a lacrosse ball and a beefy tape measure for treed disc for a couple of seasons, never used either. There have always been sticks and rocks available for throwing.

I carried a lacrosse ball and a beefy tape measure for treed disc for a couple of seasons, never used either. There have always been sticks and rocks available for throwing.

Not always...I got my AJ Destroyer stuck in a tree on a converted golf course DG course. Had to drive a mile down the road and bring back a dozen rocks. After 20 minutes and like 6 disc hits it came down. My arm was sore for 2 days from underhanding rocks 20' up. I know, cool story bro :|

Sanding blocks like these for fixing up discs after nicks. I saw it in one of Sexton's in the bags. https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-4-87...um-Grit-Drywall-Sanding-Sponge-9095/100321145

DIY score keeper for over/under par similar to this idea below. So I can keep score without being on my phone, or thinking about it...which makes me play worse.

Golf-Bead-Score-Counter-Nylon-Braid-Stroke-Counter-With-Plastic-Golf-Ball-Beads-Golf-Stroke-Putt.jpg_220x220.jpg

Explain this score keeper thing... I'm not getting it from the photo.

Better or worse than birdie beads?

Alcohol wipes. Come in handy for wiping off fingers and disc when they hit poison ivy.

I used to carry a hockey puck because it was flatter and just slid right in the bottom of my bag. I rarely used it so it's out. Sticks and rocks work fine. Although I have been to a few open courses where there were not many sticks or rocks also not many trees to get stuck in.

Shoe racks are often just the right size to hold bunches and bunches of discs. I scrounge thrift shops to get them for a buck or two each instead of paying $15-20 retail.

edit: I tried using a lacrosse ball as a disc retriever once. On the way down it hit a root and with a single mighty bounce it disappeared down a 200' hillside, never to be seen again. (Lacrosse balls are solid rubber.)

Last edited:
Explain this score keeper thing... I'm not getting it from the photo.

Better or worse than birdie beads?

Same thing essentially, there's a lot of ways to make them. I tied a knot in the middle whereas the one I showed before has a green/different color in the middle. You could also have two different colors for strokes above par and strokes below par.

I start with all of the beads above the knot moved to the top, and all the beads below moved to the bottom. This is zero/even. If I get a birdie I move the beads below "par" to the knot. So in this picture I would be two down. If I get a bogey then I move a bead down so that there is only one bead below the par knot, etc.

You can DIY it to have as many beads below or above the knot as you like, for how good or bad you expect to play typically...if I run out of birdie beads I start sliding ones ones from the top to add to total birdies rather than counting as bogeys. Only happened once so far...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Same thing essentially, there's a lot of ways to make them. I tied a knot in the middle whereas the one I showed before has a green/different color in the middle. You could also have two different colors for strokes above par and strokes below par.

I start with all of the beads above the knot moved to the top, and all the beads below moved to the bottom. This is zero/even. If I get a birdie I move the beads below "par" to the knot. So in this picture I would be two down. If I get a bogey then I move a bead down so that there is only one bead below the par knot, etc.

You can DIY it to have as many beads below or above the knot as you like, for how good or bad you expect to play typically...if I run out of birdie beads I start sliding ones ones from the top to add to total birdies rather than counting as bogeys. Only happened once so far...

attachment.php

Gotcha. Makes sense.
I use birdie beads with two strands. Light colors are birdies, dark colors are bogeys.
Way better than writing scores or entering in a phone.

I used to carry a hockey puck because it was flatter and just slid right in the bottom of my bag. I rarely used it so it's out. Sticks and rocks work fine. Although I have been to a few open courses where there were not many sticks or rocks also not many trees to get stuck in.

Sometimes it confounds me how hard it can be to find a stick in a park.

You can also use a hockey puck to mark your lie. From the PDGA Tech Standards:
Mini Marker discs must have a circular shape, with a diameter ranging from 7 cm to 15 cm and a height not exceeding 3 cm. Mini marker discs can be made from a variety of materials (e.g. plastic, metal, wood).

A standard NHL puck is 2.5 cm thick x 7.6 cm in diameter.... completely within PDGA specs.

If you like the idea of equipment that multi-tasks, you gotta like a mini that's heavy enough to knock a disc out of a tree, and unlikely to get stuck in the process.

Last edited:

Good call. Alcohol wipes also instantly soothe the burn of stinging nettles.

Sometimes it confounds me how hard it can be to find a stick in a park.

You can also use a hockey puck to mark your lie. From the PDGA Tech Standards:

A standard NHL puck is 2.5 cm thick x 7.6 cm in diameter.... completely within PDGA specs.

If you like the idea of equipment that multi-tasks, you gotta like a mini that's heavy enough to knock a disc out of a tree, and unlikely to get stuck in the process.

An air hockey puck on the other hand, completely worthless at knocking discs out of trees. :|

--------------------------------

The tailgate special at Bojangles comes in a box perfectly sized to store discs in.

iu

Pros: Comes with fried chicken, has handle.
Cons: Discs may smell like fried chicken, a fully loaded box of discs will need duct tape reinforcement.

A piece of foam pipe insulation around the pole of your practice basket will noticeably reduce the noise level of your late night putting practice. It's not perfect, but your neighbors will probably appreciate that you are at least making an attempt.

For those who can't throw well or aim, I'm guessing you could just lob the ball over the branch, it hooks around, and then you should be able to shake the branch and dislodge the disc? The "roundness" of the ball should keep it from actually getting stuck on a branch, where a hook or similar device would. That's my guess at least..and I'm sold on the idea. lol..

I saw a guy using a tree shaker weight and line for the same purpose. Most effective method I've seen. http://www.sherrilltree.com/climbin...mm-zing-it-throwline-combo-180ft-and-10oz-bag

How about this in the 'hack' spirit?

"Hack unused space in your main bag compartment by compressing a towel into a ziplock and putting under your discs. Boom! Dry emergency towel when you need it. "

Used this yesterday for my glow bag. I just stuck one in my main bag.

Gotcha. Makes sense.
I use birdie beads with two strands. Light colors are birdies, dark colors are bogeys.
Way better than writing scores or entering in a phone.

How does that thing upload your scores to the DGCR app? How do you look at it two days later to figure out what you scored on hole 11? How do you keep track of the number of putts?

Seems way better than nothing.

How does that thing upload your scores to the DGCR app? How do you look at it two days later to figure out what you scored on hole 11? How do you keep track of the number of putts?

Seems way better than nothing.

:\

I don't have the DGCR app.
I don't record my scores.
I don't care how many putts I attempted.

I like the ball and rope tree retriever. Add a mark at 10m on the rope and you're multipurpose hacking.

My hack is attached. It keeps your pencils from sinking in to the allways too deep pencil pockets that bags have. They look cool too. Shows I take this game serious. :|

Attachments

• 64BA32D2-BFA0-4D6D-82DE-7AC2E0CFA021.jpg
    64BA32D2-BFA0-4D6D-82DE-7AC2E0CFA021.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Latest posts