• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG shoe addicts, share your expertise!

well, I just back from REI, bought me some new shoes
got me some Oboz
my big problem is i have narrow/flat feet, so its tough to find shoes that fit right
I have bought lots of northface in the past, some lasted a while but most didnt last very long at all.
also bought a pair of Tevas about a year ago, but dont always wear them.
we will see how well the Oboz work

Obozs soles were awesome for hiking but they got shredded as soon as you start discin. i wish i had not ever gone discin in mine and saved them for warm weather hikes.

What companies and/or specific lines of waterproof(ish) shoes do you guys find to be reasonably effective & reasonably durable (for the price)? I don't need to stand in a lake but I'd rather not have wet feet the entire first round of a tourney due to the dew on the early morning grass. Right now i have a pair of adidas 'waterproof' ball golf shoes (discontinued model - they were cheap) that I like the fit & feel - but hate the fact that the waterproofing is a joke. Even brand new and I'd feel the wet feet before i got to hole 1s teepad on early morning rounds.

I don't mind buying cheap and wearing through them if need be.
I don't mind paying good $ if they will hold up to DG reasonably well...Just don't want expensive shoes if they'll get thrashed in a few months of moderate play.

What companies and/or specific lines of waterproof(ish) shoes do you guys find to be reasonably effective & reasonably durable (for the price)? I don't need to stand in a lake but I'd rather not have wet feet the entire first round of a tourney due to the dew on the early morning grass. Right now i have a pair of adidas 'waterproof' ball golf shoes (discontinued model - they were cheap) that I like the fit & feel - but hate the fact that the waterproofing is a joke. Even brand new and I'd feel the wet feet before i got to hole 1s teepad on early morning rounds.
I will never trust Merrell again. My Timberlands are still going strong.

I don't mind buying cheap and wearing through them if need be.
I don't mind paying good $ if they will hold up to DG reasonably well...Just don't want expensive shoes if they'll get thrashed in a few months of moderate play.

even gore-tex shoes will get wet with morning dew on grass. its the paradox of breathable waterproofness. if the shoes are too waterproof (like if you wore solid rubber galoshes/wallys) your feet might still get wet with the sweat not being able to evaporate properly.

thats why its sometimes best just to wear regular breathable sneakers and something like wool running socks so they will evaporate and dry quickly after the soggy mess your shoes/feet become walking in dewy grass.

No, no they should not.

ya my last pair of Merrells were the first time i ever had a brand new pair of goretex shoes get water in them (and the only pair cause i dont buy merrell anymore). they should definitely lock out incoming moisture. usually if you have any moisture in your shoe it should be from feet sweat.

but he is right about picking up more breathable shoes and socks, during the hot months its better to go that route even with dew...tho personally i hate wool socks with a passion.

if you want shoes that have a better waterproofing go leather and make sure to take care of them properly.

No, no they should not.

i'm not saying its an absolute truth, but just google gore-tex and wetness in regards to light mists (with jackets) and morning dew on grass (with shoes). there are TONS of complaints about people getting wet.

its kind of a paradox... because you could stand in a stream/puddle and your feet won't get wet, and you can be in a total downpour and you'll be totally dry, but for some reason there is a ton of people who still get wet with simple mists and morning dew with goretex jackets and shoes.

if you want shoes that have a better waterproofing go leather and make sure to take care of them properly.

If only my OLD leather work boots weren't so stinking heavy. I've had em for ~13 years and they are still solid. I was shocked this spring when digging ditches (stupid rain flooding my yard) and it took ~3 hours of digging with a lot of standing in puddles before i felt the first bit of moisture. They are just to heavy though for anything but winter golf.

Just ordered a new pair of Marshall WP today, I'll check back with a quick review in a few months. Hooray 50% off coupon! Didn't really need new shoes...but oh the coupon! I'll probably play a round or two in my new Keen Rainiers if I play any rounds after work...but a composite toe cap is probably overkill :D
Then again...maybe not for some of you super toe-draggers... ;)

Got a pair of the Keen Marshall WP and first impressions are positive! I'll have to come back after a few months to speak about their durability, but for now I am very happy with them. Fit is true to size, I wear 10.5-11 Wide usually and the 10.5 regular width fit great. Played a couple rounds today in some muddy, wet conditions and my feet were completely dry by the end. For reference, I played the same course yesterday and after 3 holes my feet were soaked. Grip seems just right for playing disc golf, enough traction to not fall on my ass but not too much that I'm going to hurt my ankles or knees trying to pivot.

Incidentally if anyone lives near a Sam's Outfitters (only 3 locations, MA, NH, VT) they have a 25% off coupon that applies to almost all their shoes, so I got these for only 97 bucks!

So whats the verdict? Did they hold up? How was the waterproofing after some time?

i'm not saying its an absolute truth, but just google gore-tex and wetness in regards to light mists (with jackets) and morning dew on grass (with shoes). there are TONS of complaints about people getting wet.

its kind of a paradox... because you could stand in a stream/puddle and your feet won't get wet, and you can be in a total downpour and you'll be totally dry, but for some reason there is a ton of people who still get wet with simple mists and morning dew with goretex jackets and shoes.

I have never had an issue with any of the many hunting jackets I've had. I have had several pairs of shoes with no issues either. This one pair of merrells seems to suck up every drop of water within 5" of them. They say "waterproof" right on the shoe. :lol:

honestly when merrell moved their manufacturing from the states to asia their product went to total
turd_clip_art_23370.jpg

Last edited:
Just seeing this... My review on the Altra Lone Peak 1.5

Anyone have any experience with these brand/models?

Altra Running
http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men

guitarmanst, check out the Altra Lone Peak 1.5. Minimalist (zero drop) but made to be rugged and take the abuse that trail running and hiking can dish out. This shoe is my shoe of choice for both hiking and dg because I too value a roomy toe box where my toes can naturally splay out on rugged terrain.

As far as wear goes, I'm a toe dragger and the toe bumper has held up incredibly on both pairs that I have. While it shows wear, the integrity of the shoe is not being compromised at all. The tread pattern is very open and the lugs are aggressive enough for all terrain. I have maybe 200 rounds (minimum) on each pair and the soles are just now starting to show some wear. They're very lightweight and breathable, and even if/when they get wet, they dry out very quickly (I always wear Darn Tough merino wool socks with these shoes which helps the shoe dry quickly). These shoes do have a rock guard built into the insole, but with just enough cushioning to protect you from those rocks and minimal impact, they still give you a great feel for the ground. I can't recommend these enough if you value a wide toe box and a true zero drop in a rugged minimalist shoe. :thmbup:

The Vivo Barefoot shoes have much less stack height (stack height generally equates to the amount of cushioning in minimalist shoes), so you're going to feel the ground a lot more. This is good for some, but I've found that I prefer a bit of cushioning in the cases where I have an awkward lie or am having to tromp through rocks and need that extra bit of stability and cushion.

I can't recommend the Altras enough. :thmbup: I have several pairs and can't see myself wearing anything different in the near future.

Last edited:
The Vivo Barefoot shoes have much less stack height (stack height generally equates to the amount of cushioning in minimalist shoes), so you're going to feel the ground a lot more. This is good for some, but I've found that I prefer a bit of cushioning in the cases where I have an awkward lie or am having to tromp through rocks and need that extra bit of stability and cushion.

I can't recommend the Altras enough. :thmbup: I have several pairs and can't see myself wearing anything different in the near future.

thanks for digging that up. closer to biting the bullet and giving it a try. thinking more of getting the Olympus ones tho for the extra cushioning. plus the orange and black is sweet.

Anyone have any experience with these brand/models?

Altra Running
http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men

Vivobarefoot
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens#q=terrain.Off-Road

I have several pairs of Vivo's. The toe box is wider than most, no heel or extra cushion on the sole. The outdoor tread provides some cushion. Excellent traction everywhere. The tread might be a little soft for concrete pads and will wear faster. I play on natural pads most of the time. It is a barefoot shoe so give yourself some adjustment time if your not familiar with with that. Very tough shoes from my experience I wear them on any disc golf terrain. The Synth hiker isn't waterproof unfortunately, it needs add on waterproofing. Not a deal breaker, still an excellent boot. I do not recommend the Trail Freak for disc golf. It is just incredibly lightweight and breaks down on the stress points quickly. First the lace system, then the mesh. The Neo Trail for summer and the Synth hiker for winter is my recommendation. Both are outstanding and I will buy again when necessary.

So whats the verdict? Did they hold up? How was the waterproofing after some time?

You didn't quote me, but I've been playing in Marshall WPs for several months now.

The soles are a bit softer than what I'd call "regular" hiking shoe soles, but they're doing OK with concrete pivoting. By OK I mean "not so great," but that's pretty standard. I play a lot, 5 rounds/week probably on average plus field work, and the previous pair of Keens I had (looked like the current Targhee II, but was WP and I swear had a different name at the time) which had 'sturdier' hiking type soles didn't exactly hold up great either. I'm not complaining, I feel like there's no such thing as a shoe you can pivot on rough concrete 75-100 times/week and not see some damage. The soles of these (really a hike/trail run hybrid) are NOT as durable as sturdier hikers.

The waterproofing is decent, maybe not as effective as the Targhees or whatever I had before, but pretty good. It's actually a bit hard to say, because I've been wearing them only in hot weather (dirty south here) so I've dealt with the age old problem of WP = not so breathable. But they seem to do pretty well with the standard wet grass/creek's edge protection.

In all I like these for DG. My biggest beef with them was that the insoles they came with were pretty crappy, but that's easily fixed with a better pair. I still feel like the slight sacrifice in outsole durability was is worth it to get a more flexible, more "athletic" shoe.

Last edited:
So my Trail Gloves are nearly worn out to the point I'm going to retire them from DG and just use them as my biking shoe.

Merrell Ascend Gloves just got here today as replacements.

I don't know what it is about these minimal "barefoot" style shoes, but I love them. They're so comfortable.

Merrell Ascend Gloves just got here today as replacements.

I don't know what it is about these minimal "barefoot" style shoes, but I love them. They're so comfortable.

Nice, did you grab them off amazon for 40 bucks? I wish I had jumped on those, they're normally priced now for whatever reason...