• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Survey

Wow, I haven't been on this site in a long time. Not sure why I was tagged in a PM concerning this...?
I haven't played in years.
Anyway, hello to any who may remember me. Hope everyone is well.
Um...excuse me...we have CONVERSATIONS now.

Jeez.

(Good to see you!)

Because of your status just to be clear. It wasn't given to just anyone.
Ah, that makes since. I try to update every course I play to be as accurate as possible.

Does the DGR mirror still exist? That is what I most want out of DGCR.

Have you seen the disaster made of UDisc courses? The simplest thing of layouts is one of my biggest peeves about the app. Few things more frustrating than traveling to a new course, opening up the scoring app and having 3 dozen personal course layouts to work through.
Personally, my biggest concern is the potential for completely unsafe 'safari' layouts being 'promoted' by that app. Quickest way to get a course pulled is to have the park district discover that you aren't playing the course according to their specified safety concerns.

Example: I've seen courses designed in collaboration with the park board to limit throws from heading toward playgrounds, shelters, and paths, and then seen a layout in udisc that forces these types of throws because someone thought they represent a cool challenge.
This is something that UDisc has been trying to eliminate. They don't seem too keen on actually removing the layouts themselves (they had a 'deadline' at one point, after which date all Safari layouts would be deleted - it came and went and nothing happened). In the end it looks like they just decided to lightly incentivize removal to Course Ambassadors, in the form of achievements. They also incentivized adding their "Smart Layouts" similarly (which I believe have a few restrictions that prevent inputting Safari layouts, but could be wrong).

We have retained two Safari Layouts. One has been around and used since 2005 including in sanctioned league play. The other has simply become a local obsession and probably gets played in the morning during the week more than the conventional layouts. Everything else got deleted (especially the near-dozen variations on the short tees), and we maintain 6 "Smart Layouts" - Blue Tees, Red Tees, and a front and back for each of those. The most used red and blue tee layouts were both upgraded to their smart layouts, versus created from scratch, which helped with the decision to do what they were "incentivizing" because all player historical records were retained (and thankfully there were blue and red layouts with BY FAR the most rounds played)
Ahhh. A UDisc thing. Indeed. Sounds like you're basically a moderator for the course, only I do like the sound of "Ambassador". On the one hand it sounds a bit prestigious and cool. On the other hand it sounds like udisc found a way to get people to do their job for them for free. That is probably a bit cynical though, there's no way for anyone to be able to oversee that many courses in that way, so it makes sense to farm it out to locals or the course's actual designer/installer.
Especially not in the detail that you can pull off with a local. For example - when you place baskets and tees directly into their system you rarely get the right distance, even if the basket and front of tee are clearly visible on the satellite imagery. They allow you to choose a custom distance and adjust all holes. You can also make the shot paths clearly visible in the mapping system, which I can see as helpful on some particularly wooded holes. Though I am the only person I've seen take advantage of this and I'm guessing its rare, because it is sit-down-with-a-drink/snack time consuming (though honestly pretty simple):
1692109143930.png

No site can pull off any decent detail without crowdsourcing.

EDIT AFTER THIS POINT
Looking through all of my local courses, it appears that the new club just to the south of us (GAS DG) has taken up making nice flight path lines on their courses too! The newest course and the newest redesign in our area both have them looking pretty.
1692110109286.png

No comment on the design... Condolences to hole 16 on its lonely existence.

And I'm also noticing zero smart layouts for one of our other local courses, oddly the most played one of them all (I'm fairly certain). I guess I'm gonna have to do something about that (I'll do updates here at the same time).........

Last edited:
I am starting to think that DGCR need moderators. (preferably trusted ones) that can do some of the editing on courses.

I am not sure of the permissions, I seem to be able to do just about anything to a course right now.

It seems like Silver TR and above have that "open" access from what I've seen.