• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN: The Disc Golf Network

Just because YOU aren't personally paying for the service doesn't mean that it's free. We get enough sponsors in the sport like PGA or NASCAR and we'll get to watch for "free" also. TV contracts are 10s or 100s of millions of dollars for a reason.

The way you quote me and keep saying "free" implies that you think that I said something about the other services being free.

The way you quote me and keep saying "free" implies that you think that I said something about the other services being free.

I know exactly what you're implying though.

Disc golf coverage is crowd sourced. PGA is not, because hundreds of millions of dollars are invested into it by companies that aren't directly involved with the sport.

I've seen this argument over and over for a long time (back to the DGPlanet days) and it's always the same.

I know exactly what you're implying though.

Disc golf coverage is crowd sourced. PGA is not, because hundreds of millions of dollars are invested into it by companies that aren't directly involved with the sport.

I've seen this argument over and over for a long time (back to the DGPlanet days) and it's always the same.

I'm not sure I'm implying anything other than the fact that the live disc golf model doesn't currently work for me and I'm not going to pay additional funds for a service that I don't find to be of value to me.

That's not Jamie, it's Johnny V, who also posts here pretty frequently.

And I basically agree with him on almost everything I see here. 99% of the complaints I see about DGN are from people who seem to have little to no understanding of what it takes to produce live coverage, and how that differs from their precious beloved Jomez.

I don't see any of it as Jomez vs DGN. I also, as a potential paying consumer, do not need to understand the challenges of different kinds of broadcasts. I am the customer and will determine what I want or need on my own.

Currently both formats seem to be able to sustain a small, but increasing viewership.

Is Jomez/CCDG/Gatekeeper etc. still doing next day? Or even 2nd or 3rd card coverage? I looked the other day and can't seem to find anything. I have no problem waiting a day to watch a card play a round in about an hour, after work (second shift for me). For free.

During the summer when the pros are playing is when I'll be playing. And the spring and fall for that matter. I'm not willing to spend money on watching live when I could be out playing myself. Hopefully they put up some post produced coverage, even if it's a couple weeks later.

https://www.dgpt.com/watch/disc-golf-media/

They have several channels listed for doing postpro coverage. I guess some of them will be there on a regional basis.

I'm not sure I'm implying anything other than the fact that the live disc golf model doesn't currently work for me and I'm not going to pay additional funds for a service that I don't find to be of value to me.

Then why not say that instead of beat around the bush mentioning other sports that have multimillion dollar corporate investors, and TV deals that let you watch OTA? That's a pretty convoluted way of saying "I don't think this product is worth it to me, so I am not paying" I'm 100% cool with that, I don't care how you spend your money.

Then why not say that instead of beat around the bush mentioning other sports that have multimillion dollar corporate investors, and TV deals that let you watch OTA? That's a pretty convoluted way of saying "I don't think this product is worth it to me, so I am not paying" I'm 100% cool with that, I don't care how you spend your money.

I did.

Then someone said they watch it as background noise in the same way that others watch golf or baseball.

I pointed out that I don't have to pay for a subscription service to watch those other things as background noise.

If you're not paying, you're being sold.

I agree with this, and wonder how this will scale in a couple years for the post production companies. I can't imagine it faring well...

We all have our preference for live vs post production coverage, that debate can be left alone.

A few years ago TD's were basically paying post production companies to come film their events. Videos get put on YouTube, they make money, and the cycle continues.

Now we're in the era of media rights, and the film crews are having to pay for the right to show up and film. I'm not sure exactly what led to this shift...if events were realizing there was getting to be decent money to be made from YouTube and wanted a way to capitalize or what. As things continue to grow I can't see those right getting any cheaper, so will YouTube and Patreon revenues be able to keep up?

Live coverage will eventually get better and cheaper to produce. We're also in an era of building businesses with the intent of selling within a couple of years. Is DGPT pushing hard towards live coverage with the hope that in a couple of years they have a product they can sell off for a big chunk of cash?

That's not Jamie, it's Johnny V, who also posts here pretty frequently.

And I basically agree with him on almost everything I see here. 99% of the complaints I see about DGN are from people who seem to have little to no understanding of what it takes to produce live coverage, and how that differs from their precious beloved Jomez.

Dang it I had a feeling I had that exactly mixed up but then I googled it and thought I got it right. Doh.

I will definitely agree with that - anyone saying "just let Jomez film live!!!" is not worth engaging with. But plenty of other veeeeeery legit criticism that he doesn't respond to or says "well we have 15k subs, we must be doing something right!"

I think I saw somewhere that they have more cameras this year.

Will they be featuring more cards this year? I don't sub because, honestly, the action is too slow. On the final day - the intensity of a tight tournament can get me watching the free live coverage on YouTube, but I wouldn't spend on it and I won't watch it on earlier days. But if they're gonna have more cameras, and are able to keep the action going throughout the day, I'll be subscribing.

Dang it I had a feeling I had that exactly mixed up but then I googled it and thought I got it right. Doh.

I will definitely agree with that - anyone saying "just let Jomez film live!!!" is not worth engaging with. But plenty of other veeeeeery legit criticism that he doesn't respond to or says "well we have 15k subs, we must be doing something right!"

He's been absolute trash on Reddit. If I were DGN I'd tell him he had to stop posting there.

He's been absolute trash on Reddit. If I were DGN I'd tell him he had to stop posting there.

this might've been his single worst response:

Or we continue to look at all criticism and pick and choose what we feel is valid, fixing and improving what we can and have resources for. And continue to put out the product that has gained us 15k+ subs and bringing in sponsors by the day. As well as outside sponsors to the sport.

If we listened to the vocal minority on everything, nothing would ever change because everyone has an opinion on everything. If the product doesn't suit your liking, there are lots of ways to watch DG.

Keep criticizing, I will keep reading. Sometimes I may even respond. But for now, time to start prepping for Vegas.

also the one where he says "Man, I wish I was more of the angry troll sometimes." pure gold

this might've been his single worst response:

Or we continue to look at all criticism and pick and choose what we feel is valid, fixing and improving what we can and have resources for. And continue to put out the product that has gained us 15k+ subs and bringing in sponsors by the day. As well as outside sponsors to the sport.

If we listened to the vocal minority on everything, nothing would ever change because everyone has an opinion on everything. If the product doesn't suit your liking, there are lots of ways to watch DG.

Keep criticizing, I will keep reading. Sometimes I may even respond. But for now, time to start prepping for Vegas.

also the one where he says "Man, I wish I was more of the angry troll sometimes." pure gold

I am not on Reddit so I don't see what criticism he is responding to, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with his response. It's up to them to run it how they see fit, and the market will tell them if they are doing a good job.

I am not on Reddit so I don't see what criticism he is responding to, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with his response. It's up to them to run it how they see fit, and the market will tell them if they are doing a good job.

IIRC it's in response to someone calling them out for deleting critical comments from their subscribers on their Facebook page.

I find it 'interesting' that a group who shells out $30+ for some special edition disc complains so much about 3 days of coverage for $4 or $8, when that actually gets you multiple tournaments most months. I mean its like fifty cents or less a round considering a typical month.

If we are so poor how do we (they) pay for the gas to even drive to the courses, much less all this expensive plastic that usually ends up in a pond...:)

Now I get if someone doesn't like watching live disc golf period. Cool. I know a lot of people watch live MMA events. I never have, so even if free, I wouldn't do it, just not interested. But...I don't go on MMA sites and complain about the cost. Pay for it or don't.

The alternative is just no coverage. No one is becoming a millionaire covering disc golf tournaments at this point. I am glad to have whatever options we do have.

IIRC it's in response to someone calling them out for deleting critical comments from their subscribers on their Facebook page.

Thanks. That helps me understand the criticism they are getting here. I don't think they should delete critical comments from paying subscribers either (unless they are truly inappropriate or profane).

Obviously everyone has a different opinion. I am a subscriber, and I'm pretty happy with their coverage. It has improved since last year. I get the reluctance to pay for it but for me, the $5/month for DGN is worth it.