• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN: The Disc Golf Network

I had basically given up being a sports fan due to costly cable packages and streaming services; many of which didn't deliver on their promises. Subscribing to watch disc golf feels like a step backward for me.

Disc golf has really stepped up its marketing in the past two years. More costly signature discs and limited runs. Now a streaming service I have to subscribe to if I want to watch an event. Major professional sports and their forever escalating price gouging have left a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe it's the $10 beer in a plastic cup. I know that what DGN is asking for is a pittance by comparison, but I've reached a point where if you put it behind a paywall I'll just learn to live without it.

I think the sport has to be careful about making people pay to watch it above the cost of internet access.

Some sports have gone that way and I think suffered too because of it. Boxing for instance which was at one time one of the most popular sports in the US is a shell of itself. It's sort of making a comeback being on ESPN now but really who is shelling out mucho bucks to watch some Mayweather junk over his career? Certainly not me but I'm just a casual boxing fan.

Chasing the money in the short term could cause long term losses overall. At least it's not completely paywalled yet and any casual fan can still tune in to next day coverage.

Alright, so I went ahead and paid my $5 to see what this was all about for All-Star weekend and my takeaways are:
Live coverage was pretty good, some buffering issues but no big deal to me. They did a pretty good job of shuffling between cards, but not enough in my opinion (I don't think they should focus solely on the lead card).
There were a few things that bothered me, primarily that I actually have to watch it live. I cannot fathom why there is no way to watch the feed on a delay, or pause it as I need. I do this with live broadcasts over Youtube all the time. It's unlikely I will ever tune into a DG event on time so this bothers me. I would also encourage them to incorporate some sort of delay into their own broadcasting, as there was a pretty clear delay between the video and the announcer reactions. This could also give them more time to show highlight shots from other cards.
Lastly, why the hell am I getting ads when I am paying for the coverage?

Since I'm subscribed through Waco, I'll see what they can do, but I'm not really convinced yet.
You can pause it. I usually do it on purpose and skip thru as needed. You just have to make sure you're caught up to the live before the stream ends.

You can pause it. I usually do it on purpose and skip thru as needed. You just have to make sure you're caught up to the live before the stream ends.

Not on my phone apparently. Seems like different platforms have different capabilities, if you'd payed attention to the previous posts.

The change to the later FPO tee times, and then use their shots to fill in dead air on the MPO lead cards, has turned out to be the best addition to disc golf coverage since adding drone hole previews and shot trackers IMO.
I also enjoy seeing how players closer to my skill set play the hole after watching 2000-rated pros attack them.

Looking better after the reset. I will say that I do enjoy Ian in the booth much more than Jamie

Lots of stormy weather around the country today. It is what it is.

it's not storming in Vegas or Wisconsin (where the stream feed is broadcast from) so that's not really any excuse.

It does seem like it's been fixed since I commented, however.

I will say that I do enjoy Ian in the booth much more than Jamie

Still not a fan of Ian in the booth. After watching FPO play and Ian giggling, laughing at various FPO mishaps due to the wind, etc, saying "ohn couldn't throw ob if she wanted to" making fun of her distance, even less a fan.

I thought he was fine. Much better than the guy who was in there last week for the All Stars.

I'd love to better understand your reasoning for that. (Assuming you mean you prefer Ian over Terry) I understand if you don't want to reply, but I wouldn't mind a respectful dialog why some people prefer Ian over Terry as I think there is an incredible difference between them that makes it easy for me to prefer Terry over Ian.

Doss is starting to grow on me. I never thought I would say that.

Since I am stuck working today. Actually had to go into work for a 12 hour gig. I am bored and looking to watch disc golf. Is there going to be free live coverage of the LVC today?

Since I am stuck working today. Actually had to go into work for a 12 hour gig. I am bored and looking to watch disc golf. Is there going to be free live coverage of the LVC today?

I have an old video of me and a few others disc golfing you could watch. It's titled, "Why We Are Not On Tour". ;)

Latest posts