• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Idlewild Open

Speaking of spoilers, here are the effects of every hole score for every player who was ranked in the top ten of ratings or top ten in finishing position.

Performance Tracks Charts

attachment.php

Attachments

• IdlewildPTs2019.jpg
    IdlewildPTs2019.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 248
3. Younger viewers are used to this type of recognition these days. It is extremely popular with streaming, which is the reason Superchat was created in the first place. So do we sacrifice what we have come to know in standard professional sports for a more modern system popular with streamers? Honestly not sure what the right answer is.

Ah yes, remember when you used to have to earn recognition? Now you can buy it. BTW - one way you could earn recognition was by having good manners. Every now and then I will accidentally leave the chat up, till I get nauseated and shut it off.

Yes, I realize it provides a way to make money. Sigh.

Speaking of spoilers, here are the effects of every hole score for every player who was ranked in the top ten of ratings or top ten in finishing position.

Performance Tracks Charts

attachment.php

Of all the charts you do, these are the ones I like the most. :thmbup: Thanks for posting them, and keep up the good work. :clap:

Three observationsg about the coverage, based upon my 15 years in the tv news industry.

1. Highlight the player's name for who is throwing. You really want people to know these players, keep highlighting who's on screen. We see this in golf coverage.and the players name, and what stroke, is one before every shot.

2. Show more of the leaderboard throughout the round. Let us know how players on other cards are doing. Is someone else making a charge? More info the better.

3. Find a way to show highlights of other players as well. Even if you just have one camera stationed at a signature hole - think #17 at Sawgrass or #16 at Augusta - let's see other players just to break things up.

Other than that, coverage has come a long way. Very impressive.

Three observationsg about the coverage, based upon my 15 years in the tv news industry.

1. Highlight the player's name for who is throwing. You really want people to know these players, keep highlighting who's on screen. We see this in golf coverage.and the players name, and what stroke, is one before every shot.

2. Show more of the leaderboard throughout the round. Let us know how players on other cards are doing. Is someone else making a charge? More info the better.

3. Find a way to show highlights of other players as well. Even if you just have one camera stationed at a signature hole - think #17 at Sawgrass or #16 at Augusta - let's see other players just to break things up.

1A. We did that last year when we had a graphics guy (Gary O) who came to the house and was able to hit that for every shot. But now he is a cameraman again and working onsite. So I only have me and I don't remember to hit it everytime. But, I can try to remember more frequently.

2A. I do think we can show the leaderboard more often in general. Totally agree. I try to show it during walks and when we fill time at the booth.

3A. Showing other players would be great as well. It is honestly a logistics issue with that. We can setup another camera and then use that to fill sometime, assuming there is someone at the stationary cam when we need time filled. Otherwise you need an entire additional person to record those shots and feed them to us during downtime. And we don't really have the budget for another person to do that job at the moment. But it is in the grand scheme for sure. That was our plan at GBO when we had a static cam on 17 for a lunch break. But we underestimated the total data usage and ended up having to cut that camera. Just for data alone, that camera could cost us two additional data lines on our monthly bill if we ran it as well.

I appreciate the input, and we will continue to look into ways to improve the broadcasts.

1A. We did that last year when we had a graphics guy (Gary O) who came to the house and was able to hit that for every shot. But now he is a cameraman again and working onsite. So I only have me and I don't remember to hit it everytime. But, I can try to remember more frequently.

2A. I do think we can show the leaderboard more often in general. Totally agree. I try to show it during walks and when we fill time at the booth.

3A. Showing other players would be great as well. It is honestly a logistics issue with that. We can setup another camera and then use that to fill sometime, assuming there is someone at the stationary cam when we need time filled. Otherwise you need an entire additional person to record those shots and feed them to us during downtime. And we don't really have the budget for another person to do that job at the moment. But it is in the grand scheme for sure. That was our plan at GBO when we had a static cam on 17 for a lunch break. But we underestimated the total data usage and ended up having to cut that camera. Just for data alone, that camera could cost us two additional data lines on our monthly bill if we ran it as well.

I appreciate the input, and we will continue to look into ways to improve the broadcasts.

Keep up the fantastic work. I know the feelings of woulda, coulda, shoulda and the dynamic of a live broadcast vs post-prod.

I honestly think that the manufacturers are starting to get worn out on sponsoring media in general.

This is the most interesting sentence in the thread to me.

Are they crazy?

Tens of thousands of amateurs buying discs they don't really need is the financial foundation of the whole disc golf industry, especially the professional side of disc golf.

Pro coverage is one great long, clever advertisement for these companies, convincing saps like me to give them yet another 15 dollars in the hopes that THIS disc will fly like the guys I'm watching on youtube.

If pro disc golf didn't exist and somebody at a disc manufacturer just came up with the concept in order to advertise and sell more discs they'd be considered a marketing genius.

This is the most interesting sentence in the thread to me.

Are they crazy?

Tens of thousands of amateurs buying discs they don't really need is the financial foundation of the whole disc golf industry, especially the professional side of disc golf.

Pro coverage is one great long, clever advertisement for these companies, convincing saps like me to give them yet another 15 dollars in the hopes that THIS disc will fly like the guys I'm watching on youtube.

If pro disc golf didn't exist and somebody at a disc manufacturer just came up with the concept in order to advertise and sell more discs they'd be considered a marketing genius.

Didn't DGA come up with the original disc golf basket, I know the game was already out but the sport was not at the modern level yet and was more a afterthought for big all around type disc tournaments using other methods like low ground baskets trying to emulate traditional golf, metal poles, or even original style objects until a way to play disc golf more fairly was invented with the modern Basket.

1. Applies even to post production. It may take a while to learn to recognize the player by shirt color etc, and what if they all wear black? Also par 5s tend to get confusing easily since its tough to keep a track on how many throws so-and-so is into the hole. Simple graphic would help.

On 2. We see this more this year then ever with post production after 4-5 holes then doing it again in the same round. Before it was at best once a round if you got to see that at all from the post production crew, only CCDG and Jomez really did that.

On 3. We sometimes see in post production if nobody else has the second card something from the second card like the people doing something very impressive from time to time on a round or in a tournament, though right now only Jomez has the power to do that.

Last edited:
Ratings question:

Paige throw a 70 in R3 and that gave her a rating of 987 . . . .a 70 in MPO also gave a Rating of 987.

But FPO play different tee on 3 holes. . . if FPO play a "easier" layout than MPO, why is the rating the same?

Ratings question:

Paige throw a 70 in R3 and that gave her a rating of 987 . . . .a 70 in MPO also gave a Rating of 987.

But FPO play different tee on 3 holes. . . if FPO play a "easier" layout than MPO, why is the rating the same?

"lies, damned lies, and statistics..."

either the TD entered it wrong or small sample size...

Maybe so, but all 3 holes looks quite a bit harder for MPO especially holes 4 and 5
Hole 5 was much harder related to par for FPO than MPO, there were no birdies in the whole tournament. Even hole 4 had only two.

Hole 5 was much harder related to par for FPO than MPO. There were zero birdies in the whole tournament.

Sure, but if FPO had played from the MPO tee. . .the hole would have been even harder for FPO.
So that made me wonder why the rating was the same when they play different tees