• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Idlewild Open

Paige and Cats tactics on 16 is SOOO bad . . the young Heather plays smart, it´s just odd to see

Every commentating crew has their own feel. Both Dixon and McCall are very good at what they do. Dixon comes prepped with more stats and info than any other person in our sport, post or live. McCall is a natural behind the mic and possibly the best voice of our sport. They are friends, and sometimes get a bit silly. Frankly, I don't mind.

I can understand that people wouldn't like him calling out all the Superchat messages, but guess what... it drove MORE Superchat messages. In fact, it drove the most Superchat we have seen (without giving away stuff). And if we can make a few hundred bucks from that, I am willing to sacrifice what some see as the professionalism of the broadcast for the cold hard cash. That may make me sound cheap, but frankly it isn't like any of us are making fat bank doing this.

I hope everyone enjoys the final day of broadcasts. 9am & 3:30 EST.

I'm already on record as hating the live coverage, but I do try to tune in each time it's available, not to hate on it, but in hopes I will be won over and enjoy it.

The closest I got was the final round of the Portland Open, but right when Eagle missed that putt the picture started glitching so I just turned it off...

Anyway, tuning in yesterday and hearing Dixon's constant attempts at humorous banter and McCall's not stop Superchat call outs had me turning it off even quicker than usual. It sounded like McCall was even annoyed at some of his nonsense.

I would have muted it and kept watching but the glacial pace of play is still the major sticking point with me.

The picture was clear. The hole preview drone footage seemed slowed down or at odds with the FPS or something, and was essentially useless.

Suggesting we FFWD through 4 hours of coverage to see 2 hours of action is really stupid, by the way. It's not the viewer's responsibility to remove or fill in the dead air in the broadcast...

I'm already on record as hating the live coverage, but I do try to tune in each time it's available, not to hate on it, but in hopes I will be won over and enjoy it.

The closest I got was the final round of the Portland Open, but right when Eagle missed that putt the picture started glitching so I just turned it off...

Anyway, tuning in yesterday and hearing Dixon's constant attempts at humorous banter and McCall's not stop Superchat call outs had me turning it off even quicker than usual. It sounded like McCall was even annoyed at some of his nonsense.

I would have muted it and kept watching but the glacial pace of play is still the major sticking point with me.

The picture was clear. The hole preview drone footage seemed slowed down or at odds with the FPS or something, and was essentially useless.

Suggesting we FFWD through 4 hours of coverage to see 2 hours of action is really stupid, by the way. It's not the viewer's responsibility to remove or fill in the dead air in the broadcast...

giphy.gif

You seem to have a very low tolerance to any sort of issues. Live probably isn't for you.

Actually yes it IS the viewer's responsibility to FF thru parts they don't find interesting. As it is for ANY live sports. Whether it is commercials, stats, rain delay, etc. Like it or not, that is how live sports works. Guess what, I watch post production stuff at 1.5 speed with no commentary. I manually skip thru parts of that too.

And what you call a "glacial" pace of play, some of us call building actual drama. No problem. To each their own. You do you. I am not trying to convince you to watch, frankly I don't care if people do or don't at this point. Most have made up their mind. There are thousands of people who enjoy it regularly and I am pretty happy with that.

How do you fast forward during live coverage? You can't watch what hasn't happened yet....or am I an old man missing something? :confused:

How do you fast forward during live coverage? You can't watch what hasn't happened yet....or am I an old man missing something? :confused:

You don't have the "into the future" YouTube plugin? Just kidding. It was referring to fast forwarding watching live coverage after the fact.

Actually yes it IS the viewer's responsibility to FF thru parts they don't find interesting. As it is for ANY live sports. Whether it is commercials, stats, rain delay, etc. Like it or not, that is how live sports works.

No, it's not. Live sports has no fast forward.

Furthermore to this point, the whole point of alobar's comment was that we should not have to fast forward through live stream as a lousy substitute for good post-produced content like that normally provided by Jomez and CCDG.

If you (plural) want your (plural) future PPV to work, you (plural) need to respect the viewers and what they're trying to tell you, rather than constantly pushing back against good information.

No, it's not. Live sports has no fast forward.

Furthermore to this point, the whole point of alobar's comment was that we should not have to fast forward through live stream as a lousy substitute for good post-produced content like that normally provided by Jomez and CCDG.

If you (plural) want your (plural) future PPV to work, you (plural) need to respect the viewers and what they're trying to tell you, rather than constantly pushing back against good information.

What is best for the viewers isn't always whats best for the growth of the sport. They are only 1 particular side of the coin. IF charging money for content (live, post, whatever) grows the sport in a more meaningful way that is great. But you won't hear ANYONE say they would rather pay to view disc golf. And I don't know if that is the solution. No one knows.

And frankly, no one is owed "good post production" of events. If events decided that live was better for their tournament you get no say in it. Just like if events say that post is better, the people who enjoy live get no say in it. That is just how it works. If I decided to throw the event enough money to be the exclusive provider... tough luck to everyone else.

What is best for the viewers isn't always whats best for the growth of the sport. They are only 1 particular side of the coin. IF charging money for content (live, post, whatever) grows the sport in a more meaningful way that is great. But you won't hear ANYONE say they would rather pay to view disc golf. And I don't know if that is the solution. No one knows.

And frankly, no one is owed "good post production" of events. If events decided that live was better for their tournament you get no say in it. Just like if events say that post is better, the people who enjoy live get no say in it. That is just how it works. If I decided to throw the event enough money to be the exclusive provider... tough luck to everyone else.

Wow. Just wow.

Arguing with SD is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

You seem to have a very low tolerance to any sort of issues. Live probably isn't for you.

Actually yes it IS the viewer's responsibility to FF thru parts they don't find interesting. As it is for ANY live sports. Whether it is commercials, stats, rain delay, etc. Like it or not, that is how live sports works. Guess what, I watch post production stuff at 1.5 speed with no commentary. I manually skip thru parts of that too.

And what you call a "glacial" pace of play, some of us call building actual drama. No problem. To each their own. You do you. I am not trying to convince you to watch, frankly I don't care if people do or don't at this point. Most have made up their mind. There are thousands of people who enjoy it regularly and I am pretty happy with that.

I wasn't asking you to convince me to watch. The fact that you don't care and are happy with the number of viewers with no interest in growth is actually very sad. And when I turned off the Portland Open, the feed began glitching right when the drama was highest. Thank god I hadn't watched the entire round up to that point, so my disappointment was minimal.

If I have to FFWD through a pre-recorded event, it is not longer live...and might as well have been recorded, edited, and post-produced. I'm not sure why that is a hard concept to understand - you're being willfully obtuse with your reply.

But here are some questions since you like to respond:

What is Terry doing there in person?? Why is he there? Because the on-course insights he offers are utterly redundant and have little to zero insight. Is he just there to rub elbows with the Pros he wished to be?

If he's going to be there in person, how about getting there early and filming and editing short interviews/pieces that could be inserted into the broadcast, to spare us from Superchat call-outs and Mr. Funny?

He could interview/highlight: pro players, local pros, course designers, TD's, volunteers, course history, practice rounds, sponsors. Just about anything, you know, good, instead of telling us it's hot out and there is very little wind.

Disc golf is a small pond filled with people who think they are big fish, but in reality, lack imagination or creativity or anything other than having been there first or longest.

Btw, as an afterthought, what does Terry do for a living? I've never heard him mention what he does besides Smashboxx. Does he actually make a living off the productions/Patreon? If so, I find that incredible...