• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 OTB Open presented by Innova May 14-16

I've only seen the front 9, but the -13 hot round I suggested from the caddy book was wrong. The low ceilings are definitely going to limit distance. I still don't see there being a ton of bogeys among the top few guys, but I don't think as many holes are "easy birdies" as I first thought.

Watching some practice footage from this course it looks like it will be windy

Forecast is for some wind in the morning and increasing through the day (pretty typical for the area) but Saturday will be stronger wind and Sunday looks like relatively calm conditions. Probably more windy for the women.
It will be hot for them but not as hot as it can be.
There was a real chance of very strong wind and 90+ degrees but doesn't look like it will make that for this weekend.

The back 9 has a lot more water possibilities. 17 will be so fun to watch.

Crazy thing is the trees control the wind a lot, so it swirls. When it is gusty you can have a tailwind standing on the tee but then pure right to left at the basket.

If this is going to be a roller and spike hyzer throwing competition my money is on eagle. Seems like those shots were they only viable options with the low ceilings on a lot of holes. That or Calvin because he can throw 450ft ropes that are 5 feet off the ground.

I wonder if Simon CAN throw 70-80% today or if he goes into "competition mode" and forgets to dial it down. . .

Would be fun IF he holds back AND does well. . Dialed down Simon may be the better Simon

If this is going to be a roller and spike hyzer throwing competition my money is on eagle. Seems like those shots were they only viable options with the low ceilings on a lot of holes. That or Calvin because he can throw 450ft ropes that are 5 feet off the ground.

Seems like there will be very few spike hyzers compared to most courses. There are too many low ceiling shots for that. It certainly plays to Calvin's game. Eagle can throw some long-distance rollers, but a good amount of the holes where rollers would help also have a cap on how far the roller can go. For example, there are a couple of two-shot holes where it'd be really nice to get some extra distance, but there's water at 450-500 feet, so going roller isn't a (good) option for getting the extra distance past what they can do i the air.

I'm not counting Eagle out though.

Well... so far it doesn't look like anyone is going to go massively under par. Eagle is in the lead atm with -6 thru10. Not a lot of bogeys and only a handful of dubs and those are mostly from no namers. No long strings of birdies yet. Only 3 turkeys so far but only a few of the top15-20 players are on the course.

Udisc says it's 1mph wind... that has to be an error or it is very calm there in the mornings.

Yeah the birdies are few like I expected. Eagle is tearing it up though.

I've only seen the front 9, but the -13 hot round I suggested from the caddy book was wrong. The low ceilings are definitely going to limit distance. I still don't see there being a ton of bogeys among the top few guys, but I don't think as many holes are "easy birdies" as I first thought.

Your first guess where spot on. .nice

From the hole previews, it is one of the better designed DG courses on a golf course. Definitely some constraints on the lines, but you can also avoid most of the gaps if you want to play safe. With that said, unless a golf course is densely wooded, it still isn't traditional DG. The top pros are going to break some of these holes, but I'm interested to see a new course on the pro tour that isn't wide open golf.

It seems like the hot rounds will still be in the -13 range. Not enough danger for the top pros.

well my -13 prediction might hold true. Maybe I should stick with my gut?

I think your gut got lucky with Eagle killing everyone else.

Yeah, I definitely got lucky. Lots of studying courses and how pros play them got me in the neighborhood, but Eagle played out of his mind.

I think another of the 1050 boys will shoot double digits under par. Looking at the scores that have come in thus far I think one of Paul/Ricky/Calvin will be close to Eagle, unless the wind picks up drastically.

I also think the back 9 will play significantly (2-3 strokes) easier than the front (compared to par), so I think -4 down through 9 is on pace to hit double digits.

Well. Looks like my prediction about rollers being popular is holding true so far. Sexton is 2 for 2 throwing rollers to start his round...

Ricky is 2 for 2 throwing rollers OB to start his round...

I'm happy to see James Proctor again, and glad he's being filmed. Dude only plays pro tour events on the west coast/in the summer because he's a school teacher, I think with special ed. Oh, and he can also crush.

Well. Looks like my prediction about rollers being popular is holding true so far. Sexton is 2 for 2 throwing rollers to start his round...

Ricky is 2 for 2 throwing rollers OB to start his round...

Yikes.

At least Ricky's 2nd OB was right behind the basket and snuck his par putt in... and he made a long bogey putt on no1 to limit the damage.

Hole 3 doesnt have a roller play. Low ceiling tee shot with a water carry.

Last edited:
yeah, that's what I noticed on a lot of holes, and why I said "there doesn't seem to be much danger." For the top guys, the OB is close enough to the basket that it's worth it to go for the park job and live with a par if it doesn't work out. If Leonard Muise reads this, I'd encourage him to make the OB in places that don't allow for that, like putting a basket on the other side of the OB area so if someone doesn't clear the OB, they have a 40-90 foot putt rather than going past the basket 20' into OB and being gifted a 20' comeback putt. There are other ways to do it too.

With that said, I'm loving the course design. There are a lot of low ceiling shots, but they are varied enough that they don't all feel the same.

I wish someone grabbed a camera and followed Eagle to get some of his round. Not sure about the wind really. It looks right now like it won't get that bad during the actual play times. FPO might get it by the end of the round but forecast keeps changing but right now it was 15 degrees warmer and considerably more wind last weekend. Saturday woke up at 6 to just as much wind as we had at the peak Friday. This isn't looking too bad.

Latest posts