• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 The Preserve Championship July 30-Aug 1

I think hole 10 would be much better if the basket was moved up closer to the OB. The OB doesn't really come into play. Say 15-20 feet past the wall, that way you can play safe and go long but then you have a 30 footer which you need touch to run and not go OB or just rip it and hope to hit it.

Eagle coming up BIG on 16. Ricky answers. Can never count Paul out, especially if Ricky and Eagle play aggressive to beat the other.

That bear almost beat Ricky.

Props to the top 3 for a great battle.
Fist bump for GBuhr.

Amazing finish. Great win for Ricky. I thought Eagle was going to make his putt for a playoff. Rattling left side chains has to be frustrating.

Great design by Cale. Great mix of holes.

Looks like Kristin will walk away with another victory before going home. Or rather, sprinting away from the competition.
Damn shame she (& the rest of the world) didn't get a chance to play in the states sooner. Gotta believe if she had been in the states a few weeks before Worlds, she would have had a much better chance at giving Cat & Paige a run at the title. (Feels like stating the obvious saying that).

No FPO player made par on #5 today and it played +1.65, 2 pars on Saturday and +1.77, 2 pars on Friday and 1.77.
Probably should have been a par 5.

Nate Doss commentating before they tee of on hole 15 "looks like we are headed for a playoff"...

Ugh...I really can't stand him in the booth...

Eagle's miss on 17, 4th miss in a row on that hole according to commentators. Weird he does'nt feel confident on a 74 meter long medium difficulty straight tunnels shot.

Andrew Zimmern is spectating the lead cards...

i don't really know him from the culinary world , but how do you play that long and not get better as a player. hopefully as he spectates and talks to elite tier players he figures out how to elevate his game. (the elite players should make it a point to help people who are in the public eye IMO).

i always had a killer short game from playing Frisbee from the 60's and never really moved forward in the driving department til the You Tube era when i added 100 ft to my drives and fully understood shot shaping to become the outstanding advanced masters player at 62 that i am ;)

I was wrong; the course definitely played harder this year than last year. I was right about the hot round being -15, but that was three strokes clear of the next best round. In other words, I got lucky with my prediction. Props to Cale for making the adjustments. I love the new hole 4. It's a good hole for spectators (Hundreds can see the drives and the approaches, maybe even the putts), but it's not an easy out in the open hole.

I agree with OMD for once; I'd love hole 10 a lot more if it were closer to the water. I'd want it far enough away to encourage top players to still got for long putts, but close enough to make some of them mess up both a drive (throwing too short) and a comeback putt (going too long).

I was wrong; the course definitely played harder this year than last year. I was right about the hot round being -15, but that was three strokes clear of the next best round. In other words, I got lucky with my prediction. Props to Cale for making the adjustments. I love the new hole 4. It's a good hole for spectators (Hundreds can see the drives and the approaches, maybe even the putts), but it's not an easy out in the open hole.

I agree with OMD for once; I'd love hole 10 a lot more if it were closer to the water. I'd want it far enough away to encourage top players to still got for long putts, but close enough to make some of them mess up both a drive (throwing too short) and a comeback putt (going too long).

It's funny but Cale took much of my advice from last year as well. Maybe I do know what I am talking about?

Some of the open areas could probably use some trees planted as well. Something fast growing. Then in ten years, boom you have a nice tree lined fairways.

My other idea is to make a sand trap maybe 35 feet and short left on 13. Seemed like a pretty easy FH shot most of the time and having a trap that could catch discs short would maybe force players to play the straighter shot into the green. Thus more technical. Or if they want to FH (straight to hyzer) they need to carry the bunker and try and stop it before the right woods.

Damn shame that Kristin is headed home.

The FPO really needs a few more top players to make it interesting IMO. It would be nice to see a lead card with 3 or 4 players in contention.

Looking at the MPO, that really means we need a lot more top level females. In MPO, we are seeing competition from numerous players. Matty O. joining the party or Kyle, or Conrad. So many really good players that we aren't seeing lots of runaways. It seems like any one of the top 25 or so can have a breakout tournament and at minimum push the top dogs to the end.

Damn shame that Kristin is headed home.

The FPO really needs a few more top players to make it interesting IMO. It would be nice to see a lead card with 3 or 4 players in contention.

Looking at the MPO, that really means we need a lot more top level females. In MPO, we are seeing competition from numerous players. Matty O. joining the party or Kyle, or Conrad. So many really good players that we aren't seeing lots of runaways. It seems like any one of the top 25 or so can have a breakout tournament and at minimum push the top dogs to the end.
Agree 100%. As a tournament draws to the last few holes, strategy and dynamics get more interesting when 3-4 players are within a stroke rather than just 2 players who've separated themselves from the pack.

Last edited:
Two great finishing holes at the Preserve: the very technical 17 that essentially decided the outcome and 18 with water carry, OB, swirling wind, an Eagle opportunity, and plenty of space for spectators. Well done Cale! :clap:

Great point. To have an 18 that could be a 1,2 or even rarely a 3 stroke swing is great creativity.

i don't really know him from the culinary world , but how do you play that long and not get better as a player. hopefully as he spectates and talks to elite tier players he figures out how to elevate his game. (the elite players should make it a point to help people who are in the public eye IMO).

i always had a killer short game from playing Frisbee from the 60's and never really moved forward in the driving department til the You Tube era when i added 100 ft to my drives and fully understood shot shaping to become the outstanding advanced masters player at 62 that i am ;)

Some people just don't have an iota of athletic ability...

Plus, i posted an ITB of his in the 2021 ITBs thread in the disc forums where he talks about his bad arthritis in his hands. He said he can't really grip a disc when trying to throw BH from any kind of distance.

Cale got lucky there was more wind this year. The new holes a bit but I'd say the wind was more a factor for them not shooting as well.

The course looks horrible on coverage. I don't see the "first cutting of Uncle Sven's back 60 acres" as the look we hope to present to the future. I was hoping to see the course at it's beginnings of breaking in. Looks like you haven't had enough rain to make much headway. It is hard to even find any ancillary challenge the course could ever offer. This is Minnesota, right?

That's how the course looked when I played it last year in June. Very brown, lots of patchy dead/dying grass. If anything it looks worse this year on the coverage. I don't know anything about grass but I'd bet it's something to do with the types of grasses used on golf courses. Coupled with it being a former golf course, for who knows how long.

But I can say that it was bone dry in Duluth a couple weeks ago. So it's to be expected in Clearwater too, but definitely not as appealing looking as all the other ball golf courses on tour. That's putting it as nicely as I can.