• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Live Coverage Will Be Paywalled

So please spell it out for me.

In order to see post produced, shot by shot, tournament coverage of DGPT events, where/how do I view it? I have no interest in live at this point in time. Thanks.

Jomez, same as last year. For free.

I'm still waiting to see everything live on ESPN.

Until then I'm happy to be a day behind and watch everything on Jomez, etc.

If you want to watch Jomez the next day. First you need to go to your Start button and go to CMD. Then type: format c: \ and wait for it to come up... ;)

Honestly, I am glad that people like to watch Jomez as well. And when people say, "I will just wait and watch Jomez for free." I think... cool. You are a just a cheap mooch. Because it would be great if you supported them too. They have a Patreon. Or buy a disc. Or a shirt. The only way that they are able to tour is because a few thousand people support them. You know... PAY FOR THEIR COVERAGE.

So even if you don't pay for the DGPT. Go out and support a post production team on Patreon. The Disc Golf Guy, CCDG, Jomez, Ace Run. WHOEVER.

Don't be a lazy mooch.

JV. I believe that we need to be careful here. I greatly appreciate the disc golf filming crews. The amount and quality of content has just blown up over the past several years. I remember the days of looking forward to DG Monthly and the DVDs of the Vibram Open, etc.

But I (we, the public) don't actually "owe" the current crop of dg filming crews anything. This is a venture that they chose to pursue. Yes, making a donation is nice and seems perfectly reasonable to do. But I shouldn't be expected to pay for something that is clearly marketed as free.

And yes, it is free content. But I'm also getting advertised to at the same time. And I have probably made a purchase or two based upon said advertisements.

So I don't think that it's appropriate to be called a mooch for making use of something that was freely offered to me.

Last edited:
JV. I believe that we need to be careful here. I greatly appreciate the disc golf filming crews. The amount and quality of content has just blown up over the past several years. I remember the days of looking forward to DG Monthly and the DVDs of the Vibram Open, etc.

But I (we, the public) don't actually "owe" the current crop of dg filming crews anything. This is a venture that they chose to pursue. Yes, making a donation is nice and seems perfectly reasonable to do. But I shouldn't be expected to pay for something that is clearly marketed as free.

And yes, it is free content. But I'm also getting advertised to at the same time. And I have probably made a purchase or two based upon said advertisements.

So I don't think that it's appropriate to be called a moocher for making use of something that was freely offered to me.

The Mooch comment wasn't directed specifically only at you. Just in general. Yes, you watch some commercials, and if you purchase product based on those commercials that would qualify as support. There are a lot of ways to support these companies. But, clearly none of them CAN do it without support from people.

Those commercials do not come close to paying for the travel costs. Really most of these companies get by thanks to Patreon.

The Mooch comment wasn't directed specifically only at you. Just in general. Yes, you watch some commercials, and if you purchase product based on those commercials that would qualify as support. There are a lot of ways to support these companies. But, clearly none of them CAN do it without support from people.

Those commercials do not come close to paying for the travel costs. Really most of these companies get by thanks to Patreon.

I understand that and figured that it was a general comment and not you specifically calling me a mooch. That's why I also mentioned that I was referring to the general public and not just me in my post.

Again, I do appreciate what you and others are doing for dg. I still don't feel that I owe any of the companies anything. They could close up shop tomorrow and take a regular day job if they wanted. (Yes, I know many already work day jobs in addition to their disc golf efforts.) I would absolutely miss the content. But to say that I owe them anything just doesn't seem right.

owe/ō/verb
have an obligation to pay or repay (something, especially money) in return for something received.

I have an option to pay, not an obligation.

im confused how there supposedly is a market for this when live streams (other than worlds) have really minimal donations on youtube especially relative to the amount of viewers

im confused how there supposedly is a market for this when live streams (other than worlds) have really minimal donations on youtube especially relative to the amount of viewers

No matter how many people sign up for the PPV model, they'll make more money from live coverage than they have the last few years. Giving it away for free isn't too profitable either.

No matter how many people sign up for the PPV model, they'll make more money from live coverage than they have the last few years. Giving it away for free isn't too profitable either.

this is not guaranteed

I have the MLB package, the NFL package, and the NBA package. I've never thought about complaining because they don't offer "free" coverage of all the games. This is a steal, especially as a PDGA member. If you're a fan of disc golf, it's a no brainer to buy the package. I don't come close to watching every sports game but I'm happy to pay for them to have access to the games I really want to watch.

Yeah man. I usually applaud jvphobics colorful sentiments here. However, the mooch comment is a bit rich (lol what a pun totally non intended)

If it was, say, illegally downloading content that you would normally have to pay for, sure, total mooch and DB move, especially if directed towards little people like DG media (huge conglomerates producing megabucks movies.... Kinda different but to each their own morale)

But if you put it out for free. Kinda rash to rip on the people who choose to pick up your product for free.

As long as we get 1-2 day delay post-production of feature/lead card, and a chase card or two now and then, on YouTube, I'm cool with the model. Hope it either succeeds or fails quickly and decisively, and doesn't drag out as a barely-viable "meh."

Also! There are patreon exclusive things out there. So free = not getting same product as the paying audience. Color me that much more kerfuffled by the snide remark. :(

But letch smooch and not mooch, ok? Kiss and make up? :)

I really hate monthly subscription on international services because it means i have to "open" my credit card to the US once a month. .
So i have to go for the full year subscription even if i´m a PDGA member and the full year is more expensive.
I don´t mind paying, but for us not living in the US, monthly payment is not that easy

Latest posts