• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Portland Open June 4-6

For the record, I was told on Facebook that there was a rain delay that caused the women to be on the course later than desired. However, take away those roughly 45 minutes and that means that they are STILL out on the course at 7pm on a Sunday.

I know the event had to change venues and all that, but I still don't get how a PDGA Elite Series event is deliberately scheduled with the full realization that players would be still out on the course competing at 7pm on a Sunday!

Whats the issue with being out playing at 7pm on a Sunday?

I know the event had to change venues and all that, but I still don't get how a PDGA Elite Series event is deliberately scheduled with the full realization that players would be still out on the course competing at 7pm on a Sunday!

Did any of the players complain about that, or is this just some armchair gripe?

I don't really see a problem with the timing. These are some of the longest days of the year; use the daylight you've got. And tournaments happen on weekends...that includes Sunday.

Whats the issue with being out playing at 7pm on a Sunday?

Personally, I would like to play MORE disc golf at 7pm on Sundays!

Personally, I would like to play MORE disc golf at 7pm on Sundays!

^ This

When FPO rounds were scheduled for early mornings there were complaints, especially for early season events when mornings were quite cold. Seems like scheduling FPO for afternoon/evening rounds was a response to that.

Could this be a no-win situation?

Just thoughts

Put the women before the mixed. Mixed complain because the women are creating larger backups. Women complain because of the early start times.

Put the mixed before the women. Have the women complained that they are being held up by the mixed? I havent heard much. Now the women potentially have to play in the dark as well.

Should we start to intermix the MPO and FPO fields so that the final mixed card and final womens card back to back. This would create issues but could be fair. This would also bump up the numbers for the womens coverage. I know I turn the stream off when the mixed division is done and Im probably not the only one.

^ This

When FPO rounds were scheduled for early mornings there were complaints, especially for early season events when mornings were quite cold. Seems like scheduling FPO for afternoon/evening rounds was a response to that.

Could this be a no-win situation?

or a no-lose situation...

I am reasonably certain that the move to FPO playing last has been based on live coverage almost solely. They want to show the MPO round in its entirety. If the ladies play first then the last (most important from viewing perspective) 9 holes of the ladies winds up overlapping the men. If the ladies play last they can show the last 9 holes in their entirety and intersperse the front 9 into the full coverage of the MPO round.

I am reasonably certain that the move to FPO playing last has been based on live coverage almost solely. They want to show the MPO round in its entirety. If the ladies play first then the last (most important from viewing perspective) 9 holes of the ladies winds up overlapping the men. If the ladies play last they can show the last 9 holes in their entirety and intersperse the front 9 into the full coverage of the MPO round.

That's how I figured it too.

Gatekeeper R3 coverage Earhart mentioned 1500 spectators, not sure if that was total tickets sold total or just for the final round.

At a bare minimum 1500 times the $30 price I could find for Friday only comes up to $45k. Not too shabby considering that's a bare minimum estimate. I'd expect prices would increase each day, with a break if you bought tickets for multiple days.

I don't know if the pricing is set by the DGPT, the venues, or a mix of both. But when tickets for the Preseve went on sale I went to go look at them for maybe driving out there for Sunday but very quickly changed my mind. $75 ($87.60 after all the extra online ticket selling fees), and no option for single day passes. That's just too much, imo. Especially when you can only buy 3 day passes. I've gone to 4 day IndyCar weekends at Road America for $100, disc golf shouldn't be as expensive as car racing. Maybe tickets are just inflated because of the limit in supply due to covid, but I think $50 for a three day pass should be the ceiling for spectators or $20 per day.

Or maybe I'm just becoming the 'old man yelling at cloud' meme because spectating used to be free basically everywhere, and I don't foresee it going back to being free after covid restrictions are fully lifted.

I don't know if the pricing is set by the DGPT, the venues, or a mix of both. But when tickets for the Preseve went on sale I went to go look at them for maybe driving out there for Sunday but very quickly changed my mind. $75 ($87.60 after all the extra online ticket selling fees), and no option for single day passes. That's just too much, imo. Especially when you can only buy 3 day passes. I've gone to 4 day IndyCar weekends at Road America for $100, disc golf shouldn't be as expensive as car racing. Maybe tickets are just inflated because of the limit in supply due to covid, but I think $50 for a three day pass should be the ceiling for spectators or $20 per day.

Or maybe I'm just becoming the 'old man yelling at cloud' meme because spectating used to be free basically everywhere, and I don't foresee it going back to being free after covid restrictions are fully lifted.

Did it come with a disc or two, shirt?

The teepad thing is a real bummer. And I realize that complaining about teepads is almost as cliche as complaining about bolf course conversions. But this particular situation deserves a little unpacking:

The DGPT had an uphill battle to get this course designed and built. I respect and appreciate all the work that went into making the event happen. The course was fair, challenging, and it looked beautiful in the footage.

But with all the things that were outside the DGPT's control with respect to the course, the tee material is one thing that they had 100% opportunity to do right. I've played on many different turf tees and never once found the turf to be too slow or too grippy. So in my mind, they really found an evil unicorn when they sourced that shag-carpet-style turf for the teepads.

And here's what really grinds my gears: the "fix" to the tee pad issue partially broke the course design. Most of the holes had some sort of gap to navigate off the tee. On several holes that was the most technical part. So doubling the width of every tee really took a lot of the teeth out of the overall design, and that's from a starting point where tight/technical lines were already in short supply.

And all of that is in response to an unforced error of tee material selection. *sigh*

One of the coverages mentioned that they trimmed the height of the teepad grass but by then the decision to allow teeing off to the side was already made so it didn't matter. They also mentioned after one of the rounds the tee off to the side move was no longer allowed on a particular hole because it was tearing up the bolf green.
Kind of surprising the very first test play through the course didn't bring up the issue with the teepads, so that it could be resolved in enough time to have the course play as intended.

I walked over a couple when I was there spectating and the blades were stiff and crunchy unlike any artificial turf I have ever felt. I'm not surprised it caused issues for people throwing with a lot more force than I ever would.

One of the courses here is on an old Muni 9 hole golf course. They used the old driving range pads as the teepads for it... and they are trash. They are too soft, so someone of any size will sink an inch into them before trying to heel spin... ouch

So viewers aren't a fan of the golf style courses. Players do not seem to be a fan of them. Who exactly is, and why do we seem to see more of them every year? I honestly don't know, can someone enlighten me? Seems like it would be more work to setup and maintain such large courses as well just for a Pro Tour event.

The same reason you buy a house already built instead of building one yourself. You generally don't have a choice, and weighing the options it's easier to piggy back off the already built home (ball golf course course infrastructure) than it is to buy land and build the house yourself.

It is the very rare exception that someone has the skills and resources to build a home from scratch just like it is the very rare exception that someone has an exclusive disc golf course that is suitable for everything the DGPT needs (Green Mountain).

Sure the already built home your buying isn't exactly what you'd want if you could build it yourself (current ball golf courses vs. Green Mountain), but just like only very few people has the ability to build their own home, only very few places in the US has exclusive property that is suitable for the DGPT.

Ball golf went through the same growing pains a long time ago too, it was a constant push pull of playing on properties that they would outgrow, like a growing kid constantly needing new clothes and shoes.

Last edited: