• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc ‘everyone bags’ but you don’t

Buzzz or Truth. I've had both in the bag before, but neither stuck. The Buzzz and Truth are a little flaky, and will turn too much on hard rips.

I bag a champion Roc3 instead, and it performs so much better.

I also used to bag a champion Teebird, and pulled it out in favor of a gold line Explorer.

I do bag a Firebird and star Destroyer. Those are both super common.

I don't throw it that often, but when you need a Firebird there is nothing else like it. It's so good at what it does.

Agreed. I don't pull my Firebird out a ton, but I love having it there. On days when the wind gets going a little I'll pull out the Firebird instead of the Roc3. Way easier to deal with. The Firebird doesn't get pushed around in wind like a mid does.

Destroyers and FD's come to mind real quick for me. Destroyers are just useless for my weak arm, so I could add Nukes, Zeuses, Bosses and the like.

I ordered a couple FD's five or so years ago but only ended up throwing one a couple times before giving them to a couple of my coworkers who'd never played before. Seemed like a solid disc for a couple newbs. Never tried one since. Seemed like a pretty nice disc the couple times I tossed it. Just never really bagged one.

Basically all mids. I have some in the bag for testing, but only throw the Comet in competitive rounds. Sometimes. Maybe once or twice. If it's too far for my putter I just go fairway driver.

no distance drivers. I have a crush on a lot of fairways and mids. as the old jazz saying goes "it ain't the meat, it's the motion".

Product contrarian here.

I don't bag any Discraft McBeth stamped discs, and I won't bag the next bandwagon stuff to come along either.

The amount a product is advertised and hyped seems to have an inverse effect on me, causing me to become less likely to purchase the product.

I find it interesting that the better I get rating-wise, the closer my bag to the generic bag. Current bagged molds: XCaliber, Destroyer, Firebird, Thunderbird, Sidewinder, FD, MD4, Zone, Invader, Link. Seems like every Innova pro's bag, but with the ability to throw a few other manufacturers in there.

The only slots I don't currently have filled are the neutral mid and the Teebird/Thunderbird/PD control driver.

I used to bag an Evidence as a straight mid, but found that my beat Emac Truth (which now flies like a -2 turn, 2 fade disc) was overlapping but obviously with a lot more lateral wriggle. I can also power up an Envy if I need to.

I bagged Getaways for years as my Thundy/PD, and still really love the mold. But this offseason I've tried slimming down molds a bit, and have been going straight from a beat Biofuzion Felon to a fresh Stag. Or in Innova terms, that's kind of like going straight from a worked in Sexton Firebird to a C-line FD. I still haven't decided whether this is a permanent change or not.

Core of my bag is pretty mainstream (Warlock(aviar clone)/Roc/Leopard/Teebird/Firebird) so I'll go with Destroyer. I threw Wraiths as my distance driver for a while, dabbled with other DD's here and there (including the Destroyer) but would always come back to the Wraith. Summer 2018 bought some Shrykes and a Force on a whim and have not looked back. though with pro's like GG, JC (RIP), and Big Jerm throwing them I may have to dabble again...

You guys have never had to really forceover a laughably overstable disc to make a quick and sharp turn, then have it flex out of it real strongly? These big short-medium distance flex shots are staples for wooded utility play.

Anybody who says Firebirds and the like are just crutches has never had to scramble out of sticky situations I guess.

Anybody who says Firebirds and the like are just crutches has never had to scramble out of sticky situations I guess.

I have a Stego and a Resistor as "crutches" in my bag. Call them what ya want, I call them useful. They absolutely do cover up form errors. I'm a dad of two with a full time job and very limited time to throw. I can't really do field work. My little free time is spent on the course actually playing. Yeah my form sucks. So I use my "crutches" to still score okay. I'm good with that.

Zone

Dont need it. I can use my Quake and Breaker to cover all the shots and then some. Adding a Zone would confuse and overlap things in my bag.

I also couldnt just replace one/both of those discs with the Zone and still cover all the shots.

I know the Zone is a great disc....its just not for me.

I don't have a great forehand, but I use the same discs i backhand. Flipping up the Bounty or my flippy Pharaoh is just as fun as the FD3 or Eagle.

I do as well, i was responding to the "useless" comment of a Firebird type disc.... Either you dont forehand, only throw 250ft(because everything is overstable at 250 max), or you dont play in the wind... Or all the above

You guys have never had to really forceover a laughably overstable disc to make a quick and sharp turn, then have it flex out of it real strongly? These big short-medium distance flex shots are staples for wooded utility play.

I use a Flick for those shots. A short, hooking sidearm that you want a heavy fade on.

FBs and such are definitely not crutches. I think anyone who says that must not know how to throw them properly.

A Firebird definitely has a time and place. In the right situation they're literally the perfect disc.

I do as well, i was responding to the "useless" comment of a Firebird type disc.... Either you dont forehand, only throw 250ft(because everything is overstable at 250 max), or you dont play in the wind... Or all the above

I FH pretty sparingly...usually a Buzzz when it happens. I've got about 340ft in the tank, 350 on a spry day, and it's not often windy where I play and I usually stay home when it is.