• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc confusion

sneakytiki

Birdie Member
So I played a round last night thinking I had 2 amps in my bag, but I accidentally grabbed a beat up volt instead of my beat up amp... they are both yellow.

Anyway, throughout the round whenever I'd go to throw my "amps", I'd throw one then the other from the same spot, try and hit the line I was going for. I was noticing I was having a huge problem keeping the beat up older "amp" on an anhyzer line compared to the new one. Never did I look at the top of the disc. I went the whole round completely thrown off by what was going on with this older amp. I get back to my car and open my trunk, sitting there on top of a pile of unbagged discs is my beat up amp. I scratch my head, look in my bag... :doh:

I think the moral of the story is dye your similarly colored discs to be unique... or at least look at them if they seem to be acting funny.

Felt like an idiot. Anyone ever mix up their discs and get real confused? Or am I the only one...

Happens all the time. I am now careful about having similar discs with the same color. When I used to cycle discs from the same run I would add sharpie marks to the edge of the rim of the disc as it beats in so I knew the more flippy ones were the ones with most notches.

I had a buddy that had a merlot champ Firebird and a merlot Champ Sidewinder in his bag. Both his go-tos. Pulled out his Firebird on this open hole with tall prairie grass and a huge headwind and ripped it on a hard hyzer only to watch it flip and burn way deep and right. Never did find that Sidewinder.

whenever i have two identicle discs in the bag (same mold/color/stamp/stampcolor) i will mark the bottom differently than the other. Sometimes that's as easy as using Red sharpie instead of black to write my name.

I had a similarly colored Champ Teebird and Champ Whippet in my bag. I went for the Whippet for a hard turning forehand. Except I accidentally grabbed the Teebird instead.

I was very confused as to way it stayed straight for as long as it did before fading.

Thankfully, it still worked out well for me.

I have a comet and a roc in my bag right now that are the same color. I've pulled out the wrong one a few times, wondered why my comet never turned or why my roc had a funky late turn.

I try to keep my discs in a specific order in my bag so I don't have to worry about grabbing the wrong disc. I've only had trouble a couple times, and it's usually when someone is fondling the plastic in my bag.

On a similar note, I always mark my PDGA number on the front of my discs in addition to the name and number on the back. In a tournament last year I was penalized two strokes after my cardmate and I accidentally putted out each other's identical looking Wizards.

I have a buddy that does this. Turns out throwing a champ Beast instead of Destroyer on a FH flex shot doesn't work very well. The sad part is both discs have intact factory stamps, but he does need glasses for reading and he's usually pretty drunk.

So you are certainly not alone, and marking is a good idea. I have seen discs marked 4-6 times with the initial of the mold on the underside of the rim- this would seem to make it pretty east to grab the right disc out of the bag without needing to look at the top or bottom. I have only seen a couple of discs marked like this, but I assume whoever did the marking did it for this reason. It will probably hurt sale/trade value, for some strange reason lots of folks seem to really hate ink.

At least you threw the wrong disc by mistake.

I can't tell you how many times I'm playing with people and they make HORRIBLY STUPID disc choices, for example, I've got a buddy that's convinced his Beast is the best headwind disc in his bag, oh, his tailwind special: a firebird. I think I've got a permanent mark from facepalming too often....

I'll never understand how people can get their discs mixed up.

How do you not know your discs well enough to tell them apart? Don't you look at them before you throw?

Who knows. I had my brain half shut off the last time I was out. I was thinking about what disc to throw and somehow grabbed my stratus without realizing it. I looked down and was like wtf is this? When and how did this get in my hand? :confused:

Oh I hate when that happens. Especially when your turnover discs suddenly and unexpectedly hyzer and your deep in the woods on the wrong side of the hole yeah wrong disc disaster. Ask me how I know?

I tried throwing a high turnover with my 147g Star Roadrunner but it faded WAYYYY early. My Pro Firebird just happens to be the same color :doh::wall:

I've been really good about this for the last 3-4 years. My bag has been pretty consistent and I can feel the difference in most discs pretty easily, even with my eyes shut... seriously. I can certainly see how it can happen, though, with more similar molds, etc.

My first or 2nd year of playing I had a Red Champion Sidewinder that was my primary driver. I had also just started throwing a Red Champion Wraith (that I really wasn't ready to throw at the time).

Anyway, in spite of the difference in rim width, I managed to throw the Wraith several times thinking it was the Sidewinder. I threw it poorly, not understanding why my "Sidewinder" kept turning left on me. I was very frustrated. Eventually, I lost my "Sidewinder" way left in the woods. Later on in the round, I found a Champion Wraith, on the edge of the woods on a parallel fairway to where I lost my "Sidewinder."

Once I got back to my car, I realized that I had left my actual Sidewinder in the car and had put the Wraith in my bag in error. So I had actually found my own disc.

As others have said, I arrange my bag by the line it is supposed to fly, the speed of the disc, and also by purpose, meaning my drivers start on the left side of my bag and the mids are on the right, with the fairways in the middle.

I try to keep my discs in a specific order in my bag so I don't have to worry about grabbing the wrong disc. I've only had trouble a couple times, and it's usually when someone is fondling the plastic in my bag.

I'm the same way. And if someone grabs something in my bag and puts it back in the wrong spot, I immediately fix it. I don't like to spend any time fumbling around in my bag.

I don't have any discs that are enough alike that I could mistake them in my bag. Closest would be a glow Teebird and glow Leopard, but the Teebird is a metalflake and the Leo isn't, so the Teebird stands out against the Leo. I do own Amps, Volts, and Shocks in the same colors, but I purposely have three different colors of them in my bag.

I also keep my bag in specific order. In the past I have nearly gone crazy thinking that I left a disc at the course just because it was in the wrong spot when I got done. I actually do that more often than I care to admit.

Last edited:
may second to this, but not super-specific. Just putter-mid-fairway-distance order.

BTW, DiscNutt123
Are you getting my PM?? Any response would be helpful.... Thanks

I'm the same way. And if someone grabs something in my bag and puts it back in the wrong spot, I immediately fix it. I don't like to spend any time fumbling around in my bag.

That sucks. I threw the wrong disc once. Now I double check the disc I am about to throw. I was playing a league night, and it was pretty dark out. I decided to throw my coyote off the tee. The hole had some water over it, but the majority of the water was on the right side off the tee box. I proceed to flip my coyote over into the water. I then realize I threw my putter and I put my coyote in my putter pocket, and the putter where I usually keep the coyote. I make sure I don't do that mistake again.

Latest posts