• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pet Peeves -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try to keep this on point. One of my biggest pet peeves in disc golf is when someone assumes that when they are in a public place with their children (i.e. disc golf course) that everyone around them has to take on the role of acting responsible and parenting their children.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!

Right on the money here. And that sure is one big horse. I never knew it possible to be able to sit so high on a horse while simultaneously having your head buried deep in the sand like an ostrich... I have never seen an ostrich riding a horse... a centaur-like creature that is half horse half ostrich... hmmm, south park could have a field day with that one.

Bottom line - it is up to the parent to teach the child right from wrong and to give the child the ability to judge for themselves. As parents, the duty is to arm the child with the best knowledge and experience to let them make their own choices. Believe it or not, they have a mind of their own and we can only mold it so much!

All the best!

BTW, I really like your sig slowroll - couldn't hold more truth

My biggest pet peeve on the course is people playing music through their tiny speakers on their phones or a horrible little radio. All you hear is this terrible, tinny noise. It doesn't matter what the music is, it sounds awful through those speakers.

Also trash or people breaking branches that got in the way of their shot.

I'm going to try to keep this on point. One of my biggest pet peeves in disc golf is when someone assumes that when they are in a public place with their children (i.e. disc golf course) that everyone around them has to take on the role of acting responsible and parenting their children.

So you're saying we shouldn't act responsibly while out in public?

DING DING DING DING DING!!!

Right on the money here. And that sure is one big horse. I never knew it possible to be able to sit so high on a horse while simultaneously having your head buried deep in the sand like an ostrich... I have never seen an ostrich riding a horse... a centaur-like creature that is half horse half ostrich... hmmm, south park could have a field day with that one.

Bottom line - it is up to the parent to teach the child right from wrong and to give the child the ability to judge for themselves. As parents, the duty is to arm the child with the best knowledge and experience to let them make their own choices. Believe it or not, they have a mind of their own and we can only mold it so much!

All the best!

BTW, I really like your sig slowroll - couldn't hold more truth

Well said, and funny to read. The lawful thing to do is call the cops when someone is breaking the law, but I don't do that. As I stated in my first post here, most of the smokers I know are not bad people, but it does bug the crap out of me when I have to circumvent holes on a public course because I know what is going to waiting on me every time at 7 oaks hole # 5.

The guys making the argument that they don't have to behave responsibly in public places are just running off at the mouth. Their whole story would change if they got busted. The fact that you are breaking the law quietly as opposed to say… discharging a firearm makes little difference. Expecting to get away with something that is against the law over the long haul in a public place makes about as much sense as going out in a rainstorm without your raincoat on purpose. You aren't at home boys, when you bring your stuff out in the street it becomes all of our business. I go to church with several police officers and most days they have better things to do in TN than shakedown stoners. They do however send plain-clothed officers out to public parks looking for anything suspicious from time to time… FYI your cloud of smoke would qualify as suspicious. I just would think you would have enough common sense to understand why this issue might bother a father trying to keep his kids dry in a rainstorm. The world is a rough place, but public parks are designed for enjoyment and recreation for all citizens. You are in the wrong, and all your rationalizations and excuses are merely lip service. You and I both know what would happen if an officer rolled up on you smoking on the course and all your chat room bravado would quickly vanish.

I don't like kids to be around smoke either but studies have shown the most harmful drug of all is alcohol, and everyone laughs about the prohibition era and idolize moonshine runners as the forefathers of US auto racing now. The only constant is change.

i second the fact that alcohol is worse than weed

I hate when people tell my discs what to do, "Get it" "Roll" etc. My discs do whatever I tell them to do. Your not helping. Littering and f-ing the course up is also a problem. Mainly though, I can't stand the people who expect you to help them look for their disc even though they never see where it lands. Especially in the snow. Hell, half the reason I got better at this sport is so I don't have to be up to my ass in cabbage all day. And one time at a tournament this guy kept calling me "Hoss." I started calling him "Hoss" too but with disdain and he got the idea and quit saying it.

i think its annoying when people say that "frolf" is a game for potheads. when they say, " well the reason we call "disk golf" "frolf" is because its a game for people to go throw a disk then smoke some weed" its like the game is an excuse just to smoke, i would rather not go out and play to watch people goof off on the course walking around high so you cant play your serious game of dg with your friends. basicly some people think the game was invented for potheads.

i think its annoying when people say that "frolf" is a game for potheads. when they say, " well the reason we call "disk golf" "frolf" is because its a game for people to go throw a disk then smoke some weed" its like the game is an excuse just to smoke, i would rather not go out and play to watch people goof off on the course walking around high so you cant play your serious game of dg with your friends. basicly some people think the game was invented for potheads.

You're mother never taught you how to share? If they're doing it at a tournament it's one thing, but rec rounds are just that, rec rounds. Don't hate on people because they don't have the same mentality towards the game as yourself.

I started playing this game because it was a good excuse to drink beer. I played like that for years. Only more recently did I start taking it a little more seriously. I think the game was invented to have fun. Obviously peoples ideas of fun are different. Who's to say what's more fun?

PS

It's "disc" not "disk". ;)

Well Levi, it wasn't invented for pot heads... but look how many people are high at Lum park. On any given day probably 25-40%.

I guess everyone is just saying that people who don't approach the game the same way they do is slightly annoying?

That's perfectly ok....we see the world through one lens, our own.

My #2 pet peeve on the DG course is courses that don't make it clear which way you need to go to get to the next hole. I've seen little arrows zip tied to the bottom of baskets pointing you in the right direction that look like an easy fix for this. Not everyone has caught on to this, but as locals we sometimes take stuff like this for granted on our own courses.

Back on track here...

I dislike a wall of trees shortly in front of the tee pad. I have a course near me that has 2 full mature trees about 30' past the tee. You have to rely on luck more than skill to get past the trees.

Back on track here...

I dislike a wall of trees shortly in front of the tee pad. I have a course near me that has 2 full mature trees about 30' past the tee. You have to rely on luck more than skill to get past the trees.

I try to rely on skill, not luck, when hitting a line.

I think my #1 pet peeve is when you let people play through and then they throw multiple discs right on the hole you let them pass on, while you are waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.