• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Is there a better way to represent Disc Golf than with a Disc, Basket, and Chains in the logo? Plus, a recognizable color motif that is synonymous with American Professional Sports is icing on the cake.

You must not have seen the front of the shirt before posting so quickly :doh:

12471627_961502693941412_4709376688696244996_o.jpg

http://discgolfprotour.storenvy.com/products/15665679-watch-and-grow-the-sport-tee

Most people have no idea what a disc golf basket is..

Again, the front of the shirt...

And, I'm surprised you do since I never see you near one in your 'videos'.

Watch.
And grow the sport.

You should have stopped here.

Is worse than #growthesport.

Nothing can be worse than ANY hashtag.

Hell ill buy one...

Says the man who doesn't get the message of the shirt...

Yeah watching the disc golf pro tour will grow disc golf...

:roll eyes:

For an avid 'Sports Promotor' as your FB page claims you to be, this is a very sad quote. Go take a marketing class (specifically digital marketing) and then say this.

Well, DGPT, I love following the big tourneys, so I WILL be watching. And I also wish you luck in acheiving your goals.

(Btw, a tourney at the TPC of Scottsdale would be insane. Could you imagine playing a disc golf hole with a full crowd on 16? Wow)

If you want to make a bet let's bet on when you pay someone 50k for winning an event and when a tourney will be broadcast on real tv....none of this espn3 bs.....neither one of those is ever happening. When the best season in the history of disc golf barely pays enough official money to tour (yes I know innova gave paul lots of money and the 5th wheel) you start to realize just how far the sport is from mainstream success. I am so sick of everyone thinking disc golf is the next big thing.....it's a fun fringe sport that we enjoy playing (not watching) and that a huge majority don't know anything about and would never consider watching even if it was presented to them in a universal way. I'm speaking about the US (I know someone will bring up Scandinavian countries like Finland Sweden etc.) only.

I'll take this bet. If we don't start naming some good sponsors - which will primarily be helping to make the live scoring, stat keeping, recap shows, and marketing a possibility - by the end of the month, I'll agree with you and send you 10 Pro Tour discs, signed by me, that we are already behind schedule on getting sponsors to help grow the sport.

What will you offer up if you are wrong? It must be agreed by the community here to be comparable to my offering. I have 20 days to succeed or fail.
Watch. And grow the sport.

This is absolutely a fair opinion. The PDGA has been trying for 12 years with the NT and what have we got? Not much in terms of outside sponsorship and increasing spectators.

I'll offer you the same bet about getting some good sponsors for the tour by the end of the month.

If this sport is not taken seriously, no company would put up any money to sponsor it. However, if corporations put up money to sponsor the tour, then that means that they recognize disc golf is ... a sport with 10-20% growth for 30+ years, with a rabid and growing fanbase (which fits a great demographic, btw), and an opportunity to get in on the ground floor ... is a place where their dollars should be able to help ROI.

I'll offer you the same bet as the two folks above. You game? :)

------------------

Chris, there are actually over 5,200 in the states and over 6,500 in the world!
Over 1,000 courses have put in the ground in the USA in the last three years!

------------------

I agree entirely. They both need to happen. The PDGA (and the Ace Race, Birdie Bash, Trilogy Challenge, World's Biggest, Ice Bowl, and many others thru organized and good old "peer to peer" (inviting your friends to play) networking) has been successfully pushing the grass roots.

The Pro Tour is building the top of the pyramid so, as these grass roots efforts are successful, the new players to the game will have pros to point to to legitimize the sport to their non-discing peers, as well as learning the culture of the disc from the execution of Pro Tour events.

------------------

Amen. Watch. And grow the sport.

10414601_961502700608078_306356202566398261_n.jpg

http://discgolfprotour.storenvy.com/products/15665679-watch-and-grow-the-sport-tee[/QUOTE]

Is there a better way to represent Disc Golf than with a Disc, Basket, and Chains in the logo? Plus, a recognizable color motif that is synonymous with American Professional Sports is icing on the cake.

You must not have seen the front of the shirt before posting so quickly :doh:

Sorry but the DGPT logo is pretty horrible, but thats what you get with 5 minutes of work and a color concept.

Sorry but the DGPT logo is pretty horrible, but thats what you get with 5 minutes of work and a color concept.

omg now that you say this, I think you're right...

we should totally make a 'The Logo' play with your PDGA pic:

horsman_zps05qmadlk.jpg

BTW, your rating is 979

Last edited:

Steve dodge IMO isnt a marketing genuis by any means... Hes a unique guy with some fun ideas thats for sure. Not sure what he always thinks/says translates to the masses though.

Its not like vibram discs are even that big of a deal given the huge world wide brand name of vibram.

Steve dodge IMO isnt a marketing genuis by any means... Hes a unique guy with some fun ideas thats for sure. Not sure what he always thinks/says translates to the masses though.

Its not like vibram discs are even that big of a deal given the huge world wide brand name of vibram.

Agreed. I said it from the beginning, it all just seems a bit rushed to me. I hope he can pull it off and that it is everything he wants it to be but I still dont think the sport is there. Ill happily be watching every event at home and playing none of them.

I am so sick of everyone thinking disc golf is the next big thing.....it's a fun fringe sport that we enjoy playing (not watching) and that a huge majority don't know anything about and would never consider watching even if it was presented to them in a universal way. I'm speaking about the US (I know someone will bring up Scandinavian countries like Finland Sweden etc.) only.

I bought a chromecast with the specific purpose of watching these broadcasts on my big TV, and we have people over to watch. It is an awesome product to watch if you do enjoy the game...

No one's forcing you to be here, or play...

It's obviously another take on the classic MLB logo that inspired many others, however I would probably like to see a silhouette of a player throwing than the equipment we use. However the basket is unique to this particular disc sport, opposed to other disc sports so I can see where that came from.

omg now that you say this, I think you're right...
BTW, your rating is 979

Boy the off-season is vicious isn't it :sick:

I am so sick of everyone thinking disc golf is the next big thing.....it's a fun fringe sport that we enjoy playing (not watching) and that a huge majority don't know anything about and would never consider watching even if it was presented to them in a universal way. I'm speaking about the US (I know someone will bring up Scandinavian countries like Finland Sweden etc.) only.
What people who are enthralled by any fringe activity and wish to take it to the masses seem to forget is that there are a whole lot of other fringe activities out there considering the same thing, some of which are easier to present to the masses than disc golf is, and there's always a new one coming along. There are only so many eyes out there when it comes to seeking potential sponsorships.

re:vibram

Boy the off-season is vicious isn't it :sick:

I tried to make an all vibram bag once but got tired of waiting for enough molds to even make it happen. Look at other new companies who have come up in recent years.

Is the birdie bash even a big deal? There is one event with them as the presenting sponsor that im aware of and its their OWN event. 420 debacle LOL. Disc colors. Team Memebers dipping out. Lack of forum/course presence.

Why is being real a bad thing? Do you ride a unicorn?

What people who are enthralled by any fringe activity and wish to take it to the masses seem to forget is that there are a whole lot of other fringe activities out there considering the same thing, some of which are easier to present to the masses than disc golf is, and there's always a new one coming along. There are only so many eyes out there when it comes to seeking potential sponsorships.

This time a million.....very well said.

Unless you have ever played the Vibram Open or the GoPro Games or been a part of an event Steve Dodge runs, I think non of you have any idea how great of events this guy puts on and how much help he gets to make them happen.

They aren't just disc golf tournaments. They are disc golf festivities with lots of other things going on to make them fun.

Once you play one of his events, you might understand why he was voted TD of the year before.

As for being a fringe sport?? I don't know? I'm pretty sure there are more people who have played disc golf than have skateboarded, rode a motocross bike, etc etc etc.

While the sport may never see huge sponsors, I believe the sport is well beyond the fringe aspect. There are way more people playing disc golf on the courses around here then there are people using the tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball courts, etc etc. And the parks recognize this with added man-hours being used for disc golf course upkeep.

WE are well beyond the fringe, and people are successfully living off the sport.

I would add one thing to this, DG is the next big participation sport. I agree, it doesn't have the structure to get eyes and money like other sports, but if you take a more reasonable "sport" say walking for exercise, I'd love to see DG have the "footprint" that has! For no other reason that it would drive course development. I'm not saying it will, but that is a reasonable target.

Unless you have ever played the Vibram Open or the GoPro Games or been a part of an event Steve Dodge runs, I think non of you have any idea how great of events this guy puts on and how much help he gets to make them happen.

They aren't just disc golf tournaments. They are disc golf festivities with lots of other things going on to make them fun.

Once you play one of his events, you might understand why he was voted TD of the year before.

As for being a fringe sport?? I don't know? I'm pretty sure there are more people who have played disc golf than have skateboarded, rode a motocross bike, etc etc etc.

While the sport may never see huge sponsors, I believe the sport is well beyond the fringe aspect. There are way more people playing disc golf on the courses around here then there are people using the tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball courts, etc etc. And the parks recognize this with added man-hours being used for disc golf course upkeep.

WE are well beyond the fringe, and people are successfully living off the sport.

Have to disagree. I grew up in rural Oregon, everyone rode moto. Most casually, but i knew more guys that rode bikes in that one small town than the total number of people I know who play DG in Houston. As for skateboarding, really? In my neighborhood of 5000 houses, I'm the only regular DG player, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the households have a skateboard, even more have a skateboard like device.

Latest posts