• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

i don't think anecdotes are gonna cut it either way. I think the best bet is to try it, and gauge it's success in viewership and sponsorship. I can't WAIT to watch.
And grow the sport.

Yeah watching the disc golf pro tour will grow disc golf...

:rolleyes:

Um, yes. This is our exact model - except for the eye roll. ;-)

If you want to make a bet let's bet on when you pay someone 50k for winning an event and when a tourney will be broadcast on real tv....none of this espn3 bs.....neither one of those is ever happening. When the best season in the history of disc golf barely pays enough official money to tour (yes I know innova gave paul lots of money and the 5th wheel) you start to realize just how far the sport is from mainstream success. I am so sick of everyone thinking disc golf is the next big thing.....it's a fun fringe sport that we enjoy playing (not watching) and that a huge majority don't know anything about and would never consider watching even if it was presented to them in a universal way. I'm speaking about the US (I know someone will bring up Scandinavian countries like Finland Sweden etc.) only.

I'll take that as a no to my offer. Either way, I'm still going to try and make some announcements by the end of the month. That is now my goal. Thank you for inspiring me! Stay tuned ...

Regarding your counter offer, sure, I'll take these bets. Right now we are paying about $2,500 to the winner of the big events. Presuming a continued 20% growth in the sport, plus a 20% increase in the spectator growth (now that there is someone concentrating on it), that extrapolates out to an average payout to the MPO winner of $10,000 in 2021 and $50,000 in 2026. Your forgot to mention what we are betting.

The plan for "real TV" is an edited broadcast in 2017, multiple edited broadcasts in 2018, and at least one live broadcast in 2019. IMO, before we get on "real TV" we need to build the spectator base so we don't fall on our faces with awful ratings.

Note: I use quotes around "real TV" because I believe internet TV and real TV are going to become quite jumbled in the coming decade, right as we come of age.

Sorry but the DGPT logo is pretty horrible, but thats what you get with 5 minutes of work and a color concept.

Ha! It only took us two minutes to make, and we had no color concept, we just used the Canadian colors and added blue, which is my fave color! :p

What people who are enthralled by any fringe activity and wish to take it to the masses seem to forget is that there are a whole lot of other fringe activities out there considering the same thing, some of which are easier to present to the masses than disc golf is, and there's always a new one coming along. There are only so many eyes out there when it comes to seeking potential sponsorships.

Again, I will offer up my bet. If, by the end of the month, we do not have any significant sponsors, I will send you 10 signed Pro Tour discs and write on each one that you were right and we did not meet our sponsorship goals as fast as I thought.

What will you offer up?

Of course there are other sports that are successfully growing (I am a big fan of the MLU and AUDL) and with good planning, controlled growth on a sustainable model, and an ever improving product to present to their fans, they will succeed. As, I believe, will we.

Agreed. I said it from the beginning, it all just seems a bit rushed to me. I hope he can pull it off and that it is everything he wants it to be but I still dont think the sport is there. Ill happily be watching every event at home and playing none of them.

This has been planned, in spreadsheets, since 2013. Many budgets, concepts, discussions, and proofs of concept (at Vibram Opens and GoPro Games specifically) later, we are at this place, ready to move forward.

If it seems rushed, that is on me. You commented earlier that the website wording was poor, to that I say thank you for taking the time to read the site. To everyone reading, please help us and let us know if you think something on the website or social media should be done differently or better. You are our front lines, keep us on target.

Regarding the last sentence, we are on the same page. Thank you. I hope 99% of disc golfers are with us (and the other 1% are trying to thrill us by competing on tour!)

Well, DGPT, I love following the big tourneys, so I WILL be watching. And I also wish you luck in achieving your goals.

i don't think anecdotes are gonna cut it either way. I think the best bet is to try it, and gauge it's success in viewership and sponsorship. I can't WAIT to watch.
And grow the sport.

I bought a chromecast with the specific purpose of watching these broadcasts on my big TV, and we have people over to watch. It is an awesome product to watch if you do enjoy the game...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

----------

Also, let's please refrain from personal attacks.
And lastly, Let's go Bucs!

The last in our Define the sport series.

Define Your Game: Clutch.

Enjoy.

...dont get me wrong either i love all things DG. Just poking you guys in the side as imagine you know would come with a new idea. Nothing truly bad about it. Your presence here is very respectable and enjoy reading the posts. Keep up the hard work and I hope the best.

You. Know. Ill. Watch. :p

I normally do not watch too many videos online, or sports in general online or on television, because I am the type of person who would rather be out playing and do not like to be reminded that I am not out playing. It really takes something special for me to get watching. That is why I am hoping something like this will succeed because that will only push innovated ways of getting me to watch.

Of the 3, I am most optimistic about the DGPT because it can simply improve upon the NT model with more attention to detail.

I think you have done a great job of responding to criticism and I wish you the best in the months ahead.

Ha! It only took us two minutes to make, and we had no color concept, we just used the Canadian colors and added blue, which is my fave color! :p

Liar....it took you two minutes and ten seconds. :thmbup:

So I'm gonna weigh in two cents worth. I still remember when Steve got going and the goals he set up front. I'd say he's delivered on them pretty well. I don't know what will happen here, but I certainly wouldn't bet against it. Best of luck!

I think the logo is awesome :clap:, it has that American colors, pro sport look to it, and we kinda made fun of the big guy leagues feel to it.

Logos are supposed to be eye catching, clear, and be able to convey what it is about quickly with out a long look/study to figure it out. Mission accomplished :thmbup:. Simplicity is the hallmark of genius....right?

Question to DGPT, what brand of tee is the new watch/grow on? Is it a 100% cotton, 50/50, or a newer style 60/40 blend? Just trying to figure out what size to order on it. I would like it to still fit after it goes in the dryer for the first time :p.

JMO here but I think that tee would be better with just the "watch." on the back. I really dont care for all the #grow this and that for the sport :|.

Last edited:
I think the logo is awesome :clap:, it has that American colors, pro sport look to it, and we kinda made fun of the big guy leagues feel to it.

Logos are supposed to be eye catching, clear, and be able to convey what it is about quickly with out a long look/study to figure it out. Mission accomplished :thmbup:. Simplicity is the hallmark of genius....right?

Question to DGPT, what brand of tee is the new watch/grow on? Is it a 100% cotton, 50/50, or a newer style 60/40 blend? Just trying to figure out what size to order on it. I would like it to still fit after it goes in the dryer for the first time :p.

JMO here but I think that tee would be better with just the "watch." on the back. I really dont care for all the #grow this and that for the sport :|.

Thanks on the logo. There will always be disagreement - heck, some folks like the Jacksonville Jaquars - but I agree that it does its job of saying we are a tour, a north american tour, and we are the professional north american disc golf tour, very well.

Regarding the blend / brand of the shirt, I will find out and post back when I do.

Regarding adjusting to just WATCH on the back of the shirt, gosh I really like the simplicity of it. I don't like that it removes the community aspect of watching being an activity we can all do to help grow the sport, but it simplifies the message to a single word, which I love. This is a TBD.

The WATCH. And grow the sport. shirts are: Next level apparel n6210 cvc poly cotton blend.

We only make shirts that I am willing to wear, and my skin is baby smooth.
These shirts are amazingly soft. Wearing this shirt is like taking a bath in kitten and puppy plush toys.

http://discgolfprotour.storenvy.com/

The WATCH. And grow the sport. shirts are: Next level apparel n6210 cvc poly cotton blend.

We only make shirts that I am willing to wear, and my skin is baby smooth.
These shirts are amazingly soft. Wearing this shirt is like taking a bath in kitten and puppy plush toys.

http://discgolfprotour.storenvy.com/

I pretty much refuse to wear anything other than a soft tee these days.

12471627_961502693941412_4709376688696244996_o.jpg

http://discgolfprotour.storenvy.com/products/15665679-watch-and-grow-the-sport-tee

Looks good. Put the logo on sleeveless shirts and jorts and they will be hot sellers.

It would be pretty sweet to see all the spectators at these events wearing these. Maybe a little cheesy and a bit cultish, but might be cool.

Latest posts