• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf rake!

Eric I actually call the numbers on the back lol so I wouldnt call those stolen. I got a free six pack last week for returning 2 discs to the same guy. I do keep and sell the ones with no names or numbers though.

Well, then where's your for sale thread. I'm not convinced, if your legit you sure as hell went with a really poor worded first post.

You have a rake? Willing to show it?

Something like this:

http://www.pondboy.com/32-weed-rake-epr-detail.htm

If you google "pond rake", you'll see a lot of examples. Which is what I thought this thread was going to be about. They're for clearing weeds out of ponds, but dredge up discs quite well, too. Like the golden retriever, assuming the bottom is smooth. I also know people who have hand-made them out of PVC and assorted hardware.

I do not sell on here. I have not been playing disc golf very long. I only know a few guys who do play. I started this post to see what people think about it because of how people have been acting while I am raking, its sort of awkward. My first distance driver was a Champ Valk which I started to get the hang of and lost in a pond. I had a buddy buy the starter pack and he lost his DX leapord in the same pond. I figured many people lost discs in the pond so I decided to make a rake. The buddy who got me into disc golf had one of his discs returned to him and he told me I should call the numbers on the discs. So that is exactly what I did. However, I have found many discs with no names or numbers on them. You may disagree with me here but those ones I keep. I have people who have thanked me and said just keep it (usually a junkier disc). no need to be mean JACK!

I do not sell on here. I have not been playing disc golf very long. I only know a few guys who do play. I started this post to see what people think about it because of how people have been acting while I am raking, its sort of awkward. My first distance driver was a Champ Valk which I started to get the hang of and lost in a pond. I had a buddy buy the starter pack and he lost his DX leapord in the same pond. I figured many people lost discs in the pond so I decided to make a rake. The buddy who got me into disc golf had one of his discs returned to him and he told me I should call the numbers on the discs. So that is exactly what I did. However, I have found many discs with no names or numbers on them. You may disagree with me here but those ones I keep. I have people who have thanked me and said just keep it (usually a junkier disc). no need to be mean JACK!

Not being mean jack. Don't be so sensitive. I'm busting on you (partially). You still haven't proved your not a dog as once accused of being. You asked a question worded like that, it's post #1 for you, why are you shocked at people's answers? I'm sure this isn't your first time in a forum so I don't need to explain to you why people are think TROLL in circumstances like this, or what trolling is. This is a sport that isn't as well known as other sports and requires people to represent it well to give a good public image, in order to spread the game and give it more exposure. Etiquette is a big part of representing disc golf. Snatching up discs is no way to do that.

Now on another note, Jack, I am Uncle Si for a Halloween party tonight. Assuming you understand the jack reference, Jack.

Good on you for calling the numbers back. If there's no numbers on the discs, check for a lost and found. If no lost and found, well...some local areas have a facebook page you can post on. If that's not the case for you fine, you're in the clear IMO.

David that would work well but can you throw it out far?

I can throw it about 60' out or more. It's pretty lightweight; we put heavy rope on it and the rope slows it as much as anything. Keep in mind that I can only throw a disc about 270', so I'm sure many people could throw it further.

(For the really desperate, one person can carry it out in a boat and drop it, while the other drags it back. Or drop it from one corner of the pond, and pull it over as much of the pond as you've got rope for).

It lands well about 90% of the time; the rest, the rope tangles and the rake lands sideways, and it's a wasted effort.

....Keep in mind that my circumstance is different than yours. I have a private course with a pond, into which a lot of discs are thrown. I'm dragging them up to put in a Lost & Found, or hopefully to find my own.

If you're dragging up discs on a public course, just to do it---not in search of your own---you can expect a negative reaction.

If you post in a thread about keeping discs, you're guaranteed one. If you're new to the forums, understand that there have been hundreds of threads about keeping discs, and they get pretty heated. And each new one goes, well, like this one is.

Something like this:

http://www.pondboy.com/32-weed-rake-epr-detail.htm

If you google "pond rake", you'll see a lot of examples. Which is what I thought this thread was going to be about. They're for clearing weeds out of ponds, but dredge up discs quite well, too. Like the golden retriever, assuming the bottom is smooth. I also know people who have hand-made them out of PVC and assorted hardware.

That looks like that TV antenna.. 90 bucks? no way, I bet you could just use an old rake to make that. unfortually I could see it snagging on rocks and crap/

That looks like that TV antenna.. 90 bucks? no way, I bet you could just use an old rake to make that. unfortually I could see it snagging on rocks and crap/

Ours is about 3' per side, so it covers a lot more area than a rake. And if you used a rake, half the time it would land tines-up and not grab much.

But you're right about it snagging. We only use it where that's not a problem.

It's intended job is to tear aquatic weeds off the bottom, not retrieve discs. It does that well.

If the $90 is too steep, you can make one on similar design.

I'll show you mine, I have the rope going through the entire rake and no glue. I dont glue it in case it does snag the tines can twist or worst case scenario the pvp pipe breaks but can be replaceable.

Every once in a while it'll need some TLC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-31-17-50-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-31-17-50-07.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_2014-10-31-17-47-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-31-17-47-43.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 84
Looks pretty good. If I made one I'd be tempted to add a spike to the sidebars, to reduce the chance that discs just roll off the rake.

Could of used one last week, I was playing a round with a guy who threw his teebird into a murky pond..he was pretty upset about it he was really attached to it, and looked so long he didnt play the rest of the holes.

Yhey usually flip up and the water pushes it flat against the tines. I want to add another 100ft rope to it so I can drag accross entire ponds. It is fun raking, its the hunt. I once pulled in a razor scooter lol. Im going to power wash it and give it to my son.

Could of used one last week, I was playing a round with a guy who threw his teebird into a murky pond..he was pretty upset about it he was really attached to it, and looked so long he didnt play the rest of the holes.

That sucks pretty bad, Ive been raking and seen discs go in. I have helped them get their disc out they get pretty excited. Thats about the only good reactions I get when people see me with the rake lol.

I just take a new player with me whenever I go to a course with water and explain on the way that they are in charge of all disc retrievals. I don't explain that it may involve water till one splashes down. Its a good system, I recommend it . :)