• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

BrohanSolo said:
A lot of these workouts seem to be pretty strength based, and while strength is a very important, POWER is what you want if you're looking to develop on the course distance. If you're doing a 5 day routine (2 days rest) at least 3 days should be dedicated to power type lifts (medicine ball slams, rotational throws, cleans, etc...). You don't need to distance run at all concidering that disc golf is one of the only pure Anaerobic activities. I have my degree in clinical exercise science and my CSCS from the NSCA, and I am trying to develop a program that disc golfers can use because, as Blake noted above, there isn't much out there as far as actual research based programs that have proven results.
Could you explain the difference between lifting for power vs. lifting for strength? It sounds like you are suggesting Plyometrics as opposed to heavy compound lifts but I would want a further explanation as it intrigues me. Plus, I want to de-broscience this thread as much as possible because some has sneaked in (not from you).

uNicedmeMan said:
Dig It said:
Plus, I want to de-broscience this thread as much as possible because some has sneaked in (not from you).

Lol @ broscience. I had to look it up.
I don't pretend to understand all things exercise, but I know the only way to lose weight being you have to walk for 6 hours a day is absolute broscience.

haha broscience, nice. I feel ya on that... it's not all about the weight.

Power Vs. Strength; think of it this way, strength as we are talking about here is slow strength; it's all about work, force times distance. With power, you add in a speed component. For instance, to build good shoulder strength you would want to do things like military press, forward/lateral deltoid raises, shrugs... things like that. For power, you want some external resistance (weights, weighted vest) but there is a speed component. It's kind of like plyometrics, but plyos aren't only for lower body. I do plyometric pull ups, which are great.

My favorite disc golf exercises are medicine ball power exercises. Medicine ball slams, which require a 2-5 kg (2.2 lbs per kilo), are great for developing powerful shoulders. All you do is take the medicine ball in both hands(not too heavy, as the speed at which you release the ball is more important in these), hold it just behind your head, and using your abs and arms/shoulders throw it into the ground just like throwing a tom/thumber. Make sure your arms follow through, as stopping them before can cause injury to your rotator cuff. Rotational medicine ball throws are also awesome. This requires a slightly heavier medicine ball (6-8 kg). Get into an athletic stance with your left hip towards a concrete wall (do not do on drywall or any surface that isn't solid, you will break through the wall!) Athletic stance is definsive stance, Knees slightly bent back straight. Hold the ball in your right pocket (not actual pocket, just area) with your left hand on the bottom of the ball and your right on the top of the ball. Keep the ball on this plane as you throw it, the momentum starts at your back leg (right), rotate at the pelvis and shoulders and throw that SOB as hard as you can while staying low. Your back leg will come off of the floor after it leaves your hand for the same reason that following through as mentioned above. Repeat on the opposite side. 4 sets of 6-8 reps should be good for both.

Another thing to consider that I think is really important is when doing strength building exercises to not forget about the eccentric portion (when you are lowering the weight in bench/ bicep curl / military press. Make sure it's nice and slow, this helps so much with deceleration, which is the number 1 cause of injuries in throwing sports.

BrohanSolo said:
haha broscience, nice. I feel ya on that... it's not all about the weight.

Power Vs. Strength; think of it this way, strength as we are talking about here is slow strength; it's all about work, force times distance. With power, you add in a speed component. For instance, to build good shoulder strength you would want to do things like military press, forward/lateral deltoid raises, shrugs... things like that. For power, you want some external resistance (weights, weighted vest) but there is a speed component. It's kind of like plyometrics, but plyos aren't only for lower body. I do plyometric pull ups, which are great.

My favorite disc golf exercises are medicine ball power exercises. Medicine ball slams, which require a 2-5 kg (2.2 lbs per kilo), are great for developing powerful shoulders. All you do is take the medicine ball in both hands(not too heavy, as the speed at which you release the ball is more important in these), hold it just behind your head, and using your abs and arms/shoulders throw it into the ground just like throwing a tom/thumber. Make sure your arms follow through, as stopping them before can cause injury to your rotator cuff. Rotational medicine ball throws are also awesome. This requires a slightly heavier medicine ball (6-8 kg). Get into an athletic stance with your left hip towards a concrete wall (do not do on drywall or any surface that isn't solid, you will break through the wall!) Athletic stance is definsive stance, Knees slightly bent back straight. Hold the ball in your right pocket (not actual pocket, just area) with your left hand on the bottom of the ball and your right on the top of the ball. Keep the ball on this plane as you throw it, the momentum starts at your back leg (right), rotate at the pelvis and shoulders and throw that SOB as hard as you can while staying low. Your back leg will come off of the floor after it leaves your hand for the same reason that following through as mentioned above. Repeat on the opposite side. 4 sets of 6-8 reps should be good for both.

Another thing to consider that I think is really important is when doing strength building exercises to not forget about the eccentric portion (when you are lowering the weight in bench/ bicep curl / military press. Make sure it's nice and slow, this helps so much with deceleration, which is the number 1 cause of injuries in throwing sports.

Thanks for that. It's making more sense to me. I am at a crossroads with my conditioning because I have spent the last 2 months on StrongLifts 5x5 and just couldn't eat enough to keep up with it and now I need to add some different exercises to help with DG and just forget about bulking. I will never give up my core compound lifts like OHP/Squats/Bench/Deads/DBRows but adding these MedBall work outs sound awesome to add in along with the Kettle Bells I've always wanted for grip strength.

oh yea you definately don't want to get rid of those, they're great lifts. Forget about bulking up, it won't do you much good. You have to carry the engine... if that makes any sense. Hypertrophy (muscle building) can lead to a decreased range of motion on matter how much you stretch/ or the ROM of your exercises. Bulk is good in moderation for disc golfers. And always keep in mind that its not the weight you can do, cause when you think about it, in disc golf you're never really moving more than you're body weight, so I think there is a plateau for weight. After that you can start shortening up rest periods, increasing reps or speed of rep (faster concentric and slower eccentric is awesome once you get good technique at anything, eccentric being the lowering phase, and concentric being the lifting phase).

I have been playing disc golf for 4 monthes now, and in that 4 monthes I have lost 32 pounds. Three times a week I also hit the heavy bag for half an hour, my spinning back hand has really help me with my snap, or my snap has really help the spin on my backhand. On off days I lift in light reps for 45 minutes. I use lights weights, lift fast and lower slower. Mostly shrugs, over head press, and dead lift. I rarely feel fatigued any more and I am loving the sport and the interest it has also instilled in me to live healthier.

Dig It said:
Could you explain the difference between lifting for power vs. lifting for strength? It sounds like you are suggesting Plyometrics as opposed to heavy compound lifts but I would want a further explanation as it intrigues me. Plus, I want to de-broscience this thread as much as possible because some has sneaked in (not from you).

Rippetoe addresses this specifically in Practical Programming for Strength Training. It's a good read. In a nutshell guys like powerlifters are only concerned with strength. For example, a heavy deadlift that takes 3-5 seconds to complete a rep demonstrates a great deal of strength. Guys like olympic lifters are interested in explosive power required to throw something over their head or up to their shoulders. The weight will be somewhat lower for an equally elite athlete, but the lift will take place in less than a second for a heavy power clean. The power generated by the olympic lifter is greater because power = work/time.

masterbeato said:
i also do a lot of stretching exercises many times a day, given how much you stretch, the more you stretch the less you have to do it so at least stretch once a day every single day.

here is a few examples of some really really good stretches:

random basic stretches
http://www.itallershoes.com/grow-taller-by-streching

lower back - this has helped my back you can never believe
http://www.lower-back-pain-answers.com/morning-stretch.html
http://www.lower-back-pain-answers.com/spinal-twist-stretch.html

Gluteal
http://www.lower-back-pain-answers.com/gluteal-stretches.html

i will update more when i have more time but these are really good stretches to do.

I've been struggling with lower back pain for years and had physical therapy and blah blah blah. Long story short, I just tried these stretches and they really did the trick. Thanks :D

Try out deep stomach muscle workouts. They do wonder to pain relief. I know a guy who thought he couldn't play in a tourny having hurt his back in warming up. Two minutes of those and went to train the holes and finished the tourney. You can see him in action with a still hurting back here: http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/8/nZSHOJBu6m8 and don't forget the other parts of that round. The guy i'm talking of has the white support in his knee. It was great that he got to play because he got to play with Feldy and it's always good to see Finish champions in action. Especially so up close to them.

Deep stomach muscles support the spine so it also helps to reduce pain by prevention later on. Do you have scoliosis or have you been checked for it? It's pretty common for women and if i've understood correctly it can show up after any pregnancy as pain. Despite having had no troubles up to that. None of us are getting any younger so a little collapsing of vertebrae under added weight wouldn't surprise me.

I don't have tme to check out those links now but yoga pose palm tree should be mandatory for every disc golfer each day. And Cobra can be helpful too. Palm tree done correctly is murder on the muscles meaning you'll benefit from it in your playing and it is super fast result giving. That can help with deep stomach muscles too so that may be a reason why it works so fast. It's a life saver. I would have played a lot less last year without doing that pose and reducing pain after field practice rapid fire. Of hundreds of drives per session.

Speaking of lower back pain, the past week or so I've been seriously thinking about a new office chair. I've tried various ergonomic models before (Aeron, Mirra, etc.) without any real difference over the cheap Ikea one I'm stuck with now. This chair looks totally different though, and has my hopes up: http://www.swingchair.com -- If all goes well over the next few weeks I will probably get one to try.

Chairs can be vital for health. Getting a chair that has adjustable seat angle, lower back support and back and overall height with the option for adjustable arm supports can get pricey but having a good one is almost like getting treatment if you've got an achy back.

JR said:
Chairs can be vital for health. Getting a chair that has adjustable seat angle, lower back support and back and overall height with the option for adjustable arm supports can get pricey but having a good one is almost like getting treatment if you've got an achy back.

Man how did people survive before comfortable chairs...? The world may never know

Mark Ellis said:
I have the best routine. Twice a week I visit my personal trainer and do whatever he says. Which is great because he knows more about the subject than I ever will.

Ahhh...is it okay to have a personal trainer?

Just wanted to post a little something about my recent success in the fitness arena. I started this program about a month ago and have been staying the course fairly well so far. I have dropped 20 lbs over a 4.5 week period and have improved my putting game along the way. All it has taken is a little self-control and getting my ass out of bed in the morning.

1.5 - 2 mile run (6 to 7 mph pace)
20-25 minutes of plyometric exercises
Skip heading to lunch with coworkers and go take a walk(1.5 - 3.0 miles)
- Still have time to eat lunch when I get back from this
Change eating habits
- Cut out the 4-6 cans of soda a day (Working in IT I need caffeine :D ...coffee doesn't cut it)
- Quit eating french fries
- Limited fast food
- Eat more veggies with meals

I must say, I am more conscientious about the food I eat now too. During the week it is only good/healthy stuff. On the weekend, a little more lenient on this one.

BLURR said:
Just wanted to post a little something about my recent success in the fitness arena. I started this program about a month ago and have been staying the course fairly well so far. I have dropped 20 lbs over a 4.5 week period and have improved my putting game along the way. All it has taken is a little self-control and getting my ass out of bed in the morning.

Change eating habits
- Cut out the 4-6 cans of soda a day (Working in IT I need caffeine :D ...coffee doesn't cut it)
- Limited fast food

I must say, I am more conscientious about the food I eat now too. During the week it is only good/healthy stuff. On the weekend, a little more lenient on this one.

How do you feel physically and while on the course after a long day? I'm sure packing 20lbs less make a difference on your knees and other joints. I always feel it in my knees and hips when I lose a bunch of weight.

I am definitely not as tired at the end of 36 holes as I used to be. I am hoping to make it down to 200 by the end of the season(Small wager on this). I started out at 254...so I have a ways to go. But...if you have the determination...you can lose the weight.

BLURR said:

Change eating habits
- Limited fast food

Congrats and nice job!

BrohanSolo said:
JR said:
Man how did people survive before comfortable chairs...? The world may never know
For me at least it has meant 15 years of constant low-grade back pain, and for my step mother it's permanent debilitating spinal damage caused by poor workplace ergonomics. Desk job isn't necessarily as cush as it seems.

I ended up with the SwingChair -- it's nice because it has all the adjustments, but it also moves with you while you sit, so it supports the back and legs at a variety of angles. I'm not ready to call it the end-all solution to my back troubles but it's definitely an improvement over any other desk chair I've tried.

BLURR said:
I am definitely not as tired at the end of 36 holes as I used to be. I am hoping to make it down to 200 by the end of the season(Small wager on this). I started out at 254...so I have a ways to go. But...if you have the determination...you can lose the weight.

I hear you, I'm working on the same issue. I have a few pounds to lose and I'd like to be under 200 by end of summer. I'm sure I'll see a huge improvement next tournament season after I get rid of my pony keg and lean up.

Latest posts