• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Here is my 32 day Crossfit Program.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1u3MUl1x8ZnNzFhZmIwMWQtNjZhZC00MmQwLTljN2UtODI3ZGNkNGZiMTk4&hl=en&authkey=COb9vpAI

Hey all.

So my father, brother, and I just came back from a cruise, and we are all about 15 pounds overweight. FYI, we didn't gain all the weight on vacation, it is an accumulation of holiday excess, and lack of activity. Although I am generally in better condition than them. We are going to start a % weight loss contest amongst the three of us.

Before I went back to work (I was unemployed from nearly 15 months between Feb. 2009 and May 2010), I was hitting the gym about three times a week, and using the following schedule:

Mon: Push muscles (chest, triceps) + abs and cardio. 3 machines per muscle group, 2 sets of 8-12 reps per machine, rotating between muscle groups (ie: ab machine, chest machine, tricep machine x 3).

Tues: Pull muscles (back, biceps) + abs and cardio. Same routines

Thurs: Legs and hips + abs and cardio. Same routines

Can anyone give me some insight into the best machines, how many sets, and/or reps I should start out with?

Thanks.

IMO you're better off not using machines which tend to isolate muscles. Rather, do exercises that will incorporate multiple muscle groups simultaneously, or at least in the same rep.

Push ups, situps, pullups, burpees, walking lunges, squats, thrusters, jogging, rowing, etc...

Check the workout i posted, it will give you ideas on how to keep things intense while mixing up reps...

If you're just looking to lose weight as quick as possible then don't even bother with weights, that will just add muscle weight.... normally I would never recommend this but if you want to win a weight loss contest focus on cardio and diet.

Weight loss=walking at least six hours per day at high enough of heart rate to burn fat and low enough heart rate to be able to sustain that. To high heart rates don't burn as much fat. The long time of exercise is what burns the fat. The low work load of walking allows one to survive 6+ hours of working. If you can throw accurately enough on an empty course you may be able to make the stops and throws fast enough to not allow your heart rate to drop too low or raise too high as long as you do it the speed golf way making each throw without preparation right when you get up from picking the disc. I may have to try this :) I suggest a putter only exercise if you want to do this while disc golfing. That has a double or actually probably at least quadruple benefit to your game.

From what i've heard one shouldn't exercise the same body parts hard on consecutive days so every other day of six hour plus should work. I know a man that ran a marathon a day by running the first half of it to work doing physical labor for a day then ran the other half back and was overweight. A doctor adviced him to walk so he left earlier and returned later still doing the marathon distance. He didn't change his diet initially but he quickly lost a lot of weight. Later on he's adjusted the diet so that he has more time per day. Some people... That makes me feel like a wimp. How on earth can a human body survive such punishment?

Half way through my first week of Crossfit and I'm beat up! Hammy's are banjo tight, shoulders and arms are sore. Can't wait to get healed up and get back in there. My girlfriend loves it. :D :D

My gym workout isn't discgolf specific but a very good basic routine for "mass and strength" (which has more to do with your nutrition btw). Yes, it's a basic routine which should be in the other topic but gaining distance was the first reason for me to join a gym. And besides, I don't believe that doing discgolf movements outside the course can do much. Those should be done with discs not weights.

During off-season I workout three times a week on non-consecutive days, let's say monday, wednesday, friday.

Every other workout I'll do reps ranging from 12-15 (killer!) and every other workout 6 reps. I pick a weigth and try to do three sets of same reps. If I succeed I'll increase the weight next time. Rests between sest are about 90 sec. Here goes:

Squat 3x
Straight barbell bench 3x
T-bar row 3x
Military press (behind the neck) 3x
Barbell biceps 3x
Abs and back extensions 3x superset (when my back allows me to)

Proper form is the key here. Semi-slow eccentric phase really burns on those high rep days and gives you a feeling for the muscle being tortured.

Once, maybe twice a week swimming. It's very good for the posture and back I've been told.

On-season I'll reduce my workouts to two times a week so that my technique won't suffer and this will leave some time for some putting too ( yeah right...).

He's ripped so he probably uses quite heavy weights. I'm a former competition swimmer and swimming can be great for back. So is training deep stomach muscles. A Finnish great southpaw Markus Lindewald hurt himself in warming for the Stockholm Disc Golf Open in the back. I gave him advice on how to make the deep stomach muscles work reducing pain in minutes. I know this from having been advised by a doc to do that after my back injury. Markus did the exercise for a few moments and went on to train and play. He had aches and finished the competition but prior to the exercise he seriously thought he couldn't compete at all.

The muscles i'm talking of are quite low in the area of the small of the back in height about 5 cm below the navel. You should pull the low muscles toward the spine while not pulling in the upper stomach muscles above the navel. That's made easier by concentrating breathing semi deeply in and out and concentrating on the breathing and looseness of the upper stomach muscles. Once you get the deep muscles tightened try to match the tightness in the lower back and try to lift up your balls with muscles only :) That will tighten up the deep stomach muscles even more. At first one should start with 15 second tightening with two three second breaks doing 15 reps then a minute of rest and another set. It works wonders on lower back pain in two to three weeks and after the back is in good enough shape the pains will go away faster for me anyway. Usually within minutes.

Rotating the hips will also help in lower back pains. We haven't talked of where your pains are but swimming usually is more effective for lower back so i ass u me d :)

Heavy weights hmmm... I think it's always best to go as heavy as possible, BUT using good form. Once you know your limits then try to break them. As I said, once I get the desired reps and sets (which means that the first two sets should be light and third thight) I'll increase the weight next time. I'll probably have to work on that weight for some time, but I always get at least one rep more in at least one movement every time and that means improvement. That means as heavy as possible, for you, personally.

Mark Ellis said:
mzuleger said:
I just got my personal training cert, if anyone ever has any workout related questions im happy to help

Thanks. I'm old. Tell me how to overcome the ravages of age.
I'm opening I live long enough to see cellular regeneration become commonplace.

Two and a half weeks in, and I'm down from 221 to 215 ... feeling a lot better physically ... had some muscle soreness early on, but that has largely subsided.

As usual, l almost got injured doing heavy bench press and figured I'll take it easier this week. This lead me to try some new equipment and exercices. Thus I got pretty excited about core training. Maybe I'll devote one day a week for bodyweight exercices like different kind of chin-ups and push-ups which utilizes your mid-section, too. I also managed to stay some time on a rounded balanceboard with one foot. Good balance is essential for a good drive, isn't it?

You're right on all counts. I suck in balance and training balance last winter with Wii Fit showed just a little in my driving. I still suck in balance training. I've got ways to go. Mark Ellis posted a great workout for the core and balance. Standing on one leg using a kettle/dumb bell hit to the front and side with the arm of the same side than the leg on the ground while trying to maintain balance and the same direction for the torso. That's effective. Sit ups to less than a full way up then twisting at the hips far to the side possibly even the full motion range gives me lactic acids and a burning sensation fast. That can only be great! If monster focuses on core strength in training with that muscle mass... There must be something to core strength. Dare i say levering?

Mark Ellis said:
I have the best routine. Twice a week I visit my personal trainer and do whatever he says. Which is great because he knows more about the subject than I ever will.

My appointments are pre-scheduled so even when I have zero motivation or feel poorly, the only thing I need to do is point my car in the right direction at the right time and everything else is automatic.

Many times I would not have worked out if it were up to me. I would have blown it off. But those days when I felt unmotivated I have noticed that, after I was done with my workout, I was very happy I did it.

I'm happy for you, you did it.. I will do some work out next week, hope I can do it.

A lot of these workouts seem to be pretty strength based, and while strength is a very important, POWER is what you want if you're looking to develop on the course distance. If you're doing a 5 day routine (2 days rest) at least 3 days should be dedicated to power type lifts (medicine ball slams, rotational throws, cleans, etc...). You don't need to distance run at all concidering that disc golf is one of the only pure Anaerobic activities. I have my degree in clinical exercise science and my CSCS from the NSCA, and I am trying to develop a program that disc golfers can use because, as Blake noted above, there isn't much out there as far as actual research based programs that have proven results.

BrohanSolo said:
A lot of these workouts seem to be pretty strength based, and while strength is a very important, POWER is what you want if you're looking to develop on the course distance. If you're doing a 5 day routine (2 days rest) at least 3 days should be dedicated to power type lifts (medicine ball slams, rotational throws, cleans, etc...). You don't need to distance run at all concidering that disc golf is one of the only pure Anaerobic activities. I have my degree in clinical exercise science and my CSCS from the NSCA, and I am trying to develop a program that disc golfers can use because, as Blake noted above, there isn't much out there as far as actual research based programs that have proven results.

Good stuff BrohanSolo. I asked over at coreperformance.com to see if they could help me put together a good workout plan, but they required me to get like 20 people to join before they would do it. I was an Exercise Science major in college but never graduated. I read everything I can these days but just never seem to get the chance to put anything concrete together. I've been doing some kettlebell work recently for overall fitness and it's been helping a lot. Hopefully you can do what I have not been able to.

Maybe all of you should just work out at the gym and be naturally athletic bitches!

I've just been working out 3 times a week lifting weights and then do cardio for about 60-90 mins twice a week. I've seen some improvements so far, but we'll see what happens later this summer when I can start working on D again.

I'll definately let you know what results I'm seeing over here. Im from west michigan and I've got a good 15-20 people interested, so once I take a the pre-program numbers and get the guys workin out, i'll post an overall correlation from what I've found. Personally, I was able to increase my sidearm from 300 to about 450 consistantly, and my tom/thumb to almost 250. Hopefully those results will be duplicated for everyone else!

@ Sean40474, you're absolutely right, you do need a good strength base and not be afraid of the gym, but you don't really need "cardio" for a disc golf workout. It's nice to be able to stay in shape, but by cardio I think you mean distance running, which actually decreases your power output for your legs. Something better than you may want to try which will give you close to the same results is interval running. This is where you sprint for X distance or time, then jog the same, then repeat for a desired number of times. Once you get that strength base, power development is a must. As far as specific strength exercises go, multi-joint are the best. You don't need to bicep curl or do "arms". A lot of things like push ups, pull ups, or snatch/clean will hit your arms also. Athletes train movements, not muscles!

Preach on BrohanSolo. I keep wondering where I lost the passion for exercise science and training. That used to be all I read about. Oh well, computers have made me a good living.

I'm going to have to break out my medicine balls and other equipment again. Woohoo.

Latest posts