• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc lands on tee pad of another card/hole?

pdga said:
Teeing Area (or Tee)
The area bounded by the edges of a tee pad, if provided. Otherwise, the area extending three meters perpendicularly behind the designated tee line. The teeing area is also a lie.
If I move another player's disc off the tee, I'm in the process of marking my own lie.

I just ran out of will to argue this one. I can only yell at a wall for so long.

:popcorn::thmbup:

If there was a comma between "a thrown disc, or (a) mini marker disc" like you wrote out, I might agree with you, however that is not how the rule is written. "A thrown disc or mini marker disc" as written in the rule and definition are the same exact thing which = indicate the lie as markers....

So if you find someone's lost or OB disc, then you are not allowed to retrieve it without their approval and should receive a 2 stroke penalty?

Yes it is particularly applicable in that situation, and there are other situations as well.

Now you are adding words to the rule that are simply not there. And what if it was her own disc? Sorry ladies you all get 2 stroke penalty for not marking his own disc, unless you are a tranny maybe. Nowhere in the rule book does it state that only you can mark your own lie. There are situations like the one in the OP that would authorize you(group) to mark another player's disc.

To everyone who's been on this thread except sidewinder --
Did I just get called something non-PC for using the generic "he/his" pronoun? I thought I could clarify what I believe the interpretation of that rule is, but apparently not. Now I need to go change eveyrhting I've ever written and use "he/she" and "his/her" or use the APA approved language, such as "one's own" or "the player's own" [disc] instead of "his own", etc. If that's the way this discussion/argument is going, then I'm through, too..., just like JK.

Now, sidewinder, the thread is yours. You started it, you can finish it. IBL...

If I move another player's disc off the tee, I'm in the process of marking my own lie.

No.

You should have tried: "If I move another player's disc off the tee, I'm in the process of restoring course equipment to its proper working order, including the clearing of obstacles."

At least someone agrees with me.

cgkdisc said:
This is a case of common sense using the Fairness rule 801.01A. The group on the tee provides a way to identify where the disc should be replaced on the pad after teeing off with marks of some sort off the side of the pad. No interference, no penalties involved.

At least someone agrees with me.

Actually, he didn't agree with you. He just came to the same conclusion by different means.

I don't think the rules allow you to move a disc as long as you intend to replace it. At least not the wording of the rules. I think the common sense/fairness rule probably allow it in this case. I never thought that you shouldn't be able to remove a disc off the teepad, I just thought that your reasoning for allowing it was not correct.

What if you are standing on your tee-pad and start to throw and another persons disc(on the hole behind you) hits yours as it is coming out of your hand? Do you get to throw again? Does the person whose disc hit yours get a penalty? What if yours lands on the tee-pad? Do you mark it on the tee and proceed to throw?
We have a hole on our course where errant throws from #2's tee often comes by/gets close #3's pad.

What if you are standing on your tee-pad and start to throw and another persons disc(on the hole behind you) hits yours as it is coming out of your hand? Do you get to throw again? Does the person whose disc hit yours get a penalty? What if yours lands on the tee-pad? Do you mark it on the tee and proceed to throw?
We have a hole on our course where errant throws from #2's tee often comes by/gets close #3's pad.

You wait to tee off on either tee until the other group has finished. Problem solved.

Actually, he didn't agree with you. He just came to the same conclusion by different means.

I don't think the rules allow you to move a disc as long as you intend to replace it. At least not the wording of the rules. I think the common sense/fairness rule probably allow it in this case. I never thought that you shouldn't be able to remove a disc off the teepad, I just thought that your reasoning for allowing it was not correct.
I said almost the same exact thing several posts ago.

The temporary moving/replacing could be considered as an extension(of rule 801.01) of the "other than" process of marking(the lie).

I don't think 801.01 gives you carte blanch to pick up a disc for any reason. It needs to be an extremely compelling reason since the other rules state the only reasons you can move a disc for (marking, identifying). Clearing off a tee is a really unusual thing, and I think the common sense kicks in there. I can't think of any other reason to allow someone to pick up someone's disc and replace it. Maybe if it landed on a vehicle that somehow wasn't OB, and the cars owner needed to move right away and not wait for the player (but that's a pretty crazy scenario).

You more sounded like you were ok with picking up for any reason as long as the intention was to return it to the exact spot. I think it would need to be a very unusual circumstance to allow it.

I don't think 801.01 gives you carte blanch to pick up a disc for any reason. It needs to be an extremely compelling reason since the other rules state the only reasons you can move a disc for (marking, identifying).
When did I ever say you could pick a disc for any reason? I always specified it as part of marking/replacing. I still don't see anywhere in the rule book where it states that only the player can mark their own lie?

Clearing off a tee is a really unusual thing, and I think the common sense kicks in there. I can't think of any other reason to allow someone to pick up someone's disc and replace it. Maybe if it landed on a vehicle that somehow wasn't OB, and the cars owner needed to move right away and not wait for the player (but that's a pretty crazy scenario).
I don't see how clearing/marking the tee(which is your lie) is any different than the scenario arayx talked about earlier about moving the other disc because it was physically impossible to not move it while marking his own lie.

You more sounded like you were ok with picking up for any reason as long as the intention was to return it to the exact spot. I think it would need to be a very unusual circumstance to allow it.
If the other player is not reasonably available to mark their own lie, then it should be ok to mark theirs if it is in the way, is what I specified.

So pick up the disc to identify it, which should be fine since the rules don't really stipulate valid reasons to require an identification. Then, because the rules also do not specify that the disc has to be replaced immediately, throw your drives and replace the disc where you picked it up.

And the word from the PDGA Rules Committee Chairman: :D
Conrad Damon said:
Good question, as that situation is not directly addressed in the rules. My opinion is that you can move the disc while the tee is in use and then replace it to its approximate lie afterward.

Latest posts