• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc minimalism vs Mold minimalism

FierceTable

Par Member
Complete bag - a colleciton of discs in which all shots can be reasonably performed with at least one disc in the bag

Disc minimalism - using as few discs as possible to build a complete bag

Purpose - by throwing the same disc for multiple different shots you gain a greater understanding and confidence with each disc in your bag. Any loss in performance by throwing a 'sub-optimal' disc for a shot is made up for through disc familiarity and confidence from having thrown it more times than you would have if if you had a different disc for every shot.

Mold minimalism - using as few different molds/models as possible to build a complete bag

Purpose - ???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help me out. What's the point of mold minimalism? The only benefit I see is the grip is the same for many of your discs. The way I see it, if you're carrying many discs in different stages of wear you're carrying different discs.

I carry a star T-bird because it behaves like a T-bird (I can crank on it and it holds a staight line with a consistent fade at the end). I carry a beat dx T-bird because it behaves like a longer Leopard (with a smooth throw it follows a perfectly straight line all the way to the ground or it can be put on anhyzer/turnover lines and it won't pull out of that line). I'm carrying two of the same mold, but I'm not carrying two T-birds because they behave like T-birds. I'm carrying them both because they do different things.

Lots of people carry three or so Rocs. One beat to fly like a Stingray, one slightly worn to behave like straight Roc, and one brand new to fly like a Cro. Obviously they are using Rocs because they don't fly exactly like the discs I mentioned, but they are carrying each of them because they don't all fly alike. How is mold minimalism benefiting these people?

FierceTable said:
Mold minimalism - using as few different molds/models as possible to build a complete bag

Purpose - ???

To have something to spout off about about on the internetz (thinking you're sounding oh so clever) while sabotaging your on-the-course scoring.

FierceTable said:
Lots of people carry three or so Rocs. One beat to fly like a Stingray, one slightly worn to behave like straight Roc, and one brand new to fly like a Cro. Obviously they are using Rocs because they don't fly exactly like the discs I mentioned, but they are carrying each of them because they don't all fly alike. How is mold minimalism benefiting these people?

1- Rocs don't really ever fly like stingrays IMO

2- It takes a long time for rocs to get into different stages of flight. If you spend enough time with a roc to get it to the zero fade stage, you probably know it pretty well. Tossing in a new one is pretty painless and feels pretty much the same but has the fade the older one has lost.

You probably learned a lot of subtle line shaping skills while beating in that DX Teebird. By continuing to use DX Teebirds, you'll ensure that you keep that skill set in tact. It's a good way to make sure that you're developing a well rounded game. IMO, having a Teebird that behaves like a Leopard is a side effect, not a goal.

For those same reasons, I think that carrying too many discs in a mold is actually counter productive.

With a disc like the roc, it loses its low speed fade and keeps most of its hss. Meaning a more consistently straight disc. Most Roc throwers like the way a new roc flies, and an old roc. And throwing the old roc until its understable they are more comfortable with how it flies, than say a meteor which is understable out of the box. And they still only learned how to throw one disc.

A lot of discs like the Teebird do not fly the same in premium plastic and base plastic. Throwing the disc in multiple plastics and multiple stages of wear in the same plastic is not the same i my opinion. And honestly is not that different than learning to throw two molds.

I will probably get flamed for this, especially cause my bag is not a good example of either, but I think for the most part I am with you, as I would rather see someone honing skills with a bag like this, which has fewer discs and all serve a different purpose..

Champ Firebird
Champ Starfire
Pro Wraith
DX Teebird
Champ Road Runner

Star Cro
DX Roc
Panther

Aviar

Than this, which has much fewer molds, but more plastics and more overlap.

2 Champ Firebird 160, 175
3 DX Firebirds Beat, Broken in, New
Champ Teebird
2 Star Teebird
3 DX Teebird
1 Pro TL

5 Rocs

Avair X
Star BB Avair
Avair P&A
Avair P&A 150

You can be an extremist either way, and it could work for you. But there are definite benefits to either approach.

emiller3 said:
IMO, having a Teebird that behaves like a Leopard is a side effect, not a goal.

For those same reasons, I think that carrying too many discs in a mold is actually counter productive.

I think this is what I just spent way too many words saying. :oops:

I am not flaming, just saying that I love love love having 5 rocs in my bag.

Personally, you can be awesome with a limited number of molds, or be awesome with a bag that is well suited to you w/ numerous molds. Its all about how much time you've put in with your discs, and your amount of disc knowledge (and selection) on the course that determines your skill sets.

We could all be like feldberg and have a bag with 42 discs... if we knew them all as well as he knows them.

FierceTable said:
The way I see it, if you're carrying many discs in different stages of wear you're carrying different discs.
That's a false assumption. A worn version of one disc is not the same as throwing a different mold. It may not fly exactly the same as the new version, but it flies exactly like a more understable version of that disc. A different mold behaves differently enough to matter.

The key I see missing in all of these discussions is the simple fact in MOLD minimalism, is you're finding VERSATILE molds that can carry out the same roles as having a few other Molds. Thus eliminating those molds into one mold. Achieving Mold minimalism (find versatile molds and using those over using a few molds to perform multiple shots) will essentially establish disc minimalism to a degree.

I still carry 14-16 disc in my tourny bag, and 12 or so in my short course/beat in bag. But, that is only 5-7 molds depending on if I want to carry Valkyries and Destroyers, as those aren't stables in my bag and they're just there for playing around. Rarely if EVER do I even use them in tournaments. The disc I do rely on, Dart, Roc, Tp Cyclone, SOLF, and Pred.

The versatile mold thing is the BIGGEST THING people over look.

The Roc is the best example. Already stated, it's the SAME MOLD, not carrying two or three different molds. The Roc is one of the most versatile molds out there, high power threshold, stable enough to perform all sorts of shots right off the shelf.
Beat one in to perform the shots required by a less stable disc. As this progresses, ALL DISC in all plastics will get beat some with use. So they will progress in a fashion. Then when the newest gets too beat; replace it's that simple. Simply you get all the good aspects of that mold in every stability.... WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT HAVING A ROC IN ALL STABILITIES? :mrgreen:

Zoidberg.jpg

One of the guys I tied for first today at local leagues (playing a decent round too) throws 2 drivers (i believe both are star wraiths). Thats it. Turbo puts em, backhands/tommys/forehands whatever. Beat 20 something regular open players. That is minimalism.
He is probably the only guy in the world who would go to a 2 disc tournament with two discs the same mold. (well maybe not, but the other guy probably throws 2 wizards)

I can see two purposes of mold minimalism...

---> You like the shapes of some specific molds and they feel great in your hand (but this is not really a good argument for mold minimalism in general).

---> You like to have discs in base line plastics and want these to have long lives (also a very subjective idea which doesn't make mold minimalism important in general).

Apart from that I think mold minimalism is pointless. A superficial idea of being a minimalist.

Another long one.

To muck up things further: What if your hands are flexible and large and powerful enough to handle many kinds of disc sizes and shapes to the extent that the discs feel similar enough not to offset aiming? And wide winged discs grip the same vs each other and moderates and smalls the same. Would you think of disc minimalism or mold minimalism or _role_ minimalism if one were to carry say a Roc/Buzzz and a Comet? Or Leopard and Cyclone or the zillion moderately overstable drivers or the over half dozen overstable putters in a combination of two or more different molds per role?

See this is real for me and happens all the time. Not to mention the added flavor of the same mold in different weights and plastics. I may well carry two different discs from two different manufacturers for the same role because weather forecasts don't always get it right. It's good to have the option of a more wind tolerant disc just in case at least if it's an important often repeated role on the course I'm playing. My home course really has just two drives where I benefit from using a driver and one FH drive with just a slight edge over an pig overstable mid. And the two other holes need straighter and less fading drivers. But that FH is doable with great risk with annies too if I brought an understable mid and possibly even an Ion. I don't carry understable mids usually on that course because I'm content with the trouble avoidance ability of Ion to Buzzz pair.

I can do ok with fewer roles than what Blake has suggested on this course. OTOH I carry more putters than one. Three 60'+ spike putts with Rhynos last week :-D Great bends and approaches in winds as well with the Rhyno. Otherwise having a blast with the Ion. Although it's tricky to throw right when giving it oomph. What do you do when you have a better average score with a wind putter and calm putter on a windy course with an overwhelming majority of putter shots from the tee, approaches and putts? My course of action is clear.

When I go to a long course in town I still carry Rhyno and Ion for different winds and getting out of trouble. There the FH disc for that one hole on my home course becomes the headwind BH driver and the very overstable driver. And I still don't carry understable mids that's the work of the Ion. Depending on what you call the Stalker I carry one and use it like a FW driver. Otherwise I wouldn't have one if it's considered a tweener mid and FW. Ion really is a tweener putter/mid anyway so two tweeners plus a Buzzz could be seen as three mids if one wanted to. Then it would be mold pluralism. So it's definitions schemifinitions since the Rhyno would become a putter by that logic even though an overwhelming majority of my approaches and especially putts are done with the Ion. Clear as muck? Driver thingy on longer courses. Don't get me started :-D

I get the same percentages if I carried a QOLS or a Star Valk or a Straight PD for example they all work for me and while Roadrunner and DX Valk are the kings of straight flight for me out of distance drivers so what? I still can position them left, center and right often to different distances. Slight left is easy slight right ain't to every distance. What I think is that theoretical boundaries aside one should be able to play in any weather conditions to every distance and elevation hard left, medium left, slightly left, straight, slightly right, medium right and hard right after a straight flight or starting hyzer or anny. Plus S-curves and FHs plus overhands and many trick shots. With relatively few roles. Say 5 to 6 and trick shots and since every manufacturer with a full line up of discs makes discs for each role there are plenty to choose from. Given enough skill the differences between discs for the same role with the roughly same speed and stability begin to disappear in differences for many of the placement options. It's only slight left or slight right for me that really distinguishes discs on top of wind tolerance and the amount of fade. Fade would be a non issue on wider courses but we have tunnels aplenty.

Searching for the best discs for me for any given role has lead to a pile of discs with huge amount of molds that at this skill level overlap big time. Since I'm limited more by my ability deficiency than the flight characteristics of many discs for the same role and I have thrown every disc a lot in field practice I can throw each of the best bunch for any given role I've found out so far fairly interchangeably. Because for every role there are more than one well functioning discs. Apart for slight left or right for different elevations especially and doubly so if I'm pushing the boundaries of a disc. Like the Ion straight to 295' in slight rear wind yesterday. At 250' it gets difficult to throw straight every time and even more so slightly right -it tends to become medium to hard right real quick. 200' with an Ion is a no brainer with any sideways and elevation combination.

My core bag ATM is heavy Champ Rhyno, Soft Ion 173 for putts or the need to stop when landing or fear of hitting trees wanting to minimize kicks, Medium Ion 175 for driving and lazying about or short putts when I don't feel like switching from the medium to soft on a putt, Buzzz Z 178, Stalker heavy Z, Force ESP 168, and varying drivers depending what I wanna do. Valks and PDs mostly and for distance work Katanas and for suicide charge fun risk taking distance while throwing over trees ultralight R-Pro Bosses. If the course is long.

My mainstay driver of last year Roadrunner hasn't made it in the bag for a while thanks to PDs and Valks. There's only one hole locally where I need to retry a Roadrunner after gaining more power. It's up a ski jumping hill with 50' elevation for around 200' distance. I need to throw harder than the moist ground under the hill collecting water moving down to the tee area making it soft can support with full weight Valks, 166 P PD, 150 S PD of the too LSS kind for such a steep uphill, QOLS and too hard fading distance drivers such as Surges and Wraiths (another interchangeablish pair and that's a word now). A Katana with an s curve would be easy to reach height and distance wise were it not for the steep long drop off to the right of the basket with an anny needed to counter the LSS and OTOH the ground does not give me confidence to throw annies and the trees alongside prevent hyzers and flat throws fade too far left. I tested a 150 Champ Valk (403' on the field headwind yesterday) that reaches the basket easily but is so easy to flip over to the side of the hill far away from the basket that it's a low probability high risk shot. You know how I did trying to slightly s-curve to counter the fade of the Champ Valk. They fade too much at such a steep uphill angle if not turned past the point of flexing. And Champ plastic is a must due to the harsh landing area eating up softer blends of ESP and Star. Not to mention sissy Pro and softer plastics. Otherwise I'm pretty confident with what I throw where on every hole on the three courses I play most. Even fun alternative ways of driving the same holes. So it seems that I gotta try a Champ in the mid 160s for that hole when I get around to getting one. Those weights aren't available locally at least not in pro shop prices. General sport chains have stupendous prices it's better to order online elsewhere in the country or the States!

I never thought to say this but bag seems to be getting pretty set. I carry fluff and experiment and have fun but even then it's the few mainstays that do most of the work and I'm not suffering in scores. What's funny is that tweeners work if you use two tweeners of different roles that is putter and mid tweener making me club down all the time :-D I rarely reach for the Buzzz on my home course for the Ion/Rhyno combo and I don't carry a real fairway driver under distance drivers since the Stalker is so long and the PD powers down well. I'm much better with the Stalker probably due to the low profile and my affinity and experience with throwing flat lasers and so many holes benefiting from that. PD is often a longer s-curve through a tunnel or for fun bombing duty and Valks again flip to flat straight beyond Stalker D although on the field I've closed the gap between them with added pinch power thanks to training -odd. Because PDs and Valks fly far I rarely reach for max D discs just like Blake has analyzed with his role list. I only get about 10' more on average in field work with Katanas over Valks and not a whole lot more with best shots and not at all more in rear winds. I think I've been limited by finger strength especially thumb and now that it's improving less wide wings have benefited more than wide winged discs. Suggesting there's more gripper/tennis ball squeezing/weight static holds to be done.

Rant and muddying up the water off. For now.

JR said:
Another long one.

To muck up things further: What if your hands are flexible and large and powerful enough to handle many kinds of disc sizes and shapes to the extent that the discs feel similar enough not to offset aiming? And wide winged discs grip the same vs each other and moderates and smalls the same. Would you think of disc minimalism or mold minimalism or _role_ minimalism if one were to carry say a Roc/Buzzz and a Comet? Or Leopard and Cyclone or the zillion moderately overstable drivers or the over half dozen overstable putters in a combination of two or more different molds per role?

See this is real for me and happens all the time. Not to mention the added flavor of the same mold in different weights and plastics. I may well carry two different discs from two different manufacturers for the same role because weather forecasts don't always get it right. It's good to have the option of a more wind tolerant disc just in case at least if it's an important often repeated role on the course I'm playing. My home course really has just two drives where I benefit from using a driver and one FH drive with just a slight edge over an pig overstable mid. And the two other holes need straighter and less fading drivers. But that FH is doable with great risk with annies too if I brought an understable mid and possibly even an Ion. I don't carry understable mids usually on that course because I'm content with the trouble avoidance ability of Ion to Buzzz pair.

I can do ok with fewer roles than what Blake has suggested on this course. OTOH I carry more putters than one. Three 60'+ spike putts with Rhynos last week :-D Great bends and approaches in winds as well with the Rhyno. Otherwise having a blast with the Ion. Although it's tricky to throw right when giving it oomph. What do you do when you have a better average score with a wind putter and calm putter on a windy course with an overwhelming majority of putter shots from the tee, approaches and putts? My course of action is clear.

When I go to a long course in town I still carry Rhyno and Ion for different winds and getting out of trouble. There the FH disc for that one hole on my home course becomes the headwind BH driver and the very overstable driver. And I still don't carry understable mids that's the work of the Ion. Depending on what you call the Stalker I carry one and use it like a FW driver. Otherwise I wouldn't have one if it's considered a tweener mid and FW. Ion really is a tweener putter/mid anyway so two tweeners plus a Buzzz could be seen as three mids if one wanted to. Then it would be mold pluralism. So it's definitions schemifinitions since the Rhyno would become a putter by that logic even though an overwhelming majority of my approaches and especially putts are done with the Ion. Clear as muck? Driver thingy on longer courses. Don't get me started :-D

I get the same percentages if I carried a QOLS or a Star Valk or a Straight PD for example they all work for me and while Roadrunner and DX Valk are the kings of straight flight for me out of distance drivers so what? I still can position them left, center and right often to different distances. Slight left is easy slight right ain't to every distance. What I think is that theoretical boundaries aside one should be able to play in any weather conditions to every distance and elevation hard left, medium left, slightly left, straight, slightly right, medium right and hard right after a straight flight or starting hyzer or anny. Plus S-curves and FHs plus overhands and many trick shots. With relatively few roles. Say 5 to 6 and trick shots and since every manufacturer with a full line up of discs makes discs for each role there are plenty to choose from. Given enough skill the differences between discs for the same role with the roughly same speed and stability begin to disappear in differences for many of the placement options. It's only slight left or slight right for me that really distinguishes discs on top of wind tolerance and the amount of fade. Fade would be a non issue on wider courses but we have tunnels aplenty.

Searching for the best discs for me for any given role has lead to a pile of discs with huge amount of molds that at this skill level overlap big time. Since I'm limited more by my ability deficiency than the flight characteristics of many discs for the same role and I have thrown every disc a lot in field practice I can throw each of the best bunch for any given role I've found out so far fairly interchangeably. Because for every role there are more than one well functioning discs. Apart for slight left or right for different elevations especially and doubly so if I'm pushing the boundaries of a disc. Like the Ion straight to 295' in slight rear wind yesterday. At 250' it gets difficult to throw straight every time and even more so slightly right -it tends to become medium to hard right real quick. 200' with an Ion is a no brainer with any sideways and elevation combination.

My core bag ATM is heavy Champ Rhyno, Soft Ion 173 for putts or the need to stop when landing or fear of hitting trees wanting to minimize kicks, Medium Ion 175 for driving and lazying about or short putts when I don't feel like switching from the medium to soft on a putt, Buzzz Z 178, Stalker heavy Z, Force ESP 168, and varying drivers depending what I wanna do. Valks and PDs mostly and for distance work Katanas and for suicide charge fun risk taking distance while throwing over trees ultralight R-Pro Bosses. If the course is long.

My mainstay driver of last year Roadrunner hasn't made it in the bag for a while thanks to PDs and Valks. There's only one hole locally where I need to retry a Roadrunner after gaining more power. It's up a ski jumping hill with 50' elevation for around 200' distance. I need to throw harder than the moist ground under the hill collecting water moving down to the tee area making it soft can support with full weight Valks, 166 P PD, 150 S PD of the too LSS kind for such a steep uphill, QOLS and too hard fading distance drivers such as Surges and Wraiths (another interchangeablish pair and that's a word now). A Katana with an s curve would be easy to reach height and distance wise were it not for the steep long drop off to the right of the basket with an anny needed to counter the LSS and OTOH the ground does not give me confidence to throw annies and the trees alongside prevent hyzers and flat throws fade too far left. I tested a 150 Champ Valk (403' on the field headwind yesterday) that reaches the basket easily but is so easy to flip over to the side of the hill far away from the basket that it's a low probability high risk shot. You know how I did trying to slightly s-curve to counter the fade of the Champ Valk. They fade too much at such a steep uphill angle if not turned past the point of flexing. And Champ plastic is a must due to the harsh landing area eating up softer blends of ESP and Star. Not to mention sissy Pro and softer plastics. Otherwise I'm pretty confident with what I throw where on every hole on the three courses I play most. Even fun alternative ways of driving the same holes. So it seems that I gotta try a Champ in the mid 160s for that hole when I get around to getting one. Those weights aren't available locally at least not in pro shop prices. General sport chains have stupendous prices it's better to order online elsewhere in the country or the States!

I never thought to say this but bag seems to be getting pretty set. I carry fluff and experiment and have fun but even then it's the few mainstays that do most of the work and I'm not suffering in scores. What's funny is that tweeners work if you use two tweeners of different roles that is putter and mid tweener making me club down all the time :-D I rarely reach for the Buzzz on my home course for the Ion/Rhyno combo and I don't carry a real fairway driver under distance drivers since the Stalker is so long and the PD powers down well. I'm much better with the Stalker probably due to the low profile and my affinity and experience with throwing flat lasers and so many holes benefiting from that. PD is often a longer s-curve through a tunnel or for fun bombing duty and Valks again flip to flat straight beyond Stalker D although on the field I've closed the gap between them with added pinch power thanks to training -odd. Because PDs and Valks fly far I rarely reach for max D discs just like Blake has analyzed with his role list. I only get about 10' more on average in field work with Katanas over Valks and not a whole lot more with best shots and not at all more in rear winds. I think I've been limited by finger strength especially thumb and now that it's improving less wide wings have benefited more than wide winged discs. Suggesting there's more gripper/tennis ball squeezing/weight static holds to be done.

Rant and muddying up the water off. For now.

That's not a post. That's an article! :D

No, seriously, this is an interesting discussion, but for me I'm still learning all the molds for myself. Maybe once I feel satisfied that I've learned all the interesting molds that there exist to learn, then I might be interested in mold minimalism. But for now, variety is the spice of life, even if I meet a few molds that I really love along the way...they aren't going anywhere and I can always come back to them...

Latest posts