• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Prices Out of Control

saw that the new premium plastic Tilt (release in 9 days) is in the discmania page for 30 euros. I thought that is already over the top.

Only one way to teach them: dont buy at those ridiculous prices.

I know, easy for me to say. I still sit on stacks of backup discs that are waiting to be thrown. Yes, some of the new plasics that came out in the last 5 years look amazing and feel great. I am looking forward to buying some of them. But only once i used up my backups, otherwise they'll never see play...

I think some of this is also driven by the newer pandemic boom players. I started noticing it around me with all the Brodie get freaky stuff. These new players had no problem walking around with a bag worth more than the car they drove to the course with. Seems many of them think it's no big deal to spend that kind of money. Then new normal. . . . for a while.

Booms and busts, how many of these new players are going to still be around in a couple of years. Reminds me of the Tiger craze.

I'm not part of the problem, my most cherished disc are the ones that look like they've been through a war.

One of the saddest things I have seen with disc prices is with discgolfcenter.com...

They were the most affordable option online. Now they will challenge the highest retail prices you will see for tour series/special edition. ($35 metallic luna)

I go to OTB for most of my plastic now. As long as they keep their prices fair and are on top of the descriptions....it's a no brainer.

100% Agree. When I first started a year ago DGC was my go-to. They've started listing the actual discs a lot more and I don't mind them charging the extra dollar for those listings. But I noticed a lot of Trilogy fusion style plastics were listing for 24.99 for just stock runs so idk what's going on.

I could just bag popular DX models and have as much fun and score as well as if I won a shopping spree at Infinite.

Heck, grid Aviars, DX Rocs, DX Teebird, and DX Wraiths fill half my bag.

I'm reminded of a time, long ago, when we were paying $6 per disc. The discs were DX but we didn't know that; they were simply discs, as that's the only plastic there was. When more durable plastics appeared at prices of $9 or $10, I remember stating boldly that there was no way the discs were worth that much money, and I'd never buy them.

If a lot of people will pay higher prices, discs will sell for higher prices. In the meantime, I have a lifetime supply of plastic, and I'm less susceptible to the promises that some new disc will magically lower my score.

One of our local retailers offers Sextons for $37.99 and the other tour series for $27.99. The online store currently shows all the tour series in stock, including 2021 Nates. They will sell out at these prices. Helix Disc Golf

The current situation is interesting. Speculating, the manufacturers seem to be focusing on producing high end plastic, swirly, pretty, premium plastics, cool stamps, MORE EXPENSIVE. And people are buying the ****e out of them. They don't have any real incentive to ramp up production quickly to meet basic demand of stock stamp white bread discs. I think it's great that the DG community has all of these new options, but that doesn't help the guys like me who just want to throw stock stamps of well loved molds. You know things are bad when you have trouble finding a plain Z Buzzz in stock. How can you be out of stock of DX Teebirds my gosh how will I live?

eb7c358dab13bf41d3e5e0491e47a562.jpg

Picked up this glow wizard for $2.99 in a used bin. Still deals to be found !

This is happening at the top of the supply chain as well. Its an opportunistic, hell its capitalism where people dont matter only profit and revenue, situation. Example: Innova Sexybirds are $24.99 V BigJerm Thundy is $18.99. There is no explanation for that difference other than "the market can, will, and has no choice but to, bear it." I see it really an an exploitation of all the newer players who hopped in during he last 1-2 years. They dont know any better, lets set their baseline and they wont know it was any different. On Ebay, every single new regular disc is listed at $25ish and seconds are $15-$20+ new....across the board. On DGU some seconds are $1 more because of some odd stamp...lol. Right now the market is driven by some sort of desire to just have things that other people seem to want and not because of flight characteristics of special/unique runs or personal preference. Innova and DM will just do whatever they please cuz thats their thing, discraft just needs to slap PMB on something and their work is done, so on and so on.

I'm reminded of a time, long ago, when we were paying $6 per disc. The discs were DX but we didn't know that; they were simply discs, as that's the only plastic there was. When more durable plastics appeared at prices of $9 or $10, I remember stating boldly that there was no way the discs were worth that much money, and I'd never buy them.

If a lot of people will pay higher prices, discs will sell for higher prices. In the meantime, I have a lifetime supply of plastic, and I'm less susceptible to the promises that some new disc will magically lower my score.
I have a long-term addiction to buying golf discs and have 1,000 or so. I've always stocked up so I had extras, then when I needed a new disc I went out and bought more so the extras accumulated. I'm out. I have discs. I'm going to go back and throw all those extra discs that accumulated.

This is not unique, though. In the 90's golf discs were $7. Then the Millennium/KC Pro/Elite Pro discs were $10. The needle on those discs hadn't moved much in 20+ years. Other things I used to buy with disposable income have shot up by a lot. Things like MLB ball caps are almost double what they cost back in the day. By the standard inflation of most things, DX should be around $12 and Pro around $17. That pushes Champ into the $20's and Star to around $25. By that standard, prices going up should be expected.

The thing with ball caps is that they didn't go from $22 to $37 overnight. They went up by $1 here and $1 there over a 30-year period. Disc golf is taking big jumps with these things; Tour Series discs going from $20 to $25 takes a decade of $1 here and $1 there increases and throws it at you all at once. The sticker shock of that is what is making me go "no more". If it was a $1 this year and $1 next year and $1 two years after that I probably grumble and pay it.

The Halo Tern thing is an even bigger price hike than that; $28 for a Halo Tern is more of a sticker coma than sticker shock. If they had been making yearly price bumps and had regular Star prices up to $24-$25; $28 for Halo Star would seem in-line. Jumping right to $28 is :eek:.

What I was sorta getting at sideways is that one big difference I see is that collectors and a collector mentality are boosting sales. I hear people say they will get one of these "for the bag" and one "for the collection".

It was a little strange to come back to disc golf and realize (A.) a whole lotta people cooped up during the pandemic were wanting to get outside (B.) you couldn't simply try or buy some new discs because so many were out of stock (C.) people had shelves with hundreds of discs.

I feel lucky to have worked out enough to put something basic together that will endure longer than I'll be able to do this IF I can keep them out of the lakes.

Good points, 3P. The price jump may have a bit to do with supply & demand both pushing prices; if supply (and supply chain) dropped at the same time demand (covid boom in disc golf) increased. Double whammy.

I've only paid over $20 for a disc once -- in a very unusual circumstance, having become dependent on an out-of-production disc and paying collectors' price for a backup -- and a bit of old fogey in me isn't going to give in anytime soon.

I think some of this is also driven by the newer pandemic boom players. I started noticing it around me with all the Brodie get freaky stuff. These new players had no problem walking around with a bag worth more than the car they drove to the course with. Seems many of them think it's no big deal to spend that kind of money. Then new normal. . . . for a while.

Booms and busts, how many of these new players are going to still be around in a couple of years. Reminds me of the Tiger craze.

I'm not part of the problem, my most cherished disc are the ones that look like they've been through a war.

Exactly this, I don't know what official numbers are for growth.. But looking around the courses and hearing about booking tee times in the city or Mary's farm is mind blowing to me. We must have at least doubled the amount of casual players. It's crazy to think that we have to book a time to play!

When I look at the auctions and trade sites I see a lot of Paul McBeth stuff, Buzzz's, Zones, Lone Howls, a rare Tilt or two, sexybirds, forces. A lot of this stuff is being snapped up by new players and a lot of it isn't appropriate for them long term but is it a 5 claw? (Add $20 to the price)

A bunch of these new players also have a certain second hand induced nostalgia for stuff that's not available that a bunch of us have in a bag or box.

Combine all of this with plastic and resin shortages across all industry and it's a very good time to sell your junk. I cleaned out a box in my basement. The most surprising one was a beat Epic that went for $50, I couldn't give it away to a couple friends that OH.

People are hungry for disc golf, many of these new players don't come from our hippy ass culture fringe roots, they are pushing it to a mainstream level. "The shot" is putting us more mainstream. People that were playing ball golf, paying green fees and trying a new $300 titanium putter won't even blink at bagging $50 discs.

How much of a sexybird is hype? How much is flight? Ha I don't know I can't throw that crap anymore it's not tempting in the least. The MJ comet this year was on my threshold for cost, which I estimate at 25% more than a stock disc, I snapped a couple up after I threw one. ($34 CAD vs $26 for stock)

At least I'm focused on a few molds, all baggable and a couple artists like Marm-O-Set of course there's some shameful purchases on my wall that all say Envy.

(It makes me feel better when something like the 2018 se eclipse doesn't become super valuable, I grabbed those purely for flight and I've got 4/5)

Last edited:
Why are disc prices shooting up so much?

Well, when I read your post noting that Halo Terns cost $28 each at Infinite Discs, my first instinct was not "Geez that's expensive, but instead "Infinite Discs got a restock of Halo Terns??!! and had mine purchased before I had even read all of the messages in this thread.

I'm part of the problem.

Ha, me too, I've been waiting for the hex at local retailers, saw some on eBay for $20 something from a reasonable seller not the $50 gougy ones..

Thought about it, thought about other people that will snap em up... saw a melon themed one in my weight (169g) and thought crap it's only an extra $7 for shipping for one from US. $42 CAD and I got one SE hex on the way. Plus even with currency conversion it was $3 cheaper than here so extra $5 to get one. May the proliferation of the problem continue but "I got mine" and it's what I want. Man if it wasn't for shipping I'd have a DFX subscription!

Last edited:
I know disc prices are trending up for a bunch of reasons. Question. What's the most expensive disc you've seen at retail. I believe sextons are a bit more than "normal" but today I noticed Infinite selling Halo Terns for a cool $28. I'm wondering are we just at the beginning of disc price increases or are the manufactures getting ahead of themselves with some of these prices. I suppose Infinite could be gouging a little without researching what these are going for from other retailers.

I will throw Infinite's background in on the Halo Tern price - those were purchased on accident at full price... we did not realize they were not for dealers (with dealer pricing). Typically our Halo Star is 24.99 (still expensive, but that's what it is everywhere). Once we realized we paid full price, we had to up the price a little bit just to get rid of them without losing money. We figured enough people out there would want one that it would be better just to list them at the higher price than to return them.

Don't blame you guys for making money at all. I buy a lot of stuff from you. Just wondering where the price rises will end, but I think the market will bear somewhat higher prices. If you guys put some more Buzzz GT up on your site I'll help you sell out again.

InfiniteDiscs has just one of those $27.99 Halo Star Terns remaining in stock. It looks to me like folks are now willing to pay $28 for special blend discs. I think we can expect to see all the Halos priced there soon.

It's probably been mentioned, but with the large influx of "non-traditional" disc golfers in the last 18 months, not only has that increased overall demand, but the ability to be able to pay more is changing with this change in the melting pot that is disc golf-dom. I think the median person entering the sport in the last 12 months is NOT the one complaining about paying $4-$8 to watch a couple tournaments a month on DGPT. I mean, paying to spectate is now quite the thing, right? When did this start? At least at the price points it is at now. I can see $100+ to watch 3 live rounds of a DGPT event starting next year. And they will be sold out.
Maple Hill is now charging for people to be spotters and scorekeepers. Volunteering isn't even enough any more.

Maybe these newbies paying big coin for discs can spend that $0.59 extra and put their number in them. I keep finding new plastic with no numbers in them...I mean thanks and all, but I would prefer to return them.

One of the saddest things I have seen with disc prices is with discgolfcenter.com...

They were the most affordable option online. Now they will challenge the highest retail prices you will see for tour series/special edition. ($35 metallic luna)

I go to OTB for most of my plastic now. As long as they keep their prices fair and are on top of the descriptions....it's a no brainer.

It's not just the special editions: how about an Opto Saint Pro or Culverin for $29.99? VIP and Tournament Giants for $24.99. Champion Roc3 for $29.99.

That is sad.