• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discbeeper

Discraft sells discs with a 5 gram range on them and no one cares, but 6 grams and all of a sudden everyone can tell the difference.

Discraft sells discs with a 5 gram range on them and no one cares, but 6 grams and all of a sudden everyone can tell the difference.

I agree. A friend and I still laugh about this guy from league who is around a mid-700s rated player. About a year ago he threw a drive that was pretty awful and he said "I should have thrown my 172 gram Teebird instead of the 174 Teebird". Yeah, that was exactly the problem.

Last edited:

It is more about where that weight is than the overall weight. Putting more weight in one spot will drastically change the flight, while evenly distributing it across the entire disc will change the flight very little, if at all.

Putting it right in the center will make the disc more understable because it is less gyroscopic.

For those of us who don't have the arm strength some players do, six grams is a lot of extra weight.

"I should have thrown my 172 gram Teebird instead of the 174 Teebird". Yeah, that was exactly the problem.

Well, the old saying is "Only a bad carpenter blames his tools"

Six grams isn't anything to worry about...doesn't make much difference in most discs. Your average new quarter weighs 5.7 grams. Go pick up a quarter and feel how heavy it is. Depends on the disc, but personally I don't notice much difference until the 8-10 gram mark (assuming the molds are pretty much identical).

That said, I won't be buying one of these...not for $29.95. Fun idea, and I like the rechargeable aspect of it, but it doesn't seem that useful for the price. Looks like it's constructed well and the switch might be the only weak link in regard to dust/water contamination over time...as long as the usb terminal is protected.

Six grams isn't anything to worry about...doesn't make much difference in most discs. Your average new quarter weighs 5.7 grams. Go pick up a quarter and feel how heavy it is. Depends on the disc, but personally I don't notice much difference until the 8-10 gram mark (assuming the molds are pretty much identical).

That said, I won't be buying one of these...not for $29.95. Fun idea, and I like the rechargeable aspect of it, but it doesn't seem that useful for the price. Looks like it's constructed well and the switch might be the only weak link in regard to dust/water contamination over time...as long as the usb terminal is protected.

I agree! It does seem like something a new player on a heavily wooded course would use though. Other than that great design and product but tempt me to buy.

It is more about where that weight is than the overall weight. Putting more weight in one spot will drastically change the flight, while evenly distributing it across the entire disc will change the flight very little, if at all.

Putting it right in the center will make the disc more understable because it is less gyroscopic.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. There is no way you can dump weight right in the center of the disc and not make it less gyroscopic. 6g's in the middle of your disc has to effect the flight even if they say it doesn't.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. There is no way you can dump weight right in the center of the disc and not make it less gyroscopic. 6g's in the middle of your disc has to effect the flight even if they say it doesn't.

I guess I never thought of that. Good point!

Could have used this at BAP yesterday! The fairways were freshly mowed but the rough was easily 18" high. My buddy and I both lost our high speed drivers (Xcal and Halo).

not to be difficult, but that's comparing apples to oranges. the difference in flight between a disc that weighs 169 and the same mold at 175 is not the same as the difference in flight between a disc that weighs 169 and the same disc with a 6g weight to the middle.

On paper, I can see this being true...in practice, I'm not so sure. I also think it would depend a lot on the type of disc. Seems like it would affect higher speed drivers with wide rims more than it would mids and fairways. Y'know what, though? I'm going to play with this tonight if it stops raining. Easy enough to duct tape a quarter on some discs and see what happens. :thmbup:

Here's a thought. To detect air conditioning freon leaks they pump a dye into the system and then shine a flourescent light on it. The dye shows up brightly. Why not use this dye on your discs and buy a nice flourescent light? You would probably have to go back after dark for best results but if you want your disc back it would be worth it.

Here's a thought. To detect air conditioning freon leaks they pump a dye into the system and then shine a flourescent light on it. The dye shows up brightly. Why not use this dye on your discs and buy a nice flourescent light? You would probably have to go back after dark for best results but if you want your disc back it would be worth it.

One of the guys I play with uses a UV light to find his bright MVP discs at night. They light up like a small fire.

Aftermarket dye won't stick to the plastic and RIT doesn't make the flourescent dyes anymore. However, the pigments in stock neon-colored discs will light up really nice with a uv flashlight. The problem is that most uv flashlights are pretty weak and don't reach much farther than 15' max, and that's assuming the light can reach it through grass, etc. I've used mine to find a neon yellow Roadrunner before, and it did help, but I knew pretty much where the disc was.

We used to wrap a little reflective tape around the nock end of arrows to help find them after dark. Can't see that helping much on a disc, though.

What if is skids under thick undergrowth or a tree-still might not find it that way.

For those of us who don't have the arm strength some players do, six grams is a lot of extra weight.

If I hand you a 161 leopard and a 166 leopard and you threw them, 10 times. I bet you would not be able to guess which is the 161 with enough confidence to bet your bag on it.

not to be difficult, but that's comparing apples to oranges. the difference in flight between a disc that weighs 169 and the same mold at 175 is not the same as the difference in flight between a disc that weighs 169 and the same disc with a 6g weight to the middle.

I understand that. I have a dragon with a beeper in it (that weights a lot more than 6 grams) the beeper turns the dragon into a firebird.
I understand placement is important, but if you need a beeper, you can not ask for better than 6 grams.

I understand placement is important, but if you need a beeper, you can not ask for better than 6 grams.

I think if you wanted to geek out and go minimal, you could get one at about 3.5 grams. Non-rechargeable non-waterproof with a 2016 battery and a different type of microswitch would get you there. But what the hell...who really cares right? :)

Latest posts