• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

That's very elaborate. I've got you but I'm drawing a disconnect from throwing higher with a lowered pull.

If you mean by what I said for what I have to do next there is a difference between throwing high and throwing high lines. High lines are kind of like throwing a Javelin. Javelin throws try to hit certain angles in order to maximize the distance on their throw. To high the spear stalls out and falls, to low and it glides right to the ground.

If they throw at a good angle the javelin will gain the right amount of height before traveling down and hopefully gliding some. With discs we can get some awesome glide. Mike C, would you mind explaining the height needed to have a good putter drive? I feel like you would be much more suited to this.

Just wanted to let you all know that discing down the past month has temporarily ruined my game. In all fairness, you told me this would happen with my score suffering in the short term while seeking a long term gain. I have to throw with a lot of hyzer using a leopard, buzzz, or wizard off the tee, where I used to just throw flat to anhyzer with faster discs to get my distance. I now have an involuntary hyzer motion where I used to have an involuntary anhyzer motion!!! I don't expect anyone to care, but thought I'd share this with others that may be thinking of doing this. BTW, my Buzzz's and Leopard's are going over 300' now where they used to be in the 270' range. So that part has been working, but I'm not throwing my faster discs as far now (Avenger, Boss) due to this hyzer release I've seemed to develop.

Why can't it all just be simple? <-- Rhetorical

Actually SlowRoll this is great and here is why. I'm having something of the same issue but now we have to trouble shoot our throws.

I too have noticed an involuntary hyzer release. I've been throwing a Ridge most of the summer and mixed in a few things here and there from time to time to learn different things. The trick now is when you use a fairway driver straighten your back up and down more. Not totally but a bit more. Doing this I put my Ascent 370'ish next to my buddies boss. However I hyzer swept a lot of shots learning this in the process or 12 holes to late. Doing this I've also gotten my Comet and Buzzz to 300'ish feet give or take.

And slowroll I do care, and don't you ever question that again.:p:sick::gross:

How far were you throwing your Avenger and Boss prior to discing down? How much more distance do you get from your Leopard over your Buzzz?

While I've found I do need a bit more hyzer when driving slower dics, by getting alot more spin on them, they are more likely to turn over much more slowly, as the spin tends to hold them in line. Also, I've learned to throw them on a slightly higher line, which will help resist the turn a bit.

It does have some impact on release angle, but it helps so much with cleaning up the release and increasing spin/snap that I find it worth it. I do alot of big driving practice with my Rocs, and I do mean full power drives.

Last edited:
Sounds like Toothyfish and Cfair have this covered but just wanted to note that I noticed this, by my Cheetah, Gazelle or Leopard go just as far hyzer-flipped as my Sidewinder or Monarch thrown flat were before, and in what I feel is a much more controlled motion. YMMV

you changed your av... Randy is cool and all... but... Darth Pimp... He could Force Choke A B!#%#...

"Oh what, I though this was America!"
"What do you wanna do huh, what do you wanna do?"

I have to throw with a lot of hyzer using a leopard, buzzz, or wizard off the tee, where I used to just throw flat to anhyzer with faster discs to get my distance. I now have an involuntary hyzer motion where I used to have an involuntary anhyzer motion!!!

You should be happy, that involuntary anhyzer motion makes it really easy to develop OAT in your throw, thanks to rolling your wrist over. I was the same way since I started playing with distance drivers like a dumbarse.

Your game will get better in a month or two, trust me. :thmbup:

You should be happy, that involuntary anhyzer motion makes it really easy to develop OAT in your throw, thanks to rolling your wrist over. I was the same way since I started playing with distance drivers like a dumbarse.

Your game will get better in a month or two, trust me. :thmbup:

I wouldn't even say a month or two if you try to correct it with the right disc to throw.

I meant to do something like this before, but this time I'm going to do it for real. What I have in mind is a condensed version of the process I went through to improve my form, but with the addition of applying it to all types of throws, not just BH distance throws.

The idea is to progressively use faster and faster discs, starting with a putter and ending with the fastest disc you feel 100% in control of, whatever that may be. You are to develop absolutely every kind of shot you can think of, and I do mean develop it, not just attempt it once or twice and give up. Here's what I'm planning:

-Remainder of September, try to play as little as possible to let a finger injury heal up (Broke my RH middle finger twice from skateboarding, lately it's been swelling up and has had limited movement in the last joint). When I do play I'm going to take the next week as time to play around with new discs or molds I don't normally throw, just for fun. Destroyer, Teebird, Firebird, Force, Boss, Nuke, Buzz SS, Monarch, Cheetah...just whatever I feel like carrying that week.

October break down:

-Week 1, just Wizards.
-Week 2, Wizards + Buzz, maybe Buzz SS too.
-Week 3, Wizards + Buzz + Stalker.
-Week 4, Wizards + Buzz + Stalker + Orc
-Week 5 and on the above + Predator and Drone.

Some specific things I intend to work on:

-Increase distance with every mold, as well as confidence throwing in various wind conditions with non-overstable discs.
-Practice "specialty shots" during every step, taking time to develop a good, not just "acceptable" FH, OH, FH / BH roller, spike hyzer and turnover shots, rather than just trying to throw far BH.
-See just how necessary my two overstable molds are.

I might make a new thread (Mike's Discing Down Adventures?) when I start the program. It's intended as a test run, because what I've outlined above is essentially what my website is going to focus on. The site is just going to be super in-depth with pictures, videos, explanations of why things should be done this way etc.

Last edited:
October break down:

-Week 1, just Wizards.
-Week 2, Wizards + Buzz, maybe Buzz SS too.
-Week 3, Wizards + Buzz + Stalker.
-Week 4, Wizards + Buzz + Stalker + Orc
-Week 5 and on the above + Predator and Drone

Some specific things I intend to work on:

-Increase distance with every mold, as well as confidence throwing in various wind conditions with non-overstable discs.
-Practice "specialty shots" during every step, taking time to develop a good, not just "acceptable" FH, OH, FH / BH roller, spike hyzer and turnover shots, rather than just trying to throw far BH.
-See just how necessary my two overstable molds are.

Fixed...

Leave the Drone home and cover those shots with either your Predator, your Stalker powered down, or your most stable Buzzz, with some more hyzer/nose up.

I know using the drivers sounds like discing up, but those "specialty" shots can usually be covered. In fact, if you are diligent in weeks 1 to 4, you'll already know the answer.

But I like the schedule approach...it forces some discipline and builds you in stages. Great idea!

My 3 cents...

I'll try it out. I picked up the Drone because for a 20+mph headwind approach in the 100-300' range I didn't like trying to power down my Pred, the Buzz's and wizards and Stalkers can flip in that sort of wind etc. It's only for drastic situations like that. But I'll give it an honest try.

It was really windy today. Did you get out?

I actually favor my Flick over my Pred for shorter overstable duties, but the Pred does basic headwind duties that need to stay straight. Of course it seems like a brand new KC Pro Roc doesnt do near as bad as my Cores.

It was really windy today. Did you get out?

I actually favor my Flick over my Pred for shorter overstable duties, but the Pred does basic headwind duties that need to stay straight. Of course it seems like a brand new KC Pro Roc doesnt do near as bad as my Cores.

I could see the Core struggling a bit...it's very neutral, which makes it nice for lines.

Good call on the new Roc, as long as it's not domey. I use my newest Roc as an overstable approach disc, when it's windy or I need a short skip, inside 200, rather than carry an overstable putter.

And then I use an Eagle for bigger fades or a Firebird for headwind inside 300.

I'll try it out. I picked up the Drone because for a 20+mph headwind approach in the 100-300' range I didn't like trying to power down my Pred, the Buzz's and wizards and Stalkers can flip in that sort of wind etc. It's only for drastic situations like that. But I'll give it an honest try.

That's the biggest part of it. Try. Then if you decide you need it, then at least you know what you can and can't do with your drivers.

Heck, if I lived in a really windy area, I might think differently.

I've got rid of my drivers to work on my form, and hopefully this leads to some distance. I cut out my x step for now too.

Here's what I'm throwing:

176 Z Buzzz
177 X Buzzz
177 X Wasp

170 Champ Aviar

159 2010 Ace Race disc* I just got this today, haven't had a chance to throw it yet, but I'm going to add it to my bag for now to see how I like it. I never even thrown a disc lighter than 169

I'm getting these mids to about 200 right now.

Any comments appreciated

Just wanted to let you all know that discing down the past month has temporarily ruined my game. In all fairness, you told me this would happen with my score suffering in the short term while seeking a long term gain. I have to throw with a lot of hyzer using a leopard, buzzz, or wizard off the tee, where I used to just throw flat to anhyzer with faster discs to get my distance. I now have an involuntary hyzer motion where I used to have an involuntary anhyzer motion!!! I don't expect anyone to care, but thought I'd share this with others that may be thinking of doing this. BTW, my Buzzz's and Leopard's are going over 300' now where they used to be in the 270' range. So that part has been working, but I'm not throwing my faster discs as far now (Avenger, Boss) due to this hyzer release I've seemed to develop.

Why can't it all just be simple? <-- Rhetorical
Now you have to ask yourself, is it my new, longer throw that's messed up or my old disc selection that was keeping me from throwing farther that was messed up?

Nearly everyone that goes through this exercise reevaluates what discs they choose to throw.

OK, I have been kind of discing down halfway for a few months. I throw nothing but mids and putters for all backhands. I breakout a Firebird or XXX for thumbers. It's my noodle are crutch. Plus I am getting fairly good at it from about 300'. So today I went down to a decent little course I like to play and tried out a new disc down set up. I shot a plus 1' while missing a few putts I normally would sink. Let me know if you guys like this disc down bag:

172 SS Wizard - all putts and approach's
175 Glo Wizard - Drives and headwind shots
174 HPP Wizard - Drives, heavily wooded approach's, and shots that needed a bit more fade
165 S Wizard - Tail wind drives

Would have broke par except for misjudging the Wizard's stability into a headwind and having an OB bogey on one one. Felt pretty good about the bag though. Benched my Ion and didn't really miss it.