• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

OK, I have been kind of discing down halfway for a few months. I throw nothing but mids and putters for all backhands. I breakout a Firebird or XXX for thumbers. It's my noodle are crutch. Plus I am getting fairly good at it from about 300'. So today I went down to a decent little course I like to play and tried out a new disc down set up. I shot a plus 1' while missing a few putts I normally would sink. Let me know if you guys like this disc down bag:

172 SS Wizard - all putts and approach's
175 Glo Wizard - Drives and headwind shots
174 HPP Wizard - Drives, heavily wooded approach's, and shots that needed a bit more fade
165 S Wizard - Tail wind drives

Would have broke par except for misjudging the Wizard's stability into a headwind and having an OB bogey on one one. Felt pretty good about the bag though. Benched my Ion and didn't really miss it.

Which course did you play?

I think your bag needs more Wizard.

Played OT Sloan in Sanford. Mostly short wooded holes. Lots of ace and birdie opps. There are a couple longer, fairly open holes as well. Good course to work putters on without getting punished.

I actually did have another Wizard me, but didn't use it. I'm thinking I could carry 4 Wizards and my XXX and do OK.

So I think I've successfully gone through the discing down period and threw nothing faster than a 6 speed. Is there a discing up period as well? Should I just use the same throw for drivers as for the slower discs?

So I think I've successfully gone through the discing down period and threw nothing faster than a 6 speed. Is there a discing up period as well? Should I just use the same throw for drivers as for the slower discs?

Just take baby steps. Jumping from speed 6 to speed 10 or more is not very productive.

Just take baby steps. Jumping from speed 6 to speed 10 or more is not very productive.

Thoroughly agreed. Discing down alters your throwing form and muscle memory so you need to get used to what faster discs need again. I had to relearn x-stepping, change my timing up, found that my distance grip needed to change, had issues with nose-up when I increased power for weeks... All part of the fun, but definitely worth the trouble for me.

Mike C and I had been talking a bit about the learning process and I think something might be helpful here that he and I kind of differed on. I believe in the idea of a "Tweener" disc. Lets say you disc down, like myself, and for a month or so only use a Ridge and Buzzz. Then you want to start to transition back into throwing drivers again. However making the jump from Buzzz to Teebird is a bit much so you would select something like a Cyclone or Gazelle that is a slower/shorter fairway driver to relearn the technique to throwing winged discs again. However you don't need to forever commit to this single disc but it is merely the ladder to get you to that next step. I myself have been using a Cyclone to help me back in the groove of things and it has been working out pretty well.

I feel like you can even almost see this process in mike's bag Wizard - Buzzz - Stalker (which is a shorter fairway according to Joe's Flight Chart) - Orc with the Orc being a "slower/shorter" distance driver. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he worked back in his destroyers soon.

Is your location (behind you) ment to be scary or homosexual... Or both?
It's humor from the ancient and hilarious FPS Rise of the Triad. Writeup that briefly includes the "remote ridicule" feature here. I find it vaguely amusing in my decrepitude. I'm in Escondido, CA, actually.

Sorry for the threadjack, I had no idea my location was so attention-grabbing that it would cause spontaneous trollery. I'm kind of honored.

Mike C and I had been talking a bit about the learning process and I think something might be helpful here that he and I kind of differed on. I believe in the idea of a "Tweener" disc. Lets say you disc down, like myself, and for a month or so only use a Ridge and Buzzz. Then you want to start to transition back into throwing drivers again. However making the jump from Buzzz to Teebird is a bit much so you would select something like a Cyclone or Gazelle that is a slower/shorter fairway driver to relearn the technique to throwing winged discs again. However you don't need to forever commit to this single disc but it is merely the ladder to get you to that next step. I myself have been using a Cyclone to help me back in the groove of things and it has been working out pretty well.

I feel like you can even almost see this process in mike's bag Wizard - Buzzz - Stalker (which is a shorter fairway according to Joe's Flight Chart) - Orc with the Orc being a "slower/shorter" distance driver. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he worked back in his destroyers soon.

I agree, even if it is a stepping stone and eventually does not become a permanent part of you bag. I learned alot using Gazelles as they gave me confidence to throw on lines like I did my mids. I've since replaced them with Eagles, and when I made the change, I did loose some control. But, by making adjustments, got alot of it back.

Another tweener step I strongly recommend taking is using speed 9 drivers for a while. We all tend to disc down to putters, mids, and fairways. But once we've passed the fairway phase, it's tempting to jump back in to higher speed drivers. I opted to use speed 9s as distance drivers for about 6 months, before testing faster drivers. There are alot of good choices here: Strikers, PDs, OLFs, Avengers, and so on.

As the discs get faster, gripping wider rims, throwing more nose down, maintaining control and other issues become a bigger factor. They could be considered overlap with Teebirds and Eagles and others in the speed 7 range, but there is still valuable learning here. Of course, if you fall in love with Gazelles or Cyclones, the speed 9s are a perfect fit.

^^^
1st Paragraph) Exactly it lets you transition and keep some of that ability to line shape, hold high lines, but most importantly you begin to adjust for nose down. Its also great that it doesn't take much to get that control back at that point when you do switch to the longer fairways.

2nd Paragraph) That is what I was trying to suggest as well but left it out. I think that is why mike c loves his orc so much, granted the orc is a good disc and mike is an exhaustive player (meaning he exhausts all possibilities for FH, BH, OH, annies, rollers, and such).

3rd Paragraph)
Yup using stepping stones is good. The reason I thought about this is because I have it in my head that the reason so many pros are as good as they are is that they developed as disc technology did. So they didn't get the chance to go from a Teebird to a Boss. They went Teebird, Orc, Beast, Wraith, Destroyer, Boss step by step by step.

Great thread.

I'm just getting back into disc golf after a 12 year hiatus. I went out with my old golfing buddies on a whim about a month ago and got bit by the bug again. I'm not sure there were any disc golf websites like this back then, but I didn't know anything about anything about the game. I've learned a lot over the past month.

I've picked up about a dozen discs in the last month (boy have those changed) and I realized a couple days ago that my selections have been driver heavy. The only non-drivers I got are a Buzzz, a Rattler and a Voodoo.

I've been practicing almost everyday. As for my distance, I was well short of 200 a few weeks ago. I've built that up to about 260 using a Stalker, Flash, Cyclone, Eagle, Teebird, etc.

Upon reading this thread I decided to go out to the park and practice with only my Buzzz and Voodoo. At first I was throwing the Voodoo ~125 and the Buzzz ~200. I found the Voodoo very helpful in exposing OAT. I found the Buzzz very rewarding in increased distance after making corrections to the flaws that the Voodoo exposed. At the end of about an hour of practice, I was consistently and accurately throwing the Voodoo ~220 and the Buzzz ~280. That's pretty good for an hour. I'm looking forward to exploiting this.

In the meantime, I'm interested in picking up a few discs, not necessarily to make a mid-only bag, but to experiment with different discs to see what I like. I already have a Core on the way, which is in a similar class with the Buzzz. I'm thinking of getting a Comet, as I see that many think it is a great disc for exposing flaws, and maybe a Roc or Wasp, to see what a more overstable mid is like. I'm also interested in a Wizard to compare to the Voodoo, and also because it is a bit less overstable, which I actually prefer in a putter, if not in a putter-as-driver.

That's my experience so far...

Actually Wizards are more stable than Voodoo's, but not by a huge margin.

I'm going to take everything but wizards out of my bag until the 2nd week of October starting right now. One of the first things I'm going to do is make a check list for my most frequently played courses. Next to each hole, I'll check off all the ones I know I can park with my Wizard. I'm going to focus on getting ones I can't currently check off to motivate me.

Well, I find that confusing. According to Gateway's site and the flight charts for the discs, the Voodoo has more fade than the Wizard. Your reply prompted me to do a quick search, and it seems some here have the same opinion as you.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll go with that Ridge I've been eyeing.

Ridges are even more stable than Wizards, and have less glide.

Wizards and Voodoo's fly similar, the Voodoo just turns a touch more easily in the high speed part of it's flight, and doesn't fade quite as hard, but the differences are not extreme. Putting with them they'll fly pretty close.

Ridges are certainly more overstable than Wizards I'm not so sure about the glide but I do know that Joe's flight chart has it listed as shorter than other putters. This has not held me back tough because I love Vibram's material (and they look cool, YAY!) and the way I'm going to structure my bag makes it fine.

I like to keep a Summit and Comet in my bag to keep my honest.

I'm going to take everything but wizards out of my bag until the 2nd week of October starting right now. One of the first things I'm going to do is make a check list for my most frequently played courses. Next to each hole, I'll check off all the ones I know I can park with my Wizard. I'm going to focus on getting ones I can't currently check off to motivate me.

Well, I find that confusing. According to Gateway's site and the flight charts for the discs, the Voodoo has more fade than the Wizard. Your reply prompted me to do a quick search, and it seems some here have the same opinion as you.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll go with that Ridge I've been eyeing.

Ridges are even more stable than Wizards, and have less glide.

Wizards and Voodoo's fly similar, the Voodoo just turns a touch more easily in the high speed part of it's flight, and doesn't fade quite as hard, but the differences are not extreme. Putting with them they'll fly pretty close.

The Wizard is more stable/overstable by design, but the Voodoo is a bit faster.

So at slow speeds the Voodoo will fade out (imagine powering down a driver vs throwing a mid) by the fact that it is faster. But higher speed it can turnover a bit easier due the fact that it is less stable.

Make sense?

The Wizard is more stable/overstable by design, but the Voodoo is a bit faster.

So at slow speeds the Voodoo will fade out (imagine powering down a driver vs throwing a mid) by the fact that it is faster. But higher speed it can turnover a bit easier due the fact that it is less stable.

Make sense?

Total sense. Great explanation. Presuming, of course, that I understand it, which if I do, by extension, a Wizard should be able to hold a straight line at a slightly lower speed before fading out. I can see why that would be desirable for putting.

Anyway, I went ahead and picked up a Wizard eraser 174 today. Didn't get to try it out yet, but I like the way it feels.

To get a bit more on track I would like to note that I picked up a Firm Ridge and Summit. I've gotten to toss them a bit for both drives and putts and I think I like the Firms for putting the most. I'm going to play around with them only for a few weeks and then make a choice.

I started using a comet to learn better technique but I think the Summits, if I keep them or not, will always go beside this disc for practice. The Summits just require OAT free form and a good feel for hyzer angles and wrist to achive different shots and effects. However I do believe that the Ridge at the end of the day will be in my bag for serious play.

Latest posts